IGNORED

Do I need an Atari 2600?

Einhander

Hello, new here. I began video game collecting a year ago. I also have a PS4. I have all playstations and most nintendos. Now I never once thought I'd be interested in Atari. I didn't grow up with it. But I went to a retro arcade and had a blast playing these old school games. There's something really cool about these games. I liked Robotron, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, etc

However, I have played an Atari collection on PS2 and I hated it. I played an Atari baseball game and it was really weird. My friend also played the PS2 atari collection and had no idea how to play these games, it seemed like there was glitches.

On ebay it seems like the cost of the console is rather pricey. Now here is my question. Would you say most of these games are available on playstation collections and/or phones?

I'm very intrigued adding all these old school games to my collection, but the last thing I want to do is add stuff I don't like. I don't know the Atari very well. So I'm a little confused if it's worth it. People who grew up with it seem to LOVE it. Is it just nostalgia or is there another reason?

Lastly, if Robotron is the game I love, is it not on the 2600? I read 2600 was the better Atari.

It sounds to me you wouldn't be a likely candidate to own an Atari 2600. Most of us "older" folks grew up with it, so there's a touch of nostalgia there that has me enjoying a game or two of Atari 2600 every day. You can always emulate (Stella) and see if you like it, but to me, from your post, it sounds like you wouldn't. Perhaps the arcade faithful games (exact replicas) would be more to your liking than Atari 2600 games. I'm sure there are many collections of old Atari 2600 games on various systems, including the PC (Atari Hits volume one and two), but these are arcade hits, not Atari 2600 games.

It's a question of love...if you didn't like the games when you played them, then you won't like owning an Atari 2600 with some games.

• Like 4

I would suggest buying a Atari flashback 4 or 5, these are new consoles looking like small 2600 units with 75 and 95 games built into them respectively, running emulators. They connect to your TV with AV cables and they are quite cheap, the Flashback 5 being priced around 30 to 40 dollars. They come with joysticks and can use paddles.

Its a good try to see if you like the system. I got one and it got me hooked on 2600 and not long after i got a real system and a bunch of games.

Its a better experience than playing the games on an emulator on the pc or on the playstation in my opinion.

On a sidenote i am way too young to have experienced the 2600 as a kid, growing up during the SNES and PS1 heydays so for me it was a newfound love and not a nostalgic old love renewed.

Edited by Raticon
  • Like 2

I guess people think so for the same reasons some people like the NES better than the Retron console that plays the NES games and a ton of other consoles games - a matter of opinion, nostalgia and love for a particular system.

I kind of like to play my PS1 games on the PS1 and not the PS2 because the PS1 has a way cooler and more badass startup screen ;). Even though the PS2 is backwards compatible and generals a better system.

Edited by Raticon

Well over 95% I'd say. The only 2600 title I've had issues with on 7800's was 3D Tic-Tac-Toe.

There are lots of reasons some would say the 2600 was the best. here's a few:

-It had the most games for a system of its era

- was possibly the most durable and reliable

- best controls of the time

- currently the easiest system of its time to get into

If you only bought one, I'd 2nd the recommendation of getting a 7800. You can play the 2600 classics, the 7800's more arcade-like games, and the newest homebrew games for the system. IMHO, that's where the 7800 shines.

Is that right? When you say majority about how high of a percentage? If it's backwards compatible, why do people say 2600 is the best?

>95%. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read before that Imagic games don't fit. I use my 7800 to play both 2600 and 7800 titles. I even have Imagic games but I rarely play them to even remember if they fit or not in the 7800. Of course, if you get a 2600 multicart this is a moot point.

With the 7800 you'll have the option of playing higher quality games plus backwards compatibility with Atari 2600. The 7800 home brews coming out rock. The "should I get a 2600" question comes up frequently and my answer is always the same: get a 7800.

Get yourself a 7800. The arcade conversions of Atari titles that you might be familiar with are better on that system. And the best of the best (River Raid, etc) from the 2600 can be played on it.

Realistically the 7800 is a notch or two down in performance from the NES, so unless you're really into the idea of retro gaming you might want to save yourself the money.

Edited by travistouchdown

>95%. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read before that Imagic games don't fit. I use my 7800 to play both 2600 and 7800 titles. I even have Imagic games but I rarely play them to even remember if they fit or not in the 7800. Of course, if you get a 2600 multicart this is a moot point.

With the 7800 you'll have the option of playing higher quality games plus backwards compatibility with Atari 2600. The 7800 home brews coming out rock. The "should I get a 2600" question comes up frequently and my answer is always the same: get a 7800.

Imagic games seem to not fit the later 7800 models. Earlier ones (i.e. with the expansion port) plays them just fine. I've yet to have any incompatibility with any cart I own. There's a list somewhere. Generally, though, earlier models are better.

One thing though...

It sounds like you might mainly be enjoying the actual coin-op arcade games, rather than the Atari adaptations. Your best bet with those, including Robotron, is to play the actual games in Mame, with a custom dual arcade stick. That will provide the most authentic arcade experience.

Don't misunderstand me...I collect and enjoy many, many 2600 games (on my 7800 unit). Many of these games are great fun (be sure to try paddle games like Kaboom and Astroblast), but most involve compromises when converting arcade games to run on the more primitive hardware of the Atari 2600.

Of course, I suggest you dedicate all of your money and time for the rest of your life to filling your house with old, obsolete, discarded video games and systems and playing around with every combination possible until you just can't stand it, but that's just me (well, maybe a few other people would agree).

• Like 3

Hi everyone. This may be my first post here, I am not sure, but I've been lurking for a bit.

About two months ago I purchased an Atari Light-Sixer for $30 with box, controllers and a few games. I've since expanded my collection from 5 games to around 30. Some of them are fun, and some of them haven't held up so well. I grew up in a post-Atari world, with the N64 and GBC being my introduction to video games.

Having said that, I am able to appreciate the 2600 for what it did well, and I acknowledge what it didn't do well. As far as good ports from the Arcade to the Atari, Frogger, Space Invaders, Dig Dug, Ms. Pac-Man, and even Mario Bros all come to mind. There are also a bunch of fantastic games like Demon Attack, Keystone Kapers, Atlantis, Enduro, Boxing, River Raid, Pitfall/II, and many others that are good originals.

Owning a 2600 is owning a small piece of history. Even though the graphics are very outdated, the controls are simple, and the games aren't very long, it all adds to their charm. If you are truly a fan of gaming in general, it would behoove you to appreciate games from all eras, including the earliest ones. Many "gamers" are concerned only with the latest and greatest titles, but true gamers appreciate and enjoy games from many different platforms, not limiting themselves to just modern games.

While I have a clear bias toward Nintendo, and own every major Nintendo Console(except Virtual Boy and Wii U), I also have and enjoy the Genesis & Dreamcast, PS1-PS4, and now I'm getting into Atari.

I think the point I am making is that you should try everything.

EDIT: Also, I have to recommend Best Electronics. When I got the console, my two joysticks were very stiff and finicky. I ordered their Gold Joystick PCB and the plastic stick upgrades, and it made a world of a difference to the atari joysticks. They are much more responsive and still have a very short throw. I know a lot of people prefer alternatives to the standard Atari pad, but after the upgrade I've experienced no problems.

Edited by Grimakis
  • Like 1

Einhander, are you in Europe or in th US? In Europe, 7800 can get rather pricy, while you find a 2600 Jr console with all jazz for 10 Euro plus shipping if you're a little patient.

The 2600 really shines when it comes to the Paddle controllers and the games for them. Warlords, Super Breakout, Circus Atari, Kaboom, Demons to Diamonds, Cobra Strike, just to name a few.

If it's backwards compatible, why do people say 2600 is the best?

Because it's the one everyone remembers. Even non-gamers have heard of it. When people (in the general sense) talk about "the Atari" they mean the 2600.

All else being equal, the 2600 is one of *THE* definitive game systems. I'd say the 2600 and the NES are pretty much Classic Gaming 101. As a game console, it's got a lot of great late '70s/early '80s, arcade-style games. Paddle games are something of a lost art today (there's really no modern equivalent, analog sticks, mice, and touchscreens notwithstanding), and the 2600 has some of the best.

It's a relatively cheap system (not as cheap as it was 10-15 years ago, but still), and most of the best games are as common as dirt. But the sheer volume of weird games and accessories and controllers that came out for it make it an excellent system to collect for, as well.

I think it's fair to say (others have even said as much) that much of the affinity for the 2600 is rooted in nostalgia, but I want to say that you don't need to have grown up with it to enjoy it. I came up during The Bit Wars myself, but was always fascinated by games and systems of the past. I didn't get a 2600 until 1999. I think as long as you approach it with an open mind and the understanding that its games are very different (in many ways) from what you may familiar with. (FWIW many of my favorite consoles came and went before I was even born.)

From a practicality standpoint, it does make more sense to get an Atari 7800 if for some reason you can only have one console, since, as mentioned, it's backwards compatible with the 2600. And the 7800 has some very good games of its own (just don't expect them to be as polished as NES games, though a few are arguably better).

If you are truly a fan of gaming in general, it would behoove you to appreciate games from all eras, including the earliest ones. Many "gamers" are concerned only with the latest and greatest titles, but true gamers appreciate and enjoy games from many different platforms, not limiting themselves to just modern games.

I think the point I am making is that you should try everything.

This. It never ceases to amaze me how many people call themselves "gamers" and completely miss the bigger picture. It's like calling yourself a football fan and not knowing who Johnny Unitas or Walter Payton were, or saying they couldn't play in today's game.

Or worse, the people who call themselves "classic gamers" but dismiss everything before 1985 as a series of necessary mistakes leading up to the NES.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Like 1

I'd recommend starting with emulation (either with Stella or with the Activision Anthology on PC, which - contrary to the console and Mac versions - contains many great 2600 games not only by Activision, but also from Imagic, Absolute Entertainment and even including some homebrews from this site, e.g. Oystron). That seems to be the easiest way to find out whether the 2600 really is one's cup of tea.

• Like 1

Hello, new here. I began video game collecting a year ago. I also have a PS4. I have all playstations and most nintendos. Now I never once thought I'd be interested in Atari. I didn't grow up with it. But I went to a retro arcade and had a blast playing these old school games. There's something really cool about these games. I liked Robotron, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, etc

However, I have played an Atari collection on PS2 and I hated it. I played an Atari baseball game and it was really weird. My friend also played the PS2 atari collection and had no idea how to play these games, it seemed like there was glitches.

On ebay it seems like the cost of the console is rather pricey. Now here is my question. Would you say most of these games are available on playstation collections and/or phones?

I'm very intrigued adding all these old school games to my collection, but the last thing I want to do is add stuff I don't like. I don't know the Atari very well. So I'm a little confused if it's worth it. People who grew up with it seem to LOVE it. Is it just nostalgia or is there another reason?

Lastly, if Robotron is the game I love, is it not on the 2600? I read 2600 was the better Atari.

First you gotta learn how to play (use) a real JOYSTICK, not those shite Nintendo (PS) -type controllers (you can't control a decent game with those), and yes, playing on real hardware is always the best. Forget the 7800, not many good games, get a cheap JR and oodles of carts from ebay. Plenty of excellent games on VCS, but you gotta be a good video gamer, many of these games really test your skills.

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

I'd echo the advice to try out the different systems in emulation first. Keep in mind that the 7800 only has the audio capabilities of the 2600.

Take a look at the Colecovision too. I think it does a solid job of handling the 80s arcade games. My first system was a 2600, followed by a Commodore 128 (which primarily was used to play C64 games). I never had a Colecovision before, but bought one about a year ago, had it modified by Yurkie (from this site), got a Atarimax SD Cartridge, and it now takes care of all my pre Sega Genesis gaming.

I'd echo the advice to try out the different systems in emulation first. Keep in mind that the 7800 only has the audio capabilities of the 2600.

Take a look at the Colecovision too. I think it does a solid job of handling the 80s arcade games. My first system was a 2600, followed by a Commodore 128 (which primarily was used to play C64 games). I never had a Colecovision before, but bought one about a year ago, had it modified by Yurkie (from this site), got a Atarimax SD Cartridge, and it now takes care of all my pre Sega Genesis gaming.

For 8 bit needs (excluding handhelds), the 7800, ColecoVision, NES, and Commodore 64 are about all you really need, imo (assuming the TG-16 is classified as a 16 bit system).