IGNORED

Joyprint/Joytalk with mini memory

palmheads

Hi

Did anyone back in the day try using the Joyprint/Joytalk RS232 interface that plugged into the joystick port of the TI?

Was a cheap option for RS232 serial stuff for mini memory users apparently. 'Miniwriter I' was a cheap word processing option from the looks.

Cheers

Daryn

We did try it out at Poulsens Boghandel (bookstore), later Poulsens Computer Center, City 2, Taastrup, Denmark. First the bookstore sold the Atari VCS, then the TI-99/4A, and then later opened a separate store with all sorts of computers, accessories, software and magazines. Well, in the bookstore, at one of the counters, we got it to print and went, nice. That was about it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was entirely software driven, you used CALL LINKs to send strings to the printer (other software would also have to know about it). Since there was no DSR, normal software couldn't use it. (In retrospect, a DSR would have been possible, just required additional hardware).

The hardware itself wouldn't work with a modem - data was output only.

I built the Joytalk version, so I don't know if the commercial version was different. My understanding at the time was they were the same.

• 11 months later...

Was just reading this thread again, and had a thought.

The JoyTalk couldn't work with a modem, but in theory could you have linked the TI to another computer via RS232 & transferred a file (i.e output only)?

Obviously you'd probably had to write your own software todo it (probably modifying the JoyPrint software).

Can imagine a scenerio (a kinda pointless scenerio) where if you had written a doco with 'Mini Writer I' and the mini memory and wanted to edit more, you could have transferred it up to a larger computer to continue editing. That would have been quite cool

• 1 year later...

I think I might have answered my question above re-reading the original article in 99'er magazine. Here is the snippet:

post-40572-0-03373200-1485662826_thumb.png

"In this way, users who don't have a peripheral expansion system can output to a printer or other serial device using only a Mini Memory cartridge and some low-cost hardware..."

So I reckon you could have used the Joyprint/Joytalk interface with the included software to output a file to another computer with the same flow/parity/baud via RS-232 to receive the file (eg from Miniwriter I). Linux could be getty, Hyperterminal in Windows. Hell, TELCOM or XMODEM on a Tandy 102!!

cheers

Daryn

• 1 month later...

If anyone has one of the joyprint interfaces they want too part with, let me now.

Am gonna try & learn enough electronics to breadboard one up given the instructions on the mainbyte website (got myself a breadboard intro kit from an electronics store with 24 projects - hopefully after doing a couple of those I'II have some idea).

cheers

Daryn