IGNORED

Move along folks, nothing to see here!

Irgendwer

We are waiting :)

That's a good sign... ;)

Since life happens while you making other plans, here the current status:

The converter as it was planned with the reduced funcionality is 99% finished.

But since I expect a galore of converted images once the program is released, I decided to include the additional colour change-feature in the first public release - suppressing updates of conversions which would surely appear if the converter would be released in two steps.

About 1/3 of the work for the feature is already done, so expect something nice not later than christmas...

...it will be worthwhile to wait.

I'll keep you updated here.

• Like 3

Aged peoples have been loved Tubular Bells ...

There are too much of them(TB) now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Freaky Fripp)

By the way, today I saw a poster that Mc Loughlin now here in Moscow. Such a crazy life!

Today I need not him TOO!

;)

Too old to Rock'n Roll Too Joung to Die.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Since life happens while you making other plans...

QFT.

Waiting at the paediatrician for 2 1/2 h today wasn't that much fun. I'm still trying to hold my own deadline Christmas, but also beg for mercy if some delay may occur.

To shorten the waiting time, here are the latest results...

post-7778-0-30928700-1419286148_thumb.png

post-7778-0-28247300-1419286149_thumb.png

post-7778-0-19027700-1419286150_thumb.png

post-7778-0-08795600-1419286151_thumb.png

post-7778-0-00855100-1419286152_thumb.png

post-7778-0-45933500-1419286153_thumb.png

post-7778-0-92537400-1419286155_thumb.png

post-7778-0-98724000-1419286156_thumb.png

post-7778-0-06128200-1419286158_thumb.png

...and now even better:

post-7778-0-05448400-1419286159_thumb.png

xex.zip

• Like 10

Ha!

I was so evil to release 24 of the older pics in the latest Pro© Atari Magazine, issue 4. All pics had been packed to fit on a 130k diskette (only one sector was free). Maybe I will release the new pics in one of the forthcoming issues of PAM...

Hoping to see the gfx converter soon... (allthough I already have far too many pics on/for the A8, think one life is not enough to view them all, but the same is true for music and other A8 stuff).

QFT.

Waiting at the paediatrician for 2 1/2 h today wasn't that much fun. I'm still trying to hold my own deadline Christmas, but also beg for mercy if some delay may occur.

To shorten the waiting time, here are the latest results... [...] ...and now even better: [...]

Very interesting pictures :thumbsup:

Particularly I like "LightHouse.xex", "LillyPads.xex", "PFDB.xex" and "roseS.xex". Especially interesting because you didn't use flickering. Can I assume that it still uses PAL interlace?

Particularly I like "LightHouse.xex", "LillyPads.xex", "PFDB.xex" and "roseS.xex". Especially interesting because you didn't use flickering. Can I assume that it still uses PAL interlace?

Not sure what you mean with "PAL interlace", but PAL blending helps for the colour impression, even the depiction works also on NTSC to some degree (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231181-move-along-folks-nothing-to-see-here/?do=findComment&comment=3100886).

Interlacing doesn't take place. These all are single frame, static pictures with the conservative memory usage and no PMG DMA.

I'm also quite content with the results.

The behaviour of the colour clock delay for PRIOR $80 helps a lot to virtually enhance the resolution

- and the PAL blending

- and the 16 shades in every other line

- and the unaffected grey scale when changing other registers than COLBK.

I doubt that, but someone could get the impression, that GTIA was created in respect to this mode... (just joking, otherwise 16 instead of 8+1 colour registers would improve the display further...).

Thanks for all encouraging words!

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1

Yes, indeed, I mean PAL blending. Does it use DLIs? Maybe it's interesting when combining this with PoKey timers instead of DLIs; using 15 kHz mode or turn 1 voice into 1.79 MHz mode. Just to sync a PoKey IRQ to an ideal X-coordinate on the screen (write to STIMER), and 114 machine cycles; thus define AUDF := 110. Then you won't need WSYNC, wasting cycles, and you still have 3 PoKey voices free for sounds & music. Maybe another possibility: combine it with GTIA's 1-bit sample techniques or PoKey samples.

• Like 1

Yes, indeed, I mean PAL blending. Does it use DLIs? Maybe it's interesting when combining this with PoKey timers instead of DLIs; using 15 kHz mode or turn 1 voice into 1.79 MHz mode. Just to sync a PoKey IRQ to an ideal X-coordinate on the screen (write to STIMER), and 114 machine cycles; thus define AUDF := 110. Then you won't need WSYNC, wasting cycles, and you still have 3 PoKey voices free for sounds & music. Maybe another possibility: combine it with GTIA's 1-bit sample techniques or PoKey samples.

Not sure if POKEY-IRQ is really "faster". Do you have to retrigger the timer or does it automatically reload it? I used the POKEY IRQ just once in my PAL-blending experiments and have no clue what I did back then :)

WSYNC isn't needed if NOPs are used and finally, POKEY IRQ runs 312 scanlines, DLIs only during display (max. 240) so you have to to actually do something.

But all this aside, I suspect it uses a 2600-style kernel anyhow. too lazy to re-read the thread.

EDIT:

while checking out the pics on the Atari:

If there is CPU time in the border, why not implement "Centron 3D" without flickering. :P

Edited by Creature XL

Not sure if POKEY-IRQ is really "faster". Do you have to retrigger the timer or does it automatically reload it? I used the POKEY IRQ just once in my PAL-blending experiments and have no clue what I did back then :)

WSYNC isn't needed if NOPs are used and finally, POKEY IRQ runs 312 scanlines, DLIs only during display (max. 240) so you have to to actually do something.

I don't understand every little detail about IRQ's (for that probably you need to talk with Phaeron x) ), but from my own experience they could be faster.

I normally trigger them inside a DLI once per frame, then they run automatically (as FJC says) over the scan lines that I need them, and then are deactivated for the rest of the frame (using a counter inside the IRQ code, or maybe using another DLI).

You also need to do some kind of sync at the start of your code, if you want the IRQ's to happen before a specific vertical position (for color changes for example, if you are going to have one per scan line).

The bigger issue is probably the lost of a sound channel.

Emmm.. doing a WSYNC or NOPs is the same.. just lost processor time :)

Does it use DLIs?

Then you won't need WSYNC, wasting cycles...

Yes, I'm using DLIs.

Two modes are in operation now:

The first one is for pictures, where the palette is static over the complete image (like for the first bunch of pictures or 'roseS' or the lizard above).

The DLI is constant, and quite simple & short here:

sta regA

lda latestPrior

eor #$11000000

sta latestPrior

sta WSYNC

sta PRIOR

lda regA

rti

(regA and latestPrior are in ZP-space)

Of course I'm open for code doing the same thing and frees more CPU time!

For the mode with additional colour changes I haven't now the time for optimization and currently use a brute force single DLI WSYNC per line approach.

This is subject to change (after the initial release) and will then also free some cycles in static coloured areas.

You may guessed it already, but an annoying bug prevents the release over the x-mas days. :-(

I also have to finish the manual, which I regard as important to safe the time for answering questions.

I may upload a small introduction vid to show the basics of the converter.

Stay tuned and thanks for the patience.

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 3

Not sure if POKEY-IRQ is really "faster". [...]

Not only speed counts. ;) ... Maybe it's more interesting because of x-coordinate control: f.e. in mid scanline it can be initiated. And instead of 114 you can also activate IRQs at every 57, 38 or 19 machine cycles as well, and it's all in sync with a scanline. And indeed, not using a heavy OS IRQ handler, but using a very simple custom IRQ handler instead (using only just one function), can be very fast.

Edited by analmux
  • Like 1