IGNORED

guy selling Galaxian arcade in my area

toptenmaterial

A guy on local CL is selling a Galaxian machine for $340. Galaxian isn't my favorite (that would be Galaga) and I really don't have the cash, but still, it is intriguing. Here are the specifics from the ad. Just to clarify, this is NOT MY ITEM:

"Full size Galaxian arcade machine. Working condition. Fair-good condition overall.

- sound and monitor work

- front coin door is missing the key

- back panel is there and comes off for access

- includes original diagrams of the machine

- plastic piece which goes under the glass but on top of monitor needs to be reglued or just take it out if you want like I do.

- Bottom of cabinet has some wood peeling but not to bad overall"

Is it worth it, or no?

Hey Topten,

The problems he described are luckily easy fixes, and if you end up buying it and do not know how to fix the above problems P.M. and I can help you out. $340 for a fully working Galaxian is a VERY good deal as far as I am concerned and if that deal ever came up here in the northwest I would snatch it up in a heart beat (even though my game room is getting pretty full). So, yes, BUY IT!!!!

I have seen dedicated Galaxian machines as low as $200 in my area (with cosmetic issues only), but those kinds of deals are few and far between.

I looked up the listing and here is what I noticed off the bat:

-There is some moderate screen burn on the monitor, and the screen has that "orange-ish" tint to it…likely needs to be re-capped.

-The wood at the bottom of the cabinet is broken in sections and the plywood has de-laminated - check for water damage/mold

-The side art and front art is heavily worn/scratched/faded off/initials carved in

-The control panel overlay seems to have stains on it…looks like cigarette burns. Also has some peeled away spots.

-The control panel metal bezel needs new paint

Be sure to really check the sound…make sure the speakers are all working properly.

Does the marquee light operate properly? If not, is it a bad bulb or starter? If not, you might need to replace the fixture.

Does the joystick/buttons all function properly?

Does the coin mech work?

Check all of these things and more. Do your homework. $340 is not a bad deal by any means (even including all the cosmetic issues listed above), but it certainly could end up being a bad deal if you need to put another $340 into it to restore it properly. Weigh it all out and see if the seller might budge on the price…it seems like it was listed at $400 just a week ago, so maybe they are looking to move this right away and would be a bit more negotiable on the price. Best of luck!

• Like 1

Galaxian isn't my favorite (that would be Galaga) and I really don't have the cash

In that case, I'd let it go.

I may be in a good location, but I've only paid more than $300 for a handful of my machines, and aside from some minor cosmetic stuff, they've all been fully working. (Well, I'm still wrestling with Gorf's opto board, but still...) Especially if you don't have the mad money in the fun fund at the moment, I'd sit this one out and wait for a Galaga.

I picked up a Galaxian about a week ago for $220. Monitor doesn't work and has extreme (pac-man) screen burn. I bought it for a solid plywood cabinet. It is going to be fixed up in the spring with full Galaxian side art, new inner black paint and brand new green T-molding.... jamma harness with adapters, perfect G07 monitor with no burn, new power supply and Mike's Arcade 2 in 1 Jamma switcher which will allow me to play both Galaxian and Galaga original board sets in one cabinet.

I picked up a Galaxian about a week ago for $220. Monitor doesn't work and has extreme (pac-man) screen burn. I bought it for a solid plywood cabinet. It is going to be fixed up in the spring with full Galaxian side art, new inner black paint and brand new green T-molding.... jamma harness with adapters, perfect G07 monitor with no burn, new power supply and Mike's Arcade 2 in 1 Jamma switcher which will allow me to play both Galaxian and Galaga original board sets in one cabinet.

That sounds very, very cool. As far as arcade games go, Galaga is the only one that I can come remotely close to kicking ass in. Please post pics when you are done! :D

As an update, my roommates aren't really keen on throwing down on that machine with me, so I'm going to let it go.

It boggles my mind how cheap these full sized arcade cabs. are selling for CHEAP everywhere, but here in Oregon. No chance what so ever to pick up a decent 1980's cab for much under $500. Good example: I was jonesing for a Karate Champ, and after 6 months of searching I finally got one from a KLOV member for $750. Plus I had to drive all the way to near the Canadian border to pick up the machine. Almost unbelievable that anyone in the N.W. could possibly get a decent machine for under $500.

It boggles my mind how cheap these full sized arcade cabs. are selling for CHEAP everywhere, but here in Oregon. No chance what so ever to pick up a decent 1980's cab for much under $500. Good example: I was jonesing for a Karate Champ, and after 6 months of searching I finally got one from a KLOV member for $750. Plus I had to drive all the way to near the Canadian border to pick up the machine. Almost unbelievable that anyone in the N.W. could possibly get a decent machine for under $500.

Dang, that sucks. The most I've ever spent on a machine was $650 for my Tron, and all it really needed was new t-molding.

DSC_6331.jpg

[edit] It really is all about location. Here was a midwest posting...

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=289142&highlight=karate+champ

Edited by racerx