IGNORED

Colecovision Controller -- Hints?

SoulBlazer

So as I said in the Colecovision Flashback thread, I got my long-awaited Sam's Club version of the CV Flashback tonight and played around with it just now for about a half hour.

I don't know how the FB controller compares to the original one -- I've never had a Colecovision and never used one. I know some people complained about the joystick knob, but I found that to be okay.

My problem is the REST of the controller. :P

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for dealing with these following issues that I quickly ran into playing a few games?

1) The controller is bulky and VERY uncomfortable to hold. It's so large that it fits in a weird way in my hands, with it's rectangle-ish shape. Compared to a modern controller or even the original NES controller pad, which was small, I have to hold this Colecovision controller in both hands -- one hand to hold it and push the side action buttons, and the other hand to use the joystick knob. After a bit of this my hands start cramping. If I try putting it in my lap and just using one hand, I can't get at the side buttons easily.

2) The side buttons are terrible. Again, I don't know how they compare to the original, but I really have to push it in deep. And it's in such a odd location -- see complaint #1 above. Whose bright idea was it back in the day to put in SIDE action buttons? :thumbsdown:

3) The overlays slide in easy enough but it also makes it harder to push the keypad buttons over the overlays. It encourages you to memorize all the controls, that's for sure.

I just hope the Intelivision Flashback controller isn't this bad. :)

Now I know why people hated this controller so much! :(

Hahahaha, that was so funny :)

Everyone here at Colecovision forums has learnt to live and love these ugly controllers or replace them with Yurkie ones or homebrew ones :)

After playing a while with original Colecovision controllers I've stronger hands ;) but almost destroyed my thumbs with the side buttons, at the end I prefer to use the smoother Yurkie ones for long-plays.

Hahahaha, that was so funny :)

Everyone here at Colecovision forums has learnt to live and love these ugly controllers or replace them with Yurkie ones or homebrew ones :)

After playing a while with original Colecovision controllers I've stronger hands ;) but almost destroyed my thumbs with the side buttons, at the end I prefer to use the smoother Yurkie ones for long-plays.

I don't believe I've ever seen the Yurkie controllers. Are they still available?

• Like 1

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for dealing with these following issues that I quickly ran into playing a few games?

The control stick is shorter than the original so the flashback's is worse than the original IMO.

This is how I hold the controller, similar to how I used to hold it back in the 80's:

- Make your right hand like your going to choke someone or grab a water pipe.

- Place the control knob between thumb and forefinger base (the "web" part of your thumb and forefinger)

- Move forefinger over the top so it rests slights over the top of the knob.

Since its so short it feels like your almost palming (pressing down) it and moving it around. As cheesy as it sounds I can take a pic and show you. :P

Also, Yurkie makes great ball knob controllers as others mentioned. Highly recommended!

I posted this in the flashback thread:

I've always held the CV controller in-between the lower thumb and base of the forefinger (metacarpal bones). With my forefinger and middle slightly curved over the side or top. It helps with the shorter sticks on the flashback a lot.....but I grew up playing the CV this way so I'm very used to it.

Suprisingly I actually got incredibly far in Oils Well which was the big test for me. Had a hard time with Smurf Rescue but played well in Venture and Zaxxon. I dearly wish Lady Bug was on this console. Heist is unplayable for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for what it's worth, here's how I use the CV controllers:

- I hold the controller in my left hand with my thumb over the left button and my middle finger over the right button.

- Then I wrap my right hand around both the controller and my left hand and use my thumb to manipulate the directional controls.

I'm a little different:

- I hold the controller in my left hand with my left thumb over the left button and my left index finger over the right button.

- I then place my right thumb at about 7:00, my right index finger at 12:00, the three remaining fingers support the controller further starting at the top/side and wrap to the bottom. The base of my thumb actually covers the "3" and some of the "6" keys on the keypad.

Edited by NIAD

Wow! I hold it exactly the same way!!!

I'm a little different:

- I hold the controller in my left hand with my left thumb over the left button and my left index finger over the right button.

- I then place my right thumb at about 7:00, my right index finger at 12:00, the three remaining fingers support the controller further starting at the top/side and wrap to the bottom. The base of my thumb actually covers the "3" and some of the "6" keys on the keypad.