IGNORED

radio shack archer 270-1701

metzger130

I got a pair of these when I purchased a couple Atari 2600's and some games off of someone on craigslist. I see they have 2 buttons on them and was wondering if they can be used on the 7800 as a 2 button controller?

It looks like the exact same controller as the pistol grip sticks made by Spectra Video. I have one of the latter stored away somewhere. As I recall, both buttons were wired as a single fire used by 2600/VCS. Both are pictured here:

post-15209-0-55960000-1413866387_thumb.jpg

post-15209-0-45426000-1413866402_thumb.jpg

Yep, they're both wired to the same pin. Not meant for two button 7800 games.

And the buttons are junk. I went through two or three new ones back in the early 90's in what seemed like just three or four months of use with each. The buttons just stopped working (At least they have two, which doubled their lifespans...).

Never had a CX-40 button go bad. I assume the earlier (And well liked) Spectra Video versions had higher quality buttons.

Edited by Atariboy

they are nice to control. but yeah the buttons are crap as went thru 5 or so back in the day. The directionals quit after awhile too. I think it was the quickshot 3 I liked more with the trigger button and the auto fire switch to prevent wrecking the delicate buttons. It also screwed up firing randomly when changing directions. opps there goes my fuel supply on river raid...