adventure rpg venture

105 replies to this topic

#101 Lord Thag OFFLINE  

Lord Thag

River Patroller

• 3,151 posts
  • We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:31 PM

A lot of people, myself included, are tired of upgrading movie hardware every few years for overpriced media that we can just stream online. That's one of the reasons blueray hasn't taken over the market the way VHS or DVDs did. It's just not worth paying double the money for a disc that doesn't give you double the entertainment save in rare cases where the movie actually does benefit (say Avatar or Star Wars). 

A friend of mine collects laser discs, and even has one of those rare panasonic laseractive units with  tg16 and genesis modules. They are pretty fun to watch, and they were miles ahead of VHS. They were luxury items though, most people didn't care. Sort of the movie equivalent of a Neo Geo AES. He also has one of those even weirder units that (and I am forgetting the name of the technology) used some kind of weird high def cartridge that held a 'high definition' record-like thing. 

I had kind of a fun retro experience on my honeymoon a few weeks ago. We stayed at this cabin complex on the coast. All the units had VCRs and the main office had a huge VHS library. We watched a bunch of movies in that format, first time in probably 15 years.

Was pretty funny. Took us awhile to get used to 'rewind' again :grin:  

#102 peteym5 OFFLINE  

peteym5

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,740 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:39 AM

I noticed Blu Ray has not gained a large foothold for Computer Media also. There is even BDXL disk media that gets you over 100GB per disk. These days, we have other options like USB & SD flash drives, external hard drives. Internal Hard Drives over 2TB have really come down in price. Problem I started seeing with DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs burning, they only good for backing up stuff that rarely changes, like your downloaded music, games, tv shows, and movies. But if you want to back up documents and source code that changes daily, it is better to use something re-writable. I played around with CD-RWs and DVD-RWs, and after a few writes, the drive cannot read them anymore.

#103 Gunstar ONLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 8,443 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:24 AM

I was a person that recorded good movies in SP mode on VHS. Used EP for TV shows that had lots of episodes, or else you'll end up with a living room full of video tapes. Nowadays, we can fit several whole TV series on a single hard drive. VHS and Betamax used a half inch analog format. I am not sure if anyone used a digital format with video tapes. I know TV networks uses 3/4 to 2 inch wide tapes for a very high quality recording, to get beyond that, you might as well try to get the original movie on film. I admit DVD looks sharper than even a VHS at SP mode. Blu Ray may look better when you play back on larger displays, and still seems to have trouble gaining a majority market share. Looks like by the time everyone has a Blu-Ray player, someone will have something better. Maybe be a flash drive that plugs into your TV, or will be all streaming video services. I know many out there download video illegally through a bit-torrent website, and with that, a larger file may be chosen for better quality.  

Before Blue-Ray, if you wanted HD movies on your early HDTV, you got yourself one of these: 

And yes, it is digital format, on tape. VHS tape.

Here is a later model Laserdisc player from the late 90's:

Another video format I own, just because the format intrigues me, is CED: 

Some of us don't care about how much video you can fit onto something, some of us LIKE to have rooms full of different format media. 

As to the professional video recording, they've had S-video taping, since the late 70's or early 80's, or S-VHS which is which is higher resolution than standard VHS, and since it is recorded though S-video instead of composite, of course it looks far better than SP mode of standard VHS with composite. And, as you stated, other larger formats of tape media with also have much higher resolution due to area and higher density. But Laserdisc is far better than any consumer tape format from the 70's-90's, until D-VHS came out.

Edited by Gunstar, Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 AM.

#104 peteym5 OFFLINE  

peteym5

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,740 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:44 PM

I see "Galaxy Quest" is mention in the video. We need Tim Allen to add more power to get HDTV and end up with the video head cylinder shoot out through the top of the machine.

You know, DVDs only support MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 at around 5000 bits per second. If they supported MPEG-4 (DIVX and XVID) you can compress a Blu-Ray Quality movie onto a 4.3GB DVD disk. My DVD player supports DIVX and XVID files.

Edited by peteym5, Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:51 PM.

#105 Stephen ONLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,381 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:08 PM

I see "Galaxy Quest" is mention in the video. We need Tim Allen to add more power to get HDTV and end up with the video head cylinder shoot out through the top of the machine.

You know, DVDs only support MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 at around 5000 bits per second. If they supported MPEG-4 (DIVX and XVID) you can compress a Blu-Ray Quality movie onto a 4.3GB DVD disk. My DVD player supports DIVX and XVID files.

Yeah - this whole MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4 is why I wish HD-DVD would have beaten BluRay back when then was the current war.  Oh well - as usual a technologically inferior technology wins .

#106 peteym5 OFFLINE  

peteym5

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,740 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:40 AM

I am not sure if MPEG-4 was used with HD-DVD or was included with the players firmware. MPEG-4 was around since the early 2000s, and is a codec that could had been added to DVD players. Like I said, there are players out there that can play back AVI, MOV, and MP4 files store on laser media. You can have your PC play back movies for you and output to a HDTV. This whole subject about laserdisc started because I mentioned modern software being backed up or distributed by laser disk, or laser media disks that are burned by and read by a laser beam, CD, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and BDXL. 

I am glad to have open discussion about the Secretum Labyrinth adventure games here. I provided "Kings Gold" as a free game so I can get some feed back, get ideals on making things better, and get help with debugging before the larger adventure games go to cartridge.

Now with the next big Secretum Labyrinth Adventure/RPG game for the 8-bit, I am thinking about something with 500+ rooms, and many of new types of things you need to do to get beyond a certain point in the game. Enemies that not only attack you, but can steal money, and items from you. How many would like to see that?

I do not want to make Secretum Labyrinth into a turn based Role Playing Game like Advance Dungeons and Dragons, or do the six character attribute thing with Charisma, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, and Stamina. I made more of an action-adventure game. However I am going add one or two attributes. You will press "C" on the keyboard to bring up a short character status display at the top of the screen. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adventure, rpg, venture

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users