IGNORED

Quake - On Modern PCs

Torr

I just recently obtained the Original Quake and both Expansion Packs, something I've wanted for a long time, being a big fan of the original Quake, and wanting the Trent Reznor soundtrack to add to my NIN collection.

However, I'm having minor difficulties with it.

1. When running in DOSBox, I get jittery/stuttery music, and it's not that the CDs are scratched, because they play fine in a CD Player.

2. Even running as low as 800x600 and having CYCLES=MAX, I still get a pretty choppy framerate.

Basically, I'd like a front end/client/whatever to run these games that DOESN'T turn the game into something completely graphically different.

I'll admit I've only done about an hours search, but I thought why look anymore when I'm sure some kinda A-Ager can help me here!, but so far everything points me towards (what I'll call a 'mod') Dark Places.

Now I will admit that what Dark Places does is pretty cool, but at the same time I don't like it... it's just not the same. I want to see the big chunky pixels when I blow something/someone up. I don't really want all these advanced lighting mechanics that weren't there originally. I don't want my HUD floating there, see-through and hovering OVER my weapon graphics. And a big want is, I want to run the Soundtrack directly from the CDs as opposed to downloading these *.PK3 files that have the soundtrack on them. If necessary I'll make my own MP3 rips, but I don't want to download these files because a) I don't download music and b) I want to know exactly HOW the music is being ripped/compressed.

Can anyone help me out here?

Edited by Torr

Didn't they release it as open source not long ago? Chances are there's been rewrites to allow it to run native without those problems.

One way to help with CD issues - just copy them into images and mount on a virtual CD drive, e.g. via Daemon Tools. That allows much quicker access and might eliminate some audio issues.

http://www.dosgamers.com/dos/dos-games/quake

Try that guide, allows you to set up a modern source port of Quake to work with the original game data.

That's the Dark Places mod I was talking about...

And maybe it CAN be configured to look like Quake originally looked... but there's a million settings to go through...

I'd rather fiddle with DOSBox settings to try and get it running smoother, which is what I guess I'm gonna have to do.

Gonna try making images and mounting them rather than run 'truely' from the CDs.