IGNORED

The reason to hate certain ebay resellers

Atari_Bill

Didn't want to put this into the 'Interesting auctions' thread so I'll throw out a new one. Seen this seller do it a million times and it annoys more and more each time. When she / he got the empty box I knew this was going to happen.

Purchase from the recent empty box grouping of auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-VCS-GUARDIAN-Box-Only-In-Storage-for-30-years-/271623689849?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3f3e089679&nma=true&si=Ud%252BNA8mT%252F2Od1dA2yXVgUAf3hz0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Newly posted auction with a low low starting bid of $500:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Guardian-CIB-Game-manual-and-box-NTSC-RARE-/151450464323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234326b043

Gee, does something look familiar? Not going to use the word I'd like to to describe this re-seller. :mad:

It's those kind that constantly outbid your bid, pulling out all their dirty little tricks, until they win the auction. Then they list it themselves a few weeks later for an outrageous price. It happened to me once when I wanted to get an Arcadia 2001 with games.

How is spending more money than you were willing to spend, "dirty little tricks"? Because that is how you win an auction. :?

• Like 11

How is spending more money than you were willing to spend, "dirty little tricks"? Because that is how you win an auction. :?

Exactly. All I see is crying about not winning auctions and then complaining about prices of items that someone else is selling. So much hate for capitalism, I just don't get it.

• Like 6

$162 for the box is beyond ridiculous (to me) to start with. $500 for the box with a game seems an order of magnitude more ridiculous, but it's really about the same (to me). Anyone, of course, was free to outbid him, and he may not even be able to get $162 for it with the game, in the end. Risk can result in profit OR loss.

What bugs me is when someone buys a limited-qty homebrew - or device - from one of the creative and charitable people on a forum like this - and *then* tries to profiteer on Ebay. But outbidding everybody else on Ebay and then trying to profit on Ebay doesn't seem objectionable to me, because the "entrepreneur" isn't preying upon the kindness of creative-folk to bring the community unique products at affordable (as possible) prices - they're merely gambling.

• Like 6

Exactly. All I see is crying about not winning auctions and then complaining about prices of items that someone else is selling. So much hate for capitalism, I just don't get it.

Just because someone supports capitalism doesn't mean that all selling for a profit is a good thing. While I agree that the bitching gets old and there's not much that can be done, I certainly don't think what a select group of resellers are doing (i.e. winning auctions and then immediately flipping for 5X-10X the price, often without even receiving the item or bothering to use a new photo) should be lauded. There are some "services" that actually hurt people on both ends of the transaction (the original seller gets screwed out of their share of the sale price and the collector pays far more than dealing with the original seller directly). It reminds me of those people who stand in open parking spaces in busy downtown areas and demand payment for what are public parking spaces or someone standing at a gas pump and demanding payment for cleaning a window that you didn't want cleaned. They are engaged in capitalism, but they aren't providing a service anyone really wants or needs.

• Like 3

Just because capitalism is fine, doesn't mean all enterprises under capitalism are. That argument wouldn't fly anywhere else. There's a reason ancient peoples decried usury (charging interest on loans) and profiting off "trade" (aka reselling for a profit as they knew it). Just because it's legal doesn't make it right, and being selfish is hardly what capitalism is all about. If it's ruinous to society, or even aspects of society, it's still wrong. Driving the prices up like this is technically gouging, and should be condemned as antithetical to free trade. If people bought only what they wanted to buy, and got a real job contributing to society, we'd be in a much better position.

It's not like they're making unavailable items available from the masses, either, since it's on eBay and already available to all.

• Like 3

Just because capitalism is fine, doesn't mean all enterprises under capitalism are. That argument wouldn't fly anywhere else.

It's not like they're making unavailable items available from the masses, either, since it's on eBay and already available to all.

I agree with you and most of what I can see is someone with more cash at the time buying up stuff they know they can flip for a profit in the future. Kinda like taking money to make money so to speak. Is it annoying when you know the only reason you didn't get something is cause a single re-seller jacked up the end price time and time again? Sure it is but at the end of the day, it's pay to play and some people are willing to pay more or just can pay more and it's their prerogative if they choose to do so and sit on items with a high sale price hoping someone gets desperate or impatient and pays the price they ask. Again, it's shitty to see when your after something they have for sale at what is considered an inflated price or they win an auction you wish you had won but they paid the price and anyone that didn't win obviously didn't want it bad enough or threads like this would not exist.

• Like 1

It unfortunately comes down to the fact that they bought the item and it's theirs to do with whatever they want. I despise that but those are the facts. Some people (like this one) seem to care less for the games themselves and only see the $$$ associated with the hobby (or business in their eyes). Many of us here have a genuine passion for the games and the nostalgia they represent. The argument has been made that it doesn't hurt anyone what they list it for since it won't sell if it's too high anyway. I still contend that listing price is constantly used by countless flea marketers, garage sellers, craigslisters, etc and artificially increases the price point across the hobby. Eventually it may get to the point that it will price the vast majority of us out that aren't made of money. It's just a frustrating situation when you see certain people do this time and again, but it is what it is. I often try to bid this seller up whenever I see them bidding on things. Just a little payback from me to them.

I will tell you a dirty little secret, a lot of the re-sellers are collectors, they are funding future purchases of high caliber items, with the proceeds of the sales from medium rarities. ;) Shhh, don't tell anyone! :P

Yeah, I know. I disdain the practice of buying just to sell and would never do it myself but I'm not naive and realize it happens all the time.

I will tell you a dirty little secret, a lot of the re-sellers are collectors, they are funding future purchases of high caliber items, with the proceeds of the sales from medium rarities. ;) Shhh, don't tell anyone! :P

Doesn't justify their actions or the damage they are doing to other collectors. There are other legitimate ways to make money that don't involve inserting yourself into a sales process where you are neither welcome nor necessary.

If the seller is happy with the price they get, then it is no one's business.

Just because a reseller lists something they just bought for 3x - 5x their purchase price, that does not necessarily mean that they will sell that item.

Usually they price themselves out of the market.

Example: I sold three Panda games to someone for $500. Weeks later I received a few PMs that they were listed on Ebay for outrageous prices.

A boxed Exocet for $799?!? This was in August and they are still on Ebay.

On a happier note, I took the $500 and bought the entire collection of Panda boxes for around $540.

post-1351-0-89618900-1414190668_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

If the seller is happy with the price they get, then it is no one's business.

Just because a reseller lists something they just bought for 3x - 5x their purchase price, that does not necessarily mean that they will sell that item.

As I mentioned above, so many people use the LISTING price for items as the starting price for selling their own items that yes, it does hurt others when this occurs. Listing prices begin to translate into listing prices for multiple others which in turn drives prices up over time. It doesn't matter if it sells or not it is damaging to the hobby as a whole.

• Like 1

Sure, I do think that prices of 2600 CIB games do fluctuate WITH the stock market. When the economy is good or the indicators of the economy are strong, then the games are more expensive and people definitely will pay more. Example is 2004-2006 period when prices on CIB games went through the roof because the economy was doing so well. During that period I overpaid for a CIB Quadrun because I could at the time and the price didn't matter. Today I can buy the same CIB game for 50-75% of what I paid back then.