IGNORED

Panzer Strike

Vorticon

Finally i won ElAlamein battle with 1 panzer destroyed.. first i lose because i wrong strategy.. i think (wrong) that on hill terrain was can possible line of fire.. equal on terrain that show ruin of destroyed panzer. Only a idea i no understand.. if your panzer no use full movement,(at example remain 1.0 point for move) it fire first of opponent or is random??

Edited by Astharot

Congratulations :)

As to your question, firing initiative is always random in an attempt to simulate the unpredictable conditions that affect tank crews in the heat of battle.

Regarding line of sight, mountains, forests, other tanks and tank wreckage all block line of sight.

So first scenario report: The alien Shermans were really no match for the humans' T44's and Tigers fortunately. Utter destruction of the murderous invaders ensued with only one unfortunate loss for the brave resistance.

On to the next chapter...

PS: I have attached a larger disk image that includes all the original as well as the Alien Strike ones.

PSTRIKE.dsk

Third scenario: Resupply - Well nuts... Humanity is definitely starving I'm afraid. Two tries, two losses. The damn Jagdpanther is too powerful at most ranges. I do have a new strategy in mind that should have a reasonable chance of working though. More to come :)

By the way, I made minor enhancements to the AI movement and targeting routines, which likely made the AI even more challenging. The updated dsk image is attached here and to the first message in this topic.

PSTRIKE.dsk

• Like 1

I don't think that will be necessary. The changes are really minor, and only apparent under a specific set of circumstances. For example, the AI previously allowed a maximum of 2 of its tanks to target the same enemy tank, the rationale being to avoid the trap of having all the computer controlled tanks rushing towards a single player tank and ignoring the maneuvers of the rest of the enemy tanks. This had the odd effect of otherwise in range AI tanks ignoring a close enemy tank when they could actually fire at it, and this was particularly apparent when only a couple of enemy tanks were left. Now the AI will take into account the number of remaining enemy tanks (those at least visible to it) when selecting targets.

Another change eliminated the needless random facing changes for the AI tanks when adjacent to an enemy target. This will minimize the inadvertent exposure of the more vulnerable flank and rear armor to enemy fire.

Thats some cool stuff Vorticon!!

AI is proving to be a tough nut to crack for me right now. I always find it fascinating how software programmers handle case-specific stuff without it turning into a big "cross-your-fingers-and-pray" hack job (like mine is right now)

:)

Have only had minimal time to play this game, but from what i have seen, the replay value is tremendous.

:thumbsup:

I don't think that will be necessary. The changes are really minor, and only apparent under a specific set of circumstances. For example, the AI previously allowed a maximum of 2 of its tanks to target the same enemy tank, the rationale being to avoid the trap of having all the computer controlled tanks rushing towards a single player tank and ignoring the maneuvers of the rest of the enemy tanks. This had the odd effect of otherwise in range AI tanks ignoring a close enemy tank when they could actually fire at it, and this was particularly apparent when only a couple of enemy tanks were left. Now the AI will take into account the number of remaining enemy tanks (those at least visible to it) when selecting targets.

Another change eliminated the needless random facing changes for the AI tanks when adjacent to an enemy target. This will minimize the inadvertent exposure of the more vulnerable flank and rear armor to enemy fire.

Ahh ok :) cool

Thats some cool stuff Vorticon!!

AI is proving to be a tough nut to crack for me right now. I always find it fascinating how software programmers handle case-specific stuff without it turning into a big "cross-your-fingers-and-pray" hack job (like mine is right now)

:)

Have only had minimal time to play this game, but from what i have seen, the replay value is tremendous.

:thumbsup:

Hah! Finally won the Resupply mission without a single loss. My strategy worked :)

The Attack scenario was also won without too much difficulty as I was able to use a couple of tanks as bait while my main forces sneaked around to the target. It helped quite a bit however that I had the firing initiative most of the time though.

I also barely won the Defeat mission, mostly on account that the last enemy tank was blocked by wreckage and could not get to my last surviving tank in time he he...

As for the End mission, nicely done ending indeed :)

I had a lot of fun playing these scenarios, as for once I did not create them and so had no idea what to expect.

@Iwantgames:): Would you be willing to put together a short document describing the Alien Strike scenarios along with estimated levels of difficulty? I'd like to include it with the final package when I publish it on the TI Gameshelf site.

very nice! only complaint is i need the manual or catalog open to pick a scenerio :) and that's probably my lazyness

I thought about having a specific naming convention for the scenarios and then have a routine scan the disk and list all the available scenarios, but I did not have enough memory left to do so. I suppose I could have created a separate chained program for that purpose, and that's probably *my* laziness :)

• 2 months later...

One thing would be interesting... a way to 'adjust' the enemy forces level of training. If all my opponents drove a tank like the guy below, I'd never have a problem winning!

1242228959579551042.gif

In tank warfare they say that the best position to get your tank into is a "top down" position, I think this guy took it a little too literally. :)

One thing would be interesting... a way to 'adjust' the enemy forces level of training. If all my opponents drove a tank like the guy below, I'd never have a problem winning!

1242228959579551042.gif

Well, the scenarios are rated for difficulty level. For example, it is really hard to lose the El Alamein or the first Alien Strike scenarios. The AI tactics do not change but their effectiveness varies with the type of tanks commanded. Hilarious video by the way :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...