IGNORED

Is this a valuable/rare cartridge?

mmeh

In the early 80's I purchased a new Pitfall cartridge for my Atari 2600. When I got home and attempted to play the game, was surprised (and initially saddened) that River Raid loaded! Fortunately River Raid was a great game and a few months later (for Christmas) my parents bought me another Pitfall game.

I've kept my Atari and cartridges over the years and now, almost 30 years later, am curious how this may have happened.

Is it common or a known issue with early carts to be mislabeled like this? I've always wondered how rare this is and if there is any value in the cart to a collector.

I've seen a few other posts that this has happened to their games. A couple people said this happened to Activision -- they seem to have had some flaws in their factory process. And then Flak, who runs a popular podcast called You Don't Know Flak, has reported that on the day that Space Invaders came out they bought the game, got it home, and it turned out to be another game (I think it was Bowling). So while uncommon, this did happen now and then. (And it continued into the CD era also, I've heard.)