IGNORED

Team Pixelboy News Bulletin - October 16th 2014

Pixelboy

and if you are lucky like me i can play thexder and rollerball on it but no sound since no ay chip

I'm still trying to figure this one out as I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be any difference in the Thexder and Rollerball carts that you own compared to mine and others. So there is something different in your ADAM that allows the test code for the SGM to come back as being attached when it really isn't. I remember you posted videos of the games playing on your ADAM without the SGM, but I don't recall seeing any other hardware devices hooked up to the Expansion Interface that could possibly trick Opcode's SGM test code into thinking an SGM is connected. Do you have any ADAM hardware (ie: Eve SP-1, SP-1P, SS-CC, 80 Column Unit, etc.) attached to the Expansion Interface? If not, then there is something different internally in your ADAM,

BTW, do you know what revision your ADAM is? Mote than likely it is an R80, which is the latest and greatest. You can find out once you turn on the system by pressing "CONTROL" + "R" at the same time before doing anything else and a new SmartKEY will be displayed with the info.

Edited by NIAD

Princess Quest is available?

Was available in limited quantities after they found some remaining boxes, it was announced via I think the September Bulletin and the few copies quickly were snapped up. I played a bit on the weekend on the Flashback, looking forward to trying it on real hardware.

Was available in limited quantities after they found some remaining boxes, it was announced via I think the September Bulletin and the few copies quickly were snapped up. I played a bit on the weekend on the Flashback, looking forward to trying it on real hardware.

Yeah, I'm out of Princess Quest boxes, so the game is now officially sold out.

• Like 1

I am going to look as well because my test ADAM can't play goonies either while my main ADAM can.

Are we perhaps seeing some differences in the original Coleco ADAM boards?? Things that the original programmers and board developers never imagined would or could be done with their product. I for one, think it is AWESOME the more things we find that the CV and ADAM can do that never crossed the mind in the early 1980's.

• Like 1

Seems to be that way ADAMcon and I think for the most part that we are talking about differences in strictly R80 systems that no one ever knew existed. From all my experiences opening up systems that were R80s, I do recall seeing a "cleaning up" of the ADAM Logic Board to remove the need for a one wire "patch" modification, a cosmetic change in the PCB color to a lighter green and then of course the reduction in SmartWRITER chips from 3 down to 2 chips... which freed up a socket that Syd Carter later used for his Clock Chip that was also available built into his Dynomite Sound Digitizer. Since I'm not a hardware guru, maybe someone like Rich Drushel could shed some further light on the matter one day.

Seems to be that way ADAMcon and I think for the most part that we are talking about differences in strictly R80 systems that no one ever knew existed. From all my experiences opening up systems that were R80s, I do recall seeing a "cleaning up" of the ADAM Logic Board to remove the need for a one wire "patch" modification, a cosmetic change in the PCB color to a lighter green and then of course the reduction in SmartWRITER chips from 3 down to 2 chips... which freed up a socket that Syd Carter later used for his Clock Chip that was also available built into his Dynomite Sound Digitizer. Since I'm not a hardware guru, maybe someone like Rich Drushel could shed some further light on the matter one day.

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing the one wire patch (jumper) for whatever reason. Never paid much thought to the SmartWriter chip set other than noticing that some had 2 instead of 3; although I believe there are 4 sockets right there together. What was # 4 for.........................hmmmmm

The fourth socket is for the EOS chip. So those four sockets either contain:

- 3 SmartWriter chips and 1 EOS chip

- 2 SmartWriter chips, 1 EOS chip and 1 open socket

The Clock Chip that Syd Carter used in this open socket was a generic chip that could be used on any computer system IIRC, he just had to write the software to access it in EOS and CP/M.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update: Yesterday evening, I contacted everyone on my waiting list to let them know that their games are now ready to ship. Unfortunately, I had some unexpected errands to run this morning, and I'm not quite done yet with that. I will respond to everyone who replied to the e-mail I sent them last night later this after-noon, or tonight if I can't do it any sooner.

Thank you for your patience. :)

• Like 1

Take your time my friend.

I know a few people who would say the opposite. Some actually get nervous if I don't reply within an "acceptable" time frame, and they send me extra e-mails just to make sure I receive their messages. :)

But anyhow, I have replied to everyone so far, and my backlog of unanswered e-mails is currently empty.

Perfect time to go to bed! ;)