IGNORED

How hard to simultaneously develop a game for 5200 / A8?

I just recently did a port of an Atari 8-bit game to a 5200. In fact you can do it with a single source in parallel if you stick to some rules.

I have two "Main" Files that define the system specifics and a single "game" include.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224914-alien-swarm-hack-request/?p=3078433

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 2

Developing for both in parallel would make things harder in that you have to apply constraints that the 5200 imposes to both versions.

Main one being that only 16K Ram is available.

Other issues are pretty trivial mainly:

- Controller input very different but seperate routines translating input to a common format would be easy.

- IO addresses different except Antic, simply using labels and conditional assembly can take care of that.

- OS services different, fairly easy to cater for, ie do it within the program and take that dependancy away.

- Ram-based OS variables different. Once again, do your own shadowing and services as above.

- cartridge address space 32K for 5200 only 16K possible on computer. Banking schemes can be various on both, a banked 16K cart scheme could be used on both where top 8K is static and lower 8K changes, actual switching mechanism would likely be different but once again seperate routines/conditional assembly makes it easier.

• Like 1

Different HW address space can be easier to manage with XASM assembler. This is extracted from the XASM help:

Abbreviations of Atari hardware registers are provided to save two characters ($d40e vs ^4e) and to facilitate porting software between Atari 8-bit computers and the Atari 5200 console. These are very similar machines, one of the biggest differences is the location of hardware registers.

post-3960-0-08478400-1413353165_thumb.png
  • Like 1

I'll pick one of the conversions I've done and post up the sources for it.
These are generally split into two folders, one for each platform, and so a diff-tool can easily highlight the typically changes required.

Having done A8->5200 ports, these tend to supply a replacement joystick/keyboard engine in the 5200 to simulate the digital joysticks on the A8 but aside from that it is mostly memory layout considerations ($4000->$BFFF = ROM on 5200)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...