IGNORED

Ramdisks -- Sparta and MyDos

Larry

TXG/MNX is right -- we should move this out of the BB thread. (So now that I've done that, it will probably burn out!)

I've downloaded all those ramdisk drivers, and I'll try them out with MyDos. RAMJET only mentions Sparta, though, so I don't expect it to work.

I believe Thunderdome has them all:

http://mixinc.net/atari/

-Larry

On further thought about ramjet and it's purported dual use with a MyDOS ramdisk, this would be possible only if you used the AINIT feature of Sparta to access the MyDOS ramdisk. By that I mean the feature where Sparta will read and write to a DOS 2.0 type disk automagically. It never is a Sparta ramdisk or one with both file systems on it, it only has DOS 2.0 file system. But this limits the size of the ramdisk to 90K. Sparta won't even do a MyDOS 1040 sector ramdisk since it's got the 2nd VTOC and AINIT ain't going there (ohh!!), so it's not very useful at all at such a puny size. Can be done but why bother? But just in case somebody wants to try, you will need to copy 0700 thru 087F to 4000 of the first bank (at 0BBA) of the ramdisk as MyDOS doesn't put in the boot sectors normally when it formats the ramdisk and Sparta will be looking for that data and giving errors when it's not found. With these two caveats satisfied, it should work fine. MyRD does do this but it may not be a full three boot sectors, but maybe enough to satisfy Sparta just the same - no warranties though. Just verified this, MyRD is short the last sector of the boot sectors, but is this worth another release of it? Should have thought to put version info into it somewhere ya think?

So 6 banks is probably the limit for a 768 sector MyDOS ramdisk, just don't know how that will work out in reality since I've never tried shorting it like this before. But will when I find the time. Should be at work right now...

Had the same thought about a new thread dieing, but right is right, we way off topic in there - RIP just in case. And it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if the moderator wanted to put some of those non relevant ramdisk topic posts in here either.