IGNORED

Problem with tape drive?

eebuckeye

I am trying to load a couple tapes (one was brand new). The first tape was not completely rewound (is that a word?) so when I put it in the Adam and turned it on it moved all the tape over to the right spool (I was expecting the left side). I then opened a new tape (Buck Rogers) which started with all the tape on the left side. The drive moved all the tape to the right spool. Is that normal?

After all the tape was on the right spool I just kept hearing the drive click. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

The good news is the Data Drive controller circuit/chips built onto the ADAM Logic Board in the Memory Console are working. The bad news is that the Data Drive is the culprit here and you should read through this thread as well as threads linked in it for some tips.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/230361-questions-about-adam-tape-drive-repair/

Thank you very much for the info! My drive does not exhibit the problems I have read in the other thread though so I'm not sure if I have the same issue. It seems to move everything to the right and then the drive just continues to click. Wouldn't the Adam controller tell it to rewind? I read others that said the Adam keeps moving the tape non-stop from reel to reel but mine does not do that.

Ugh..

Thanks!

How many data packs do you have? Sometimes this issue you are experiencing is due to bad data packs and the drive will either spin the ddp back and forth endlessly or like in your case, spin the tape from one spoil to the other and then endlessly keep trying to proceed in the same direction... the knocking you described.

BTW... don't turn off the ADAM when this happens, just press the CARTRIDGE RESET and wait a few seconds.

If all your data packs do the same thing, then the controller board inside the Data Drive is the culprit and there is no easy fix.

Follow the HOW TO in post #2 and watch the video in post #7....

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/182910-adam-maintenence-01/?hl=%2Bdata+%2Bdrive+%2Brepair

You can also send a PM to ADAMCON to see if he still has available the rubber timing wheel replacements instead of tracking down a Hot Wheel car to commandier the tire from... don't recall off the top of my head the size you need.

I bought a hot wheel car today for the tire and put it on the encoder wheel after cleaning and it freakin works!?! I'm blown away... It clicked like old at first for both tapes but I got it to rewind and they loaded. I tried Buck Rogers twice with no problem and basic once (so far).

Very happy at least for now!! Thanks!

• Like 2

I bought a hot wheel car today for the tire and put it on the encoder wheel after cleaning and it freakin works!?! I'm blown away... It clicked like old at first for both tapes but I got it to rewind and they loaded. I tried Buck Rogers twice with no problem and basic once (so far).

Very happy at least for now!! Thanks!

You and I spoke via ebay the last few days. Glad you got your drive working my friend :)

Rey