IGNORED

Classic Computer ONLY Day -- (Can you do it?)

Omega-TI

Too bad we couldn't-a somehow magically gotten the late Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick to participate here. They'd show us all up to be sure. They used modems and word processors on the first KayPro PC compatibles to transfer ideas and manuscripts back and forth, across the globe, while writing 2010.

• Like 1

I failed completely! :(

I was too lazy to lug the boat anchor up 4 flights of stairs and to go up to the loft every time I wanted to post or check the forums. So I ipadded it all day.

Yes. I am weak.

No need to lug it up the stairs! Just get a LANTRONIX UDS-10 for your Classic Computer

and then plug it into a WiFi Bridge. You'll have it made!

Shouldn't all Classic Computer's be WiFi capable? ;)

No need to lug it up the stairs! Just get a LANTRONIX UDS-10 for your Classic Computer

and then plug it into a WiFi Bridge. You'll have it made!

Shouldn't all Classic Computer's be WiFi capable? ;)

Woah, discovering the existence of stuff like this is exactly why I love AtariAge!

Thanks for sharing. Their mention of using it to BBS is a blast from the past. I figured all bbs's were shut down by now. I haven't done the bbs thing in over 20 years.

Edited by dashv

So, I tried... I think I did pretty good. I have two nice game systems set-up. A real slim-line Dell 386, and a Pentium II that's running 98 SE for all the other 90s and 2000s stuff. I went into a bunch of games and played them, but got bored real quick. Mostly because a lot of those games I beat, and I saw myself sitting there for 8-9 hours doing nothing but playing them, so I quickly shut them off. I did play the AD&D Secret of the Silver Blades gold box series game on the 386 for about 20 minutes, and then I went outside and pressure-washed the house (you have to pressure wash pretty much everything once per year in South Florida). The pressure washer is a 4-cycle engine with a carburetor, so that's kind of retro...

I also unpacked my 1969 Oldsmobile 455 big block engine that I had crated and stuffed in the corner while I was renting the house out (they thought the box was part of the HVAC system, hah).

• Like 1

Well, I don't do things by half-I could not manage it last week so I am currently sitting with a Dragon 32, Sinclair Spectrum and a CBM 4 set up and ready to go, no good lady and kids for 3 days = retro fun time!!!!

P.S-My Scottish Genes are kicking in, I have had 10 pints of beer and can still type reasonably well :-D

• Like 1

Too soon. Was tied up with Extra Life and didn't see. Bah! Maybe a preset day every month?

Yeah, you're probably right it was too soon after the announcement. How about the second Sunday of every month? I'll add it to the Atari Age calendar. Over time I bet we'll get dozens of people to participating.

• Like 1

Yeah, you're probably right it was too soon after the announcement. How about the second Sunday of every month? I'll add it to the Atari Age calendar. Over time I bet we'll get dozens of people to participating.

Thus is created the, Back to Classics, Sunday..

MarkO

• Like 1

I do this on a regular basis just because. I use my cell to read Facebook and Twitter (mostly for keeping up with the family).

I run an Amiga and a C= 128D, both have software I can use to write notes, or papers if needed and spend the day chatting on IRC or a BBS.

For me it's a fun thing, I love the old computers.

• Like 1

Too bad we couldn't-a somehow magically gotten the late Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick to participate here. They'd show us all up to be sure. They used modems and word processors on the first KayPro PC compatibles to transfer ideas and manuscripts back and forth, across the globe, while writing 2010.

That was actually Arthur C. Clarke and Peter Hyams, the director of "2010". In one of his last video messages, Clarke at 90 named the growth of global communication technologies as one of the most revolutionary developments of his lifetime, and he was certainly a very early user. I believe that the long-distance, computer-facilitated collaboration between Clarke and Hyams was the first of its kind.

A record of their correspondence was printed in a book, The Odyssey File, which was probably published mainly to help pay their phone bills. Still, it makes fascinating reading today, especially for those of us who like the movie. Their communication is often described as "early e-mail", but it was more primitive than the POP3/IMAP e-mail we know today: they were passing messages by dialing directly into each others' computers and editing text files on floppy disks, manually numbering them to keep them in sequence. If one of them forgot to turn the computer on, or if they left the disk out of the drive or let it get full, the other couldn't leave a message.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had seen this before... I was totally in! I'm in every weekend!

I stare at modern Macs and PC's at work all day, M-F, so those are the last things I want to see at home (I don't have a modern PC or Mac at home).

I do have a C=64C, a VIC-20, a TI-99/4a, some 800XL's and this cute little 600XL with a few mods waiting for me every day when I get home... ;)

That being said, I'm in every weekend from now until further notice! :-D

• Like 2