IGNORED

Hz related vertical scroll problem... but why?

jrecee

*I'm in US

I used to have an atari st. I don't recall if it was a 1040stfm or 1040ste, but I have kept the games for all these years.

I recently purchased an STe. NTSC model from what I can tell (says US on bottom). I popped in various old games and most work just fine, techno cop... pacmania... etc. It is hooked up to a TV using composite cables into the monitor port. I also tried hooking it up using the rf out, but problem persists: Certain games (F19, Giana Sisters) that absolutely worked on my old system are doing the rapid vertical scroll thing that I have discovered is typically related to 50/60hz. Giana sisters has two .prgs on the disk. One is called Giana 50 and the other Giana 60. Both have the problem.

If this was happening with every disk I'd figure I got a modified system or Pal system or something. Or if these were disks I'd just purchased I'd assume that they are the problem. But since I have played these games on a US atari (also hooked up to a tv) I'm confused as to why this would be happening.

Are you using the same TV that you used with your old ST? Some games force the machine into 50Hz.

You could try running a compact menu that toggles the Hz, or one of those small toggle Hz programs to double-check that the refresh rate really is the problem.

If you boot without a disk (or with a blank disk), do you see the desktop correctly in 60Hz?

• 4 weeks later...

It seems to be a tv related problem. I'm not sure what the specific issue is exactly, or how to know what sort of tv would eliminate it.

I hooked the ST up to the tv we used to use. I do not get the scrolling problem. Unfortunately this TV is in bad shape, and any composite signal sent into it (from nes, atari 400, etc.) looks terrible so I can't use it.

I tried hooking it up to a newer flat panel through composite cables and had similar problems to the hitachi tv I was using originally. Rapid scrolling and sputtering image.

Wish I knew what the difference between that nice hitatchi and the old magnavox is.... But I suppose I've ruled out a problem with the comnputer itself.