IGNORED

Root Beer Tapper: Crazy price spike?

Zenimus

Root Beer Tapper has always been an easy game to find for less than $15. Suddenly this month an auction ended at $26 with a flurry of bids. Then a week later, an even crazier auction went for $120?? Two days later, a listing for a complete copy sold for $220.

Now suddenly all listings on eBay are asking for $60+...

Did I miss something? What's going on?

Probably just a case of a game getting hot for a short period of time due to an influx of new collectors for the ColecoVision who have the money to burn and the game will settle back to normal prices soon enough.

BTW, it's a great game and one of my favorite CV titles.

My thought is we'll see a lot more of this in the coming weeks and months. I think there's going to be an influx of nostalgia buyers with the Flashback units bringing up memories to those in the mainstream who had long since forgotten about Colecovision (& Intellivision). Those people will potentially not be value driven or price research oriented, but more impulsive and cool factor driven trying to relive their youth and share with their kids.

I've seen prices go through the roof for ALL classic gaming consoles and games at Value Village or other thrift stores, that's been the case for the past 2-3 years.

They seem to use a standard pricing for all of there games for a system. Like 7.99 for Wii games (doesn't seem to matter if it's a sports game or a first party game like Mario kart) They charge 5.99 when they get NES games at a nearby value village. They would charge that much for Mario 1 or Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. So it is possible to get so good deals if you know the value of games or look stuff up on your phone. I wouldn't even consider buying a used system at the prices they charge.

Geez, i am so glad i have all the games i want now. I completed that about 4-5 years ago when games were not expensive like now. I got Root Beer Tapper, loose off eBay for like $15.00 shipping included. I got My CV Atarisoft titles like Jungle Hunt, Defender, Imagic Fathom, Dragonfire, all loose for like $20-25 each. I Don't know what they're going for now but i'm pretty sure they've gone up quite a lot.

• Like 1

Geez, i am so glad i have all the games i want now. I completed that about 4-5 years ago when games were not expensive like now. I got Root Beer Tapper, loose off eBay for like $15.00 shipping included. I got My CV Atarisoft titles like Jungle Hunt, Defender, Imagic Fathom, Dragonfire, all loose for like $20-25 each. I Don't know what they're going for now but i'm pretty sure they've gone up quite a lot.

I'm jealous :)

• Like 1

I'm jealous :)

You can still get these games loose on ebay fairly cheap, or even at shows. It's the CIB and NIB games that are selling for high prices. Like some in auction watch have stated, it may just be a waiting period while a couple deep pocket bidders battle it out for the NIB and CIB games they really want in there collection and then prices plummet. For example, there's an RBT CIB in really good shape available as a Buy Now for $210.00 and starting bid of $159.00 (ok that's still alot), whereas you can see in the above posts it went for a much higher price fairly recently. Those deep pockets are filling in there collection blanks and moving on, or so it appears.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1614734138181?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=161473413818&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

• Like 1

You can still get these games loose on ebay fairly cheap, or even at shows. It's the CIB and NIB games that are selling for high prices. Like some in auction watch have stated, it may just be a waiting period while a couple deep pocket bidders battle it out for the NIB and CIB games they really want in there collection and then prices plummet. For example, there's an RBT CIB in really good shape available as a Buy Now for $210.00 and starting bid of $159.00 (ok that's still alot), whereas you can see in the above posts it went for a much higher price fairly recently. Those deep pockets are filling in there collection blanks and moving on, or so it appears.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1614734138181?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=161473413818&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Those deep pockets!!!!

I've the full loose cartridge collection, now I'm converting it into CIB :)

But with these prices I'm being more careful!

• 3 months later...

My thought is we'll see a lot more of this in the coming weeks and months. I think there's going to be an influx of nostalgia buyers with the Flashback units bringing up memories to those in the mainstream who had long since forgotten about Colecovision (& Intellivision). Those people will potentially not be value driven or price research oriented, but more impulsive and cool factor driven trying to relive their youth and share with their kids.

Bingo. This is exactly what happening and I can tell you this because this is exactly what happened with me. I bought the Flashback and suddenly got nostalgic and sentimental for the old systems again and started buying up old games again. I have been researching pricing carefully and will wait for a good deal. I'm not going to pay absurd ebay prices though.

Thing is, high prices start the ole bandwagon effect. I would hope folks REFUSE to pay the prices but there's always the ones with deep pockets who will pay the insane prices. I don't know what to think, this can get a little complicated. Once they sell one insane priced game, that will be enough to keep doing it. But like murph74 posted, the CV flashback has ignited nostalgic interest from some folks with deep pockets who pay the high prices. Sucks for us collectors who were used to the reasonable prices, but that's the way it is with everything. I'm don't know if that caused high price hikes for individual games for all of the other classic console FB's though.

Edited by Rik