IGNORED

Play ROMS on an Atari 800

Smack2k

Is there an adapter or a way to play roms on a real Atari 800 or 800 XL machine?

Setting mine up and wondering what my options are to play some of the games made for it. Does the SIO2PC work on these?

Edited by Smack2k

If you mean supported images in general as 'roms' then yes, sio2pc will work fine and there are handfulls of sites with just about every game/software you could want including a healthy amount of homebrew stuff. For my 800xl's I only have 1 cartridge, everything else I do sio2pc via the usb variant from atarimax.com

Excellent…I have the SIO2PC USB Variant as well...

Is the XL a better idea to run that the 800 (I have both) to play all the games? I love the look of the 800 so have a fondness for bringing it out..

Setting up a "retro gaming lab" in my garage and the 800 or 800XL will be one of the "always there" machines, so your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Excellent…I have the SIO2PC USB Variant as well...

Is the XL a better idea to run that the 800 (I have both) to play all the games? I love the look of the 800 so have a fondness for bringing it out..

Setting up a "retro gaming lab" in my garage and the 800 or 800XL will be one of the "always there" machines, so your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I recommend 16 meg .ATRs that have about 1000 games each on them. You can load the images with APE/ASPEQT using your SIO2PC.

They are alphabetical in order, so you can quickly find what you want.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/187482-4-atari-16mb-hard-disk-images-completed/

(Hope that link works)