IGNORED

Nano-PEB's & Communications Programs -- (Incompatibility)

Omega-TI

I've been working on a document so newbies can get their TI's on the Internet. As of now, I know of no Telcom program that will work with any version of the Nano-PEB. However, just to be on the safe side, I'd like to inquire if any Nano-PEB user out there has managed to get any program to work with one.

If I don't hear of anything from anyone in the next week or so, I'll continue to go on the assumption that none do, and finalize that section of the document.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Good job. Going to the Web with the 99 4a is definately an aim and opens many new possibilities.

Count me interested in the RS232 and Internet topic.

I have just ordered this cable to improve my possibilties when connecting the TI with the other world:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00425S1H8/ref=s9_simh_se_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=search-desktop-advertising-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=06QQ6G1H6MAQ693H7EKH&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=535022947&pf_rd_i=profilic%20serial%20cable

Regarding your documentation:

There are two different versions of the NanoPeb (v1, v2). The Com Port is a main difference between them. So the document should distinguish between those two.

Fred Kaal has built a Hdx version that works with the serial Port of the NanoPEB v1, so it should be possible to adapt other communication programs as well.

Good job. Going to the Web with the 99 4a is definately an aim and opens many new possibilities.

Count me interested in the RS232 and Internet topic.

I have just ordered this cable to improve my possibilties when connecting the TI with the other world:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00425S1H8/ref=s9_simh_se_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=search-desktop-advertising-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=06QQ6G1H6MAQ693H7EKH&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=535022947&pf_rd_i=profilic%20serial%20cable

Regarding your documentation:

There are two different versions of the NanoPeb (v1, v2). The Com Port is a main difference between them. So the document should distinguish between those two.

Fred Kaal has built a Hdx version that works with the serial Port of the NanoPEB v1, so it should be possible to adapt other communication programs as well.

Thanks, that's the aim. I stumbled around when I originally tried to get up and running. I'd like to save those interested some time and trouble, not to mention money. It sucks buying something only to find out it will not work with your configuration.

I had two separate versions of the Nano in the past and was unable to get Telco to run on either of them. Now there are other programs out there, but while I was using a Nano I was unable to obtain or locate any other WORKING programs to test. That will STILL probably be a challenge. I'd like to add a couple of links to some software as well, but we'll see what develops in the next couple of weeks.

Heck, when I started out I didn't know that the HDX mod on a the standard TI's RS-232 card PREVENTED normal operation of telco programs. It was only later that I learned of the severed interrupt. I think it would be nice if people knew what to expect ahead of time.

BTW, were you referring to using CFHXDS1 with that cable? Or did you have other intentions?

I also bought a USB to Serial cable based on the same chipset. I also have a null modem.

I don't know what I am going to do with mine yet.

I guess I am the 99er withou a plan.

One thing I was able to do with a USB to Serial adapter on the Nano was PRINT to the PC with PuTTY on the other end. It's not much, but it's a start.

So instead of having PRINT go to video, you redirected it to the serial port?

If I remember right, I was using the TYPE or PRINT command in 4A/DOS. Just use the SETPRINT command to reflect what is needed by your version of Nano-PEB. Then when you want to print out a DV/80 file it can be directed to the RS-232 port. Putty will take it and display it. I suppose you can then use your mouse to right click and copy it all for saving or pasting into another document. Again, better than nothing.

** EDIT **

Oh yeah, and yes, you can also print a program listing from BASIC with no problems. I did that a time or two when I wanted a printout of a program I was working on.

Edited by --- Ω ---

Well I pugged in my nanoPEB, I get the new spash screen when I turn on the TI.

The MOUNT command is present and blinks the LED, so I know that is at least communicating with the CF card..

Well, I tried:

LIST "SIO"

I get in return:

* I/O ERROR 00

Basic must not be seeing the DSR, hey?

Edited by slinkeey

Thanks.. That was able to get me farther.. It communicated :P

Screenshot_from_2014_10_18_14_24_31.png

Interesting the SIO doesn't work, considering the manual says to use LIST "SIO"

LIST "RS232" alone actually got me farther...

Allright! You're good to go now!

BTW - If you click PuTTY over to TELNET and type in heatwavebbs.com in the 'hostname' field and the number 23 in the port box, then click on the 'open' button, you'll be able to log into the on;y TI-99/4A & Geneve 9640 BBS on the planet.

Yeah, I have been on that BBS before.. I used a different terminal program though...

Also I need to figure out what is flaky. I wonder if the PL2303 chipset is goofy.

I just turned everything off, then back on.. Made a new fake program to list. This time it did the line feeds correctly. the last image had the first character of the line on the right side of the terminal window.

Screenshot_from_2014_10_18_14_46_16.png

I also get the same results with the command called screen in *unix.

Edited by slinkeey
  • Like 1

So I found out something interesting.

This works beautifully:

10 OPEN #1:"RS232.BA=9600.DA=8.PA=N''
20 PRINT #1:"SLINKEEY TEST"
30 PRINT #1:"12345"

Shows up perfect on my Linux console.

SLINKEEY TEST

The follow line does some interesting stuff:

LIST "RS232.BA=9600.DA=8.PA=N"

Usually puts in line feeds or odd characters, like pictured in a previous posting.

Has anyone seen this?

Could the USB to serial device being doing some odd stuff?

Edited by slinkeey

Yeah, I have been on that BBS before.. I used a different terminal program though...

Also I need to figure out what is flaky. I wonder if the PL2303 chipset is goofy.

I just turned everything off, then back on.. Made a new fake program to list. This time it did the line feeds correctly. the last image had the first character of the line on the right side of the terminal window.

Screenshot_from_2014_10_18_14_46_16.png

I also get the same results with the command called screen in *unix.

It was just luck that this pattern showed up correct with list.. This pattern always does.. If I make line 10 = like [10 REM], the list screws up... It is so odd.

Having PRINT redirected to the serial port works great every time.. I even made a GOTO loop, in order to see if it ever messes up...

This works beautifully:

SLINKEEY TEST

Usually puts in line feeds or odd characters, like pictured in a previous posting.

Has anyone seen this?

You could experiment with" LIST "DSK1.PROGNAME"

Then print the file out with TI-Writers's Text Formatter using the .CR or .LF commands. It could be that the program on the PC side is adding some stuff.

It was just luck that this pattern showed up correct with list.. This pattern always does.. If I make line 10 = like [10 REM], the list screws up... It is so odd.

Having PRINT redirected to the serial port works great every time.. I even made a GOTO loop, in order to see if it ever messes up...

Could it be that you are using a TruType font and not a FIXED sized one? That might throw off your formatting.

This works beautifully:

SLINKEEY TEST

Has anyone seen this?

It's called "no flow control" your are overrunning the serial port's capability of buffering at that speed.. Probably the best you'll get with the DSR is 1200 baud.. You will also need to make sure the cts/rts are lined up correctly. HDX works around this with software doing buffering so it can go faster..

Greg

Well, This even happens at 300 BAUD.

Why doesn't my basic program in a loop overrun the serial port? Is it the basic program being run much slower than the LIST command?

I bought a null modem. I'm not sure if cts and rts are crossed.. I could put an ohm meter on the pins to make sure..

Edited by slinkeey

You could experiment with" LIST "DSK1.PROGNAME"

Then print the file out with TI-Writers's Text Formatter using the .CR or .LF commands. It could be that the program on the PC side is adding some stuff.

I thought maybe PUTTY was acting up, but then I used the screen command. That just pipes the port to the console.

BTW, were you referring to using CFHXDS1 with that cable? Or did you have other intentions?

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to.

Btw - I have started some first programming lines for my own project which goes in the direction connecting TI and the world together.

It's a Microsoft .net based program I started to wrote yesterday. For now you can configure the serial port and send Text over to the TI with success. In the next days I want it to extend it with file transfer. Project name is still undecided that's why I have hidden the current codename. :)

post-27826-0-16337600-1413710023_thumb.jpg