IGNORED

Stuart's TI-99/4A - Internet Web Browser

Omega-TI

• 2 weeks later...
Well I had a little time to play around some more.. I think that It's a timeout.. The simple web-server is not giving the TI enough time to sent the get response.

Telnet doesn't give me enough time. I see it pause for a split second..

So I typed in [telnet 192.168.1.102 80] and very quickly pasted [GET / HTTP/1.1] and it responded..

You have to be VERY quick. I am going to look at the server code to see if I can put in a delay.

Edited by slinkeey

That was it! Time Outs!

I will need to fix some more timing issues. This tiny browser just does not like the TI being slow.

I think I will start another thread to go into details, as it can be about the whole project.. I have been keeping it on the down low, as to not cause noise for something I am just tinkering with. It revolves around me having free time, or not.

Thank you everyone.

• Like 1

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. If you can't tweak the server settings to wait for 37 year old computers, one fix might be to proxy your requests so that a listening program running on your Linux box could be called by the TI which would wait for the entire GET request from the TI, then make a lightening fast request to your embedded server, and relay the results back to the TI.

I for one would like to hear about your project when you're ready to release details :)

• 2 months later...

Is anyone running the UDS-10 patch cable to a switch? Does the UDS-10 patch cable need to be connected directly to the Ethernet modem? I'm asking because I've run into the problem that the browser keeps retrying to connect but never does. I've run into this problem with a controller device I have here that gave me problems while connected to a switch until I connected it to the modem directly. I'm running version 9.2 of the Browser.

Is anyone running the UDS-10 patch cable to a switch? Does the UDS-10 patch cable need to be connected directly to the Ethernet modem? I'm asking because I've run into the problem that the browser keeps retrying to connect but never does. I've run into this problem with a controller device I have here that gave me problems while connected to a switch until I connected it to the modem directly. I'm running version 9.2 of the Browser.

I have mine in my shop which is connected to a switch there, which is patched into a switch in my garage, which connects to my firewall, which then connects to the cable modem. Any number of switches shouldn't be a problem.

I'd suggest double-checking all of your UDS-10 settings against Stuart's latest recommendations based on which version of his browser you are running at http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser

especially the auto-increment source port field. This is one that has caused some flakiness for many of us, and changing it to auto-increment seems to avoid a lot of issues where I suspect one's local NAT is mistakenly causing packets to be dropped.

• Auto increment source port: Y

(Now recommend setting this option to Y, which makes the UDS-10 behave when behind some types of firewall. If your version of UDS-10 firmware doesn't have this option, set the Port No option to 0.)

Hi, did it ever work ? There were some firmware-issues iirc, on the UDS-10, maybe this ? (which version do you run?)

xXx

I run mine to a switch, now I had the same exact problem and we found out that we had to set the Auto Increment to YES for the browser to work with my version of the UDS. And of course Connect Mode = D4 and baud =38400

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

There was an updated setting that made this problem go away. might be part of your issue.. also there's a good test program in cortex basic back a ways in this topic

Thanks for the replies. Here's a photo of my connector for the UDS-10 and TI RS232. UDS-10 connector to the left of the photo and TI RS232 connector to the right. I run the program RSC2. Will post again with screen capture of my UDS-10 settings.

post-36289-0-46542000-1488138460_thumb.jpg

My UDS-10 settings.

couple of things.

Set your flow to 00

And I noticed your disconnect time is actuall set to 1/2 a second. the UDS disconnect time is set as 'MINUTES:SECONDS"

maybe it's having an issue with the 1/2 second... I have mine set for the bbs to 07:30 and it works great.

• Like 2

Still no luck guys. Everything on my end seems to be working. Program loads beautiful with the F18A and the favorites load to the screen nicely. All keys and options seem to work as expected but just doesn't connect. Will try again this weekend to get to the bottom of the problem with fresh eyes. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm overlooking.

Stuart has done really nice work with this and I'm certain I'll be setting up a page for everyone to visit when I get a chunk of time.

Still no luck guys. Everything on my end seems to be working. Program loads beautiful with the F18A and the favorites load to the screen nicely. All keys and options seem to work as expected but just doesn't connect. Will try again this weekend to get to the bottom of the problem with fresh eyes. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm overlooking.

Stuart has done really nice work with this and I'm certain I'll be setting up a page for everyone to visit when I get a chunk of time.

Are you using a straight-through cable and not a null modem? You want a straight-through cable without a null modem which swaps TX and RX for the devices, plus some optional handshaking lines.

• Like 1

Are you using a straight-through cable and not a null modem? You want a straight-through cable without a null modem which swaps TX and RX for the devices, plus some optional handshaking lines.

Funny you ask. I'm assuming I have a straight through cable 25pin male/male that I picked out of the pile as it was the perfect length for the job but you know what they always say about assuming things. ;) I'll put the continuity meter to it this weekend and make sure just exactly what this cable is. Stay tuned.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll see about getting that on it's way ASAP Stuart.. I am assuming you have a sidecar 32k to plug it into?

Greg

Cheers Greg.

I've got a Matt 32K sidecar, so no problems there.

Just checked by Rasp Pi and its actually a Pi 2 Model B. Do I definitately need a Pi 3? Or will it work with a Pi 2, but not 'guaranteed'?

Stuart

Cheers Greg.

I've got a Matt 32K sidecar, so no problems there.

Just checked by Rasp Pi and its actually a Pi 2 Model B. Do I definitately need a Pi 3? Or will it work with a Pi 2, but not 'guaranteed'?

Stuart

nod i should work with any pi imho but it's only tested/guarranteed with the 3 series and zerow Also you'll need a external power supply for the 32k to power the TIPI if you don't have one already

Greg

Any new updates on TIPI compatibility?

There is a python script that emulates a UDS10 device. I have used it with a cable running between my windows pc and the TI and successfully used Stuarts Browser. But it does require a RS232 card so something would have to be done to maybe emulate the TIRS232 card or a new script maybe to act as a proxy so to speak.

It's real easy to emulate the TIPI as an RS232 device. The key here is to request only a single charater instead of a string. Then, it is just a matter of putting that character, if one is waiting, into the buffer. The Mass Transfer source code I converted to TIPI has the necessary code.

Beery

• Like 2