IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

Perhaps bumping the voltage slightly to say 5.25V or even 5.5V (limit for 10% safety tolerance) on a 7800 could kick non-compliant parts into working, if it's a voltage issue? A slight voltage bump would also decrease the rise and fall times on logic chips without causing excessive heating of the parts. If the EPROMs are responding too quickly, then the decreased rise and fall time of the logic in the 6502 and Maria may cure the issue.

I think it is about the amperage but voltage stability could also be an issue. I wouldn't take it over voltage but try to stay at nominal.

And again, people who miss the convo will not be able to get anything. :sad:

There's nothing more than hope that attendees this year will be able to get anything either. Fred hasn't said anything to lead people to believe he'll make any more available anytime soon, at any convention.

Edited by DrVenkman

why prevent a release for problems that may hit 2% of consoles?

I don't know about most of you guys but I get spare consoles (accidents happen unfortunately) just incase something like this occurs.

I'd sure take the chance as the odds on in your favor.

Should be ready early next year, I hope.

Got these in two weeks ago :) The hardware was redesigned from the ground up, and I have to rewrite much of the code too. When I have something more to show you all, I will.

But this will be the final major redesign. Really.

I think I see a Super FX chip.

post-39356-0-07145100-1473358447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moo
  • Like 1

I ordered a 7800 off eBay last night as there just happened to be a cheap one with buy it now. I can't resist cheap consoles... :)

I'll be doing some R&D on the 7800 in the coming weeks. If there's no movement on this existing cart (I see it's been a while!) I'll start knocking up a prototype. I'm not sure how it'll slot in with the Jag and NeoGeoPocket hardware I'm doing... possibly after the Jag... depends on how complex it ends up being. I'm slotting the NGPC in while doing the Jag as its looking very simple. The 7800 is a little more complex with multiple mappers and optional Pokey.

I don't want to take over this thread, I'll start another one when I make some progress, just wanted to say officially I'm interested. ;)

I never really knew what the 7800 was until last night. I've got an old Atari 800 and 2600 in the attic from a job lot of old hardware I bought, but never used them much as a kid. My past was mostly species, amstrads and then the ST before everything went PC. :(

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I haven't been active for a while. Not due to disinterest but life. I have had some health problems, and although not life-threatening, they have been debilitating. And of course I have been busy, but also I've had some other personal things this year on top of it all. It's been the hardest year of my life since... well, I don't know. I may share later about it all on one of the non-public subforums. I think I am finally on the right track again, and back to Atari stuff some more.

On that note, I have been making some effort toward fixing those bugs in Concerto BIOS. Some consoles work great, some have minor issues and some would load almost no games at all. I bought about a dozen 7800s and found some exhibiting all known bugs.

The bugs prevented me from selling the rest of the original lot of pre-production Concertos. I have maybe twenty of them still. I have mostly solved the loading issue, which is the most serious issue I believe, and that is enough for me to sell the remaining units - they will be available at PRGE this weekend. After the weekend, if any are left, I will make those available here, and then work toward an official release of Concerto.

I know there is competition right now, including existing products and other announced products and that is fine with me, but as long as I believe Concerto is still viable I will keep working on it.

Price will be $119 for a bare board and $129 for a board in a case. As of now there are no labels yet nor a manual of any kind. I will provide a way to contact me at the show in the coming days.

I will also post a BIOS update here for existing Concerto owners to try - I should have something in a day or two.

Again, sorry about the long delay with all of this stuff!

• Like 23

Hello all,

I haven't been active for a while. Not due to disinterest but life. I have had some health problems, and although not life-threatening, they have been debilitating. And of course I have been busy, but also I've had some other personal things this year on top of it all. It's been the hardest year of my life since... well, I don't know. I may share later about it all on one of the non-public subforums. I think I am finally on the right track again, and back to Atari stuff some more.

On that note, I have been making some effort toward fixing those bugs in Concerto BIOS. Some consoles work great, some have minor issues and some would load almost no games at all. I bought about a dozen 7800s and found some exhibiting all known bugs.

The bugs prevented me from selling the rest of the original lot of pre-production Concertos. I have maybe twenty of them still. I have mostly solved the loading issue, which is the most serious issue I believe, and that is enough for me to sell the remaining units - they will be available at PRGE this weekend. After the weekend, if any are left, I will make those available here, and then work toward an official release of Concerto.

I know there is competition right now, including existing products and other announced products and that is fine with me, but as long as I believe Concerto is still viable I will keep working on it.

Price will be $119 for a bare board and $129 for a board in a case. As of now there are no labels yet nor a manual of any kind. I will provide a way to contact me at the show in the coming days.

I will also post a BIOS update here for existing Concerto owners to try - I should have something in a day or two.

Again, sorry about the long delay with all of this stuff!

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you are doing better and I'm looking forward the the Concerto!

• Like 1

Ah Life, it always seems to get in the way of itself.

Glad you are feeling you are back on the right track, I hate falling off them myself.

I would like to throw my name in the hat for a Concerto cart as well, after any others have picked up any remaining.

• Like 1