IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

I'm getting close to having tha JagSD done, so I'll see what's next. 7800 might be a simple project after the Jaguar... it's been rather complex! :)

I actually had a breadboard multicart somewhat mostly working, then I switched to a older machine and all hell broke loose and I said fk this, even if I did get it working I am not dedicated enough to get it working 110% over every possible game and system

even then it was limited to 32k games with no options and worked about 1 out of 3 boot cycles lol ... it was a fun 4th of july plant shutdown vacation though, and I learned a lot about the 7800's hardware so win win, but you can have the holy grail (you are 1000x better at this type of thing anyway)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

I've had a look at it all again, and it looks simple enough. I thought there may be some issue with CMOS chips or something on the mainboard causing the issues, but it doesn't seem that way. I'm guessing the issue with reliability with different models could to be down to a coupe of factors -- possibly the drive strength on the bus or glitchy signals causing issues with faster logic.

It does look like it should be simple from a design point of view. One 3.3v ASIC with voltage translating buffers and one 5v SRAM. The ASIC handling banking, BOOT ROM and memory card access and the SRAM in-place of the ROM and SRAM on the carts. A 1MB SRAM should do it. Can also be battery backed for savegame cart purposes.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

I've had a look at it all again, and it looks simple enough. I thought there may be some issue with CMOS chips or something on the mainboard causing the issues, but it doesn't seem that way. I'm guessing the issue with reliability with different models could to be down to a coupe of factors -- possibly the drive strength on the bus or glitchy signals causing issues with faster logic.

It does look like it should be simple from a design point of view. One 3.3v ASIC with voltage translating buffers and one 5v SRAM. The ASIC handling banking, BOOT ROM and SD card access and the SRAM in-place of the ROM and SRAM on the carts. A 1MB SRAM should do it. Can also be battery backed for savegame cart purposes.

Unless you already have grey hair, be prepared for some. ;) After the 7800 MCP, I dyed all mine grey.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been staying away from the 7800 forum for awhile hoping there'd be at least SOME news when I popped back in.

Alas ... :(

You and me both. Have faith in SainT once he's done with the JagSD Multi-Cart.

And I pity the Lynx-owning malaka who doesn't own SainT's Lynx SD Adapter. It is primo! Buy it. Now.

• Like 1

SainT, sign me up for both the Jag SD and a 7800 SD if you get around to one.

When the demand exceeds the supply, pseudo lists start to exist from nothing. Like the universe itself. Yet again we experience floccinaucinihilipilification.

• Like 1

When the demand exceeds the supply, pseudo lists start to exist from nothing. Like the universe itself. Yet again we experience floccinaucinihilipilification.

Hahaha. I think I learned a new word today... :D

floc·ci·nau·ci·ni·hil·i·pil·i·fi·ca·tion

ˌfläksəˌnôsəˌnīˌhiləˌpiləfiˈkāSHən

noun

the action or habit of estimating something as worthless. (The word is used chiefly as a curiosity.).

https://www.google.com/search?q=floccinaucinihilipilification&oq=floccinaucinihilipilification&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.1089j0j7&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Subscribed. I cannot believe an SD cart doesn't exist for 7800 yet. Wow.

well, There was the Cuttle Cart 2 - that exists, but is no longer in production or being supported.

there was another attempt at making one in the Concerto/Harmony 7800 cart, which also exists in limited beta quantities, but it's not really finished and isn't compatible on all 7800 motherboard revisions. It also appears to have become abandonware.

It would be great if Igor/Krikzz would drop one on us, but he only concentrates on retro systems with large enough audiences that make a profit for him, which is understandable.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

That's where I come in... ;)

I seriously hope you can avoid the compatibility pitfalls that have sidetracked and potentially derailed the Concerto. Especially if you can support an on-board POKEY (preferably at the "proper" address ranges that have already been adopted by the community, for maximum existing ROM compatibility and to encourage future programmers to take advantage of it!).

• Like 1

That's where I come in... ;)

Can't wait for this to become reality. We are very fortunate to have such skilled and dedicated talent here among our Atari community. SainT, thanks for all of you hard work in making these great product that are breathing new life, and adding value to these old Atari systems that we all so fondly cherish.

Once the JagSD is done, the 7800 will be like a holiday... lol. :evil:

Yeah, I definitely plan of making this my holiday gift. Gonna smile big time if if find this under my Christmas tree.

• Like 1