IGNORED

I was trying to get this done for Halloween, but...

PacManPlus

Short video demonstrating the very early WIP from Nov-16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_4mYKHJWxI

:thumbsup:

Very cool. The engine looks almost as good as Retro City Rampage NES homebrew. I would love to see the engine recycled into a GTA clone.

IMO, needs some sort of Robotron-like control scheme. It seems you could benefit greatly from shooting and walking/running in opposite directions.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

The engine looks almost as good as Retro City Rampage NES homebrew.

Retro City Rampage NES homebrew utilizes Nintendo's largest and most expensive MMC configuration - MMC5 (Same setup utilized to pull off Castlevania III).

It adds the following to NES graphics hardware:

-A scanline based IRQ counter.

-Vertical split screen scrolling.

-Highly configurable program and character ROM bank switching.

-16,384 different tiles available per screen rather than just 25.

-Each individual 8x8-pixel background tile has its own color assignment instead of restricted to one color set per 2x2 tile group.

An outstanding testimony to the work being done here, looking "almost as good" as a NES homebrew which requires the most expensive enhancement chip configuration that greatly improves upon NES graphic hardware. ;)

• Like 3

Thanks guys :)

...and thanks Trebor for the video ;)

Once you know how to do it, 8 way scrolling isn't that bad. I experimented with two separate 8 way scrolling regions in the demo bin I posted a few pages back... That was a little more hairy, but possible as shown. ;)

I'll see some of you at 'Free Play Florida' over the weekend!

Bob

• Like 5

Short video demonstrating the very early WIP from Nov-16:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_4mYKHJWxI

That is bad ass.

If I could make one recommendation…add some animation for the legs moving just slightly on the main character.

Is it possible to have a second player or would that complicate the scrolling too much?

Third…what's the audio options? :)

Frikkin' awesome, guys!

I actually *had* animations for the player, but I took them out for two reasons; 1 - People were right; it looked like a tail wagging, and 2 - I needed the graphic space for death animations.

Also, I don't think this is going to be a double-joystick game. Only after I started working on this did I realize it had a 'Gauntlet-type' feel to it... and I'd like to keep that.

Audio might be TIA for sound effects, and Pokey for music. I need to write a sound kernel that handles both, and then just use that from now on... For future projects, if I don't want the Pokey, I can only use the TIA channels ,and vice-versa.

Thanks again, guys.

Bob

• Like 1

I gotta say I thought Gauntlet too, especially when I saw the death sequence at the end, but a hack is no less impressive if someone put the time and effort into the animation and artwork. Besides which PacManPlus has a VERY GOOD list of quality 7800 games under his belt.

• Like 1

Check 7800 forum to discover a new project from PMP is a nice surprise.

Looks great! and it show the capabilities of our beloved prosystem. And if it includes a 2players option (even in the same screen) would be awesome!

I hope to see more progress on it. Regards!

Probably just about all of us couldn't find anyone to play a two player game with :grin:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If no 2-player option, if possible, I'd vote for dual joystick option. That would bring the tally on 7800 games I'm aware of that support it to 2. That would definitely be cool once the ProLine Joystick Coupler is finally able to be 3D printed...

That would only work with quad pokey.

That would only work with quad pokey.

For that comment, Jinks, I'm going to cast this spell in your general direction: XM XM XM XM XM XM CURT XM XM HIGH SCORE CARTRIDGE XM XM XM CURT XM XM XM XM XM BUSINESS IS WAR XM XM XM XM XM XM XM CURT XM XM XM XM SYZYGY XM XM XM XM XM XM USB JOYSTICKS XM XM XM XM XM

Touch your red high heels together and say "the 5200 is the awesomest console ever" and you may yet be able to escape that customized personal nightmare I just condemned you to. Or not. Good luck and don't blink! Blink and you'll be stuck playing an Odyssey 2 as well as Ralph Baer's Tennis game…forever… ah ha ha ha ha.

:)