IGNORED

Classic Computer ONLY Day -- (Can you do it?)

Omega-TI

Actually, I planned to do quite a bit of Telnet BBSing after work that day. From the old photo below you can see that I did use a "Practical Peripherals PM2400SA", so I've got my Lantronix UDS-10 set to 2400 baud.

gallery_35324_1001_419308.jpg

I had that same desk when I was young.

Edit: I only had the desk part, not the wrap around part to the right

Edited by Official Ninja

--- Ω --- wasn't the only one thinking about this topic....

Computer Magazine and Book publisher, IDG was thinking of it too...

Living With 1990 Tech for a Day – Part 1

Living With 1990 Tech For A Day – Part 2

I loved that post! You know, I don't think it's cheating if download and print up a couple of old user group newsletters.. I still have 7 & 1/2 hours before this starts.

• Like 1

That was an old DOS command if I remember right (it's been so long ago). I do remember using it after the DIR command. Didn't it have something to do with displaying systems files or sub directories? I think that was even a valid command in TRSDOS on the old TRS-80 Model I & III as well. I'll be using a 33 year old TI-99/4A for the festivities tomorrow, so no /S commands for me.

That is a little overwhelming.. Maybe 'dir /s | more', instead??? or 'dir /ad | more'??

Hehe... no, not DOS. That's how you would end a message on most BBS systems. The "/s" would immediately signify that on #10,#13 (enter and carriage return) that you would save and close the message board message. This worked on WWIV, Renegade, Telegard, and one other BBS system (I forget).

• Like 1

I loved that post! You know, I don't think it's cheating if download and print up a couple of old user group newsletters.. I still have 7 & 1/2 hours before this starts.

And, another IDG Post, directly relating to Modern Operating Systems, Friday Rant: We Don’t Need Any More ‘Upgrades’.

( It was one of the other stories in the Margins of the page.. )

MarkO

Hehe... no, not DOS. That's how you would end a message on most BBS systems. The "/s" would immediately signify that on #10,#13 (enter and carriage return) that you would save and close the message board message. This worked on WWIV, Renegade, Telegard, and one other BBS system (I forget).

Hmm, I seem to remember /Q, but that might to Quit the Message and Not Save it...

One BBS I called back in the late 1980's was run by the Public Library... They had One Phone line, the a Second, and then through a Generous Donation, that I was part of, got Two 2400bps Modems donated, so they added Two More Phone Lines. This was a TBBS, ( The Bulletin Board System ), running on MS-DOS.. We would get Two, Three, or some times Four people on at once, and be leaving Messages so fast, it was almost like Chatting...

MarkO

We would get Two, Three, or some times Four people on at once, and be leaving Messages so fast, it was almost like Chatting...

I remember messages taking a couple of days on Fido Net. I used to run a point system and every night my PC would call the local BBS incessantly until it got on. It would then 'automagically' download, unpack and 'toss' my mail into the appropriate 'echo'. Some of the 'echo's' had 5-15 messages a day like the TI-99/4A group, others, like the ST:TNG group could easily have 200-400 new messages a day! Of course this was all before the Internet came along and changed everything.

Some of you might find this interesting.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlXNXdf6Xh0

Does the iMac 1st gen, 1998 count?

Well, was kinda thinking PRE-PC, but what the hell, depending on a persons age, 'classic' can mean a lot of things! :)

This is all for for fun, so I don't see the point in getting too uptight about rules. Just use your best judgement, and above all, have fun.

Heck, if you can, take a photo of the 'Classic Beast' you are using, feel free to share that too, if you like.

Well, I'm just checking in for the first time. Pretty easy so far (harder to stay awake to me) for most stuff. One convienence I do miss is being able to use a search engine and find stuff - I have to finish a paper for school and it's easier to search what I need rather than than go through textbooks. Other than that, not much. Beat The Wizard and the Princess and Zork, typed in a few codes from a Nibble magazine and worked on school stuff.

• Like 1

That is an AWESOME Ti-99/4a set-up! That is totally awesome!

Oh, and I also realized I totally screwed up. Man... I forgot... :(

Thanks! I can't wait to get my next three items for it.

What did you forget? It's not too late to start! It's still early! And you ARE allowed to come to Atari Age and check in, in fact it's encouraged!

Check-in #1: Well so far my coffee intake has doubled with all the waiting... format floppy, wait and drink

some coffee, verify format, wait and drink some coffee, transfer stuff to disk.... WAIT, drink

more coffee! :-o REPEAT!!

**EDIT**

Check-in#2: Found out the battery in my Super Cart has died. :(

I'll have to remember to pick up a new CR-2032 after work and solder it in tonight.

check in #2 I never started up my retro computer, instead I tore it apart and made a list of all the caps in it so I can replace them, lol it has a wobbly screen, though I have stayed off the modern machines all day aside from 2 check in's and making a phone call :)

Well, what I got out of yesterday was, some old pre-PC programs can effectively do the same job as a modern PC, but not as fast or as with as much 'flash'. I've come to rely on multi-tasking, and the old Classic Computer just is not up to that task.

What I would like to see on my Classic PC.

1) An Internet Browser, sure, it would only be a text based browser, but it would be fun to use.

2) A GUI Even if it was only two colors and limited, it would be a drastic improvement. Having the whole

thing (all it's modules) on a mega-cart would work I think.

3) The keyboard SUCKS to use all day. I'm glad a PS/2 interface is in the works for my Classic Computer.

I just wish I had more time yesterday to play on in. Today is going to be a another day pretty much AFK.

That's all....