IGNORED

sd cartridge for 7800?

metzger130

Was not implying anything, I'd like to know too, but I can wait. :) Easy for me to say though, since I have my own cart to run random binaries on.

I want my own cart to run random binaries on... With an SD card. :P

Another thing I am xurious about: When the 7800 flash cart loads a 2600 ROM, how does one boot out of 7800 mode and into 2600?

GB Everdrive triggers the internal reset line of the Game Boy in order to allow ROMs to boot in SGB or GBC mode. But as far as I know, the 7800 flash cart does not actually reset the system as there is no reset line on the 7800 cartridge port. Also as I understand it, 7800 ROMs loaded from an SD need not be signed because the "rainbow" integrity check only appears during initialization of the flash cart boot ROM and not when flash is loaded.

I would be just as happy with a one-rom-at-time solution especially if it could be done over blutooth. Hell i would be happy if it was a SuoerCharger type gadget. Just load sound files via my mp3 player as I used to do with my 2600 before the Harmony Cart came out.

SD is obviously the goal but let's not forget the main goal: play some damn games, especially the really rare ones and of course homebrew

I don't even have Bluetooth on my laptop. USB is 1,000x better. SD card is 1,000,000x better... :D

I love sio2bt on the a8. No need to plug anything in, always ready click the ap select the game power on atari done. Even making it so the android phone acts as a modem of sorts to communicate thru the atari to bt and also thousands of games. But the 7800 is another story with different hardware etc. I thought the xm could be an avenue for perhaps a setup like the 8 bit ataris have going on.

I love sio2bt on the a8. No need to plug anything in, always ready click the ap select the game power on atari done. Thousands of games. But the 7800 is another story altogether.

Well if you don't like plugging stuff up, you are in the wrong hobby my friend. At least two TVs (SD CRT and HDTV), one dozen consoles, multiple controllers for each, power/rf cables, and you've got "black spaghetti" everywhere. It's how we roll... :lol:

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Well if you don't like plugging stuff up, you are in the wrong hobby my friend. At least two TVs (SD CRT and HDTV), one dozen consoles, multiple controllers for each, power/rf cables, and you've got "black spaghetti" everywhere. It's how we roll... :lol:

Yeah I know.. Maybe I like the Bt cause it is different from the normal way of doing things, feels like magic. Yes loading takes longer etc. but it is faster than a cassette tape. :P

I try to take good care of my equipment. That said, I have had consoles get knocked about with the vibration causing the game to seize up while in the cart bay, and have on occasion have accidentally ripped games out or inserted them while forgetting to turn the power off.

I've had a couple SRAM game saves get corrupted or wiped due to mishandling, but have never witnessed permanent damage to game carts or systems due to being yanked out while the power is on. Game carts are made of tougher stuff than that.

I'm not suggesting that damage due to improper cart loading hygiene is impossible; I just have not seen any empirical evidence anywhere to show that damage due to mishandling during load operations is likely.

I have already had a PC Engine Everdrive go tits up due to grubby hands (Krizz sorted it out), a bit of plastic over the PCB with a red dot and the writing "Press here to change game" helped.

And a spilled pint nearly wetting the base of my Vectrex (Thanks for putting a handle on it and to my quick reactions)

I do get idiots and louts coming, but that's the problem with gaming free-for-alls that im used to.

I have quite a few story's of such moments and the idiocy of people that pretend to know about things they don't (I my self anit the most knowledgeable, vintage computers is a low point in my brain)

And people wonder why I rarely use original discs and carts

Anyway thats the end of this off topicness

I still want something with a load of 700/2600 games on

Edited by DBloke

Hokey is not what's holding this up. Just a simple matter of being busy. However, I am making a charge to have something at PRGE. My intention is to have a handful of pre-release versions for sale. Hokey will probably not be ready so buyers should expect to install their own Pokey chips if they need them. Of course things can always go wrong but right now the prognosis is good.

Are the Hokeys holding this project up? Why not do like Krikzz did with the Super Everdrive and release a cost-reduced version without the Pokey (so gamers can either add their own or use the Pokey in the forthcoming XM...)

• Like 16

Hokey is not what's holding this up. Just a simple matter of being busy. However, I am making a charge to have something at PRGE. My intention is to have a handful of pre-release versions for sale. Hokey will probably not be ready so buyers should expect to install their own Pokey chips if they need them. Of course things can always go wrong but right now the prognosis is good.

Usually id say a project shared is one made easier

It only the Saturn and Dreamcast drive replacement bloke would learn this phrase, got a price in mind so I can set some cash into the "DO NOT SPEND DIVHEAD!!" pile?

Blimey, what did you guys do to the 7800 forum whilst I was away?

It's turned into the jaguar forum.

Yeah, no kidding. Good that Albert popped in.

Yeah, funny. I too laugh at a console with a built in POKEY, a ZIF cartridge slot, 16K RAM, pause and select buttons on the controller, 4-joystick ports, and the most kick-ass accessory controller ever [the CX-53 Trak-Ball]. How much of that does the 7800 have? Oh, wait...

I often wonder how things would have been if the 400/800 came out as a console first, and the 2600 only lasted 2 years. Another topic for another forum...

Now on to the topic. I'm looking forward to the Concerto. Now that Wifey is sort of starting to play when I pull the consoles out, This would be great. I just ordered an AV mod kit for my 7800.

Wouldn't it be nice if it and the XM were released together? Hmmm... Maybe Batari and Curt are planning something? One can only hope!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't coordinated anything with the XM creators except to add a signature to Concerto's boot image so the XM will detect it and know not to conflict with its hardware. That was some time ago so I don't know if that signature is still valid. Other than that, it's plodding along nicely.

For those who can't make it to PRGE, if I have any left after the weekend, they will be made available here. It's very possible. When Harmony was pre-released, many opted to wait for the release version instead when I told them it would only be a few months.

• Like 1

I haven't coordinated anything with the XM creators except to add a signature to Concerto's boot image so the XM will detect it and know not to conflict with its hardware. That was some time ago so I don't know if that signature is still valid. Other than that, it's plodding along nicely.

What type of errors would these conflicts cause? I imagine the Concerto has several of the same components that the XM module does, mainly extra on board RAM and Hokey/Pokey.

I thought of this as well: Since the XM uses a slightly different address compared to native carts, could a "dual Pokey" homebrew sound demo could be created to utilize both the Concerto and XM Pokey? :D