IGNORED

Pick 3 games to define the 7800 Library

toiletunes

1. Xevious (Showed how well the 7800 could do classic arcade ports. Food Fight and Dig Dug were also considered here)

2. Ninja Golf (Gave us a taste of what original content could've been like if given more time and attention. Also considered Midnight Mutants)

3. Rampage (Gave us an idea of what popular 3rd party games on the NES would've been like on the Atari, if they had more 3rd party support)

In the end my picks show a taste of the potential of the system as well as the fact that it tried to survive on and is most known for its older arcade ports.

Rampage (Gave us an idea of what popular 3rd party games on the NES would've been like on the Atari, if they had more 3rd party support)

Rampage (and Double Dragon) were both unfortunately, handled at best, fairly by Activision, at the very least, appear rushed graphically.

If the 7800 would of had more 3rd party support, and handled properly - including financing, development, and other resources, titles such as (especially) Commando and Ikari Warriors demonstrate more like what the 7800 hopefully would have saw regarding popular 3rd party games on the NES.

Food Fight - only home conversion of the cult arcade game, and programmed by the designers of the console hardware.

Ninja Golf - off the wall original 7800 title that shows off the hardware pretty well and became something of an internet sensation as far as obscure games go.

Pole Position II - this one is easy: it was the pack in game for the bundled units. Good or bad, it "defines" 7800 as much as Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt and Alex Kidd in Miracle World does for many NES and SMS owners, respectively.

Edited by spiffyone

Joust (my favorite home version of one of my all time favorite games)

Galaga (not unique but a very good version)

Robotron 2084 (virtually the only thing the awful stock 7800 controllers are good for, IMHO of course, is twin stick Robotron action. The 7800 version SHINES with the right control set up.)

c282e4ca-4d35-43f1-99a4-71b9d2ff09dc.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Asteroids - One of the first games made for the system and does a good job showing off the graphics and multiple objects on screen.

Ballblazer - One of two released games to use the Pokey chip for excellent sound, as well as being a fine port with smooth pseudo 3D.

Food Fight - One of the best and most popular games on the system.

Joust (my favorite home version of one of my all time favorite games)

Galaga (not unique but a very good version)

Robotron 2084 (virtually the only thing the awful stock 7800 controllers are good for, IMHO of course, is twin stick Robotron action. The 7800 version SHINES with the right control set up.)

c282e4ca-4d35-43f1-99a4-71b9d2ff09dc.jpg

I usually use Genesis pads and sticks since the game is compatible with 1 button controllers. The holder looks awesome, though.

Centipede is the best two player co-op game ever on the 7800!

For true co-op two player I agree with you, but the Bride and I have had many rip-roaring co-op one player games of Robotron 2084 in which she drives and I shoot. This was very weird at first, but once we got rolling we were posting scores much higher than either of us could achieve individually - as high as 695,000 at "intermediate" difficulty a week or so ago.

• Like 1