IGNORED

Game recommendations

SpiceWare

5 showing what many will have nostalgia for:

Centipede, Food Fight, Joust, Robotron: 2084, Xevious

5 showcasing system's abilities:

Alien Brigade, BasketBrawl, Commando, Midnight Mutants, Ninja Golf.

5 falling somewhere between the above two categories:

Crossbow, Desert Falcon, Ikari Warriors, Impossible Mission, Winter Games.

5 showing what many will have nostalgia for:

Centipede, Food Fight, Joust, Robotron: 2084, Xevious

5 showcasing system's abilities:

Alien Brigade, BasketBrawl, Commando, Midnight Mutants, Ninja Golf.

5 falling somewhere between the above two categories:

Crossbow, Desert Falcon, Ikari Warriors, Impossible Mission, Winter Games.

Ballblazer because the 7800 version blows away the NES version. The music rocks too.

• Like 1

Ballblazer because the 7800 version blows away the NES version. The music rocks too.

Ballblazer is a great choice too. Personally, I would throw it more into my "falls between the above two categories" selection.

Commando as a "showcasing" title also blows away the flickering, sprite disappearing mess that is the NES version. ;)

• Like 1

Ballblazer is a great choice too. Personally, I would throw it more into my "falls between the above two categories" selection.

Commando as a "showcasing" title also blows away the flickering, sprite disappearing mess that is the NES version. ;)

I consider 7800 Xevious better than the NES version. Hell, every game that appears on both the 7800 and the NES is better on the 7800. Just not in terms of the audio, with the exceptions of Ballblazer and Commando.

• Like 1

Hell, every game that appears on both the 7800 and the NES is better on the 7800. Just not in terms of the audio...

I would agree with you, although the argument could be made:

NES Namco Ms. Pac-Man < 7800 Ms. Pac-Man < NES Tengen Ms. Pac-Man

Bob's Pac-Man Collection is the superior of them all, but keeping strictly to original release titles, despite the above possible argument, I would still leave the 7800 port as the best due to having a 'scrolling' element of the NES Tengen port which significantly changes the gameplay - or at least the gameplay strategy, due to being unable to see the entire maze, especially concerning the location of ghosts not present on the current viewable sections of the maze.

• Like 1

I would agree with you, although the argument could be made:

NES Namco Ms. Pac-Man < 7800 Ms. Pac-Man < NES Tengen Ms. Pac-Man

Bob's Pac-Man Collection is the superior of them all, but keeping strictly to original release titles, despite the above possible argument, I would still leave the 7800 port as the best due to having a 'scrolling' element of the NES Tengen port which significantly changes the gameplay - or at least the gameplay strategy, due to being unable to see the entire maze, especially concerning the location of ghosts not present on the current viewable sections of the maze.

Ah, you had to bring up Tengen for an Atari vs. Atari cage match event. :)

I haven't played Tengen Ms. Pac-Man for NES but I'm not really enjoying their Genesis port that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Funny how that was one of the best selling games on the Genesis...

...I'm not really enjoying their Genesis port that I bought a couple of weeks ago...

Bought it BITD. It was nice to see it on the Genesis, but same issue with the scrolling, and I actually don't like the cosmetic make-over of the sprites either. One of the few games that requires you to hold the 'mode' button on the 6 button controller for it to function properly during power-on.

Hats off to the Genesis for their Frogger and Gauntlet (IV/4) ports - excellently done. On the other hand, don't get me started on the slight upgrade to SMS Moonwalker. Genesis should have had an Arcade port - and done right. Anything System 16x/18 Arcade hardware should have been ported proper.

• Like 1

If possible, instead of the piece regarding other consoles...

"Other consoles offered backward compatibility via a plug-in model, like the Expansion Module #1 for the ColecoVision and System Changer for the Intellivision – surprisingly both of which added support for Atari 2600 software."

...perhaps this could be stated:

"It features the MARIA graphics chip with a 256-color palette and allowance for a greater number of sprites than previous and some contemporary consoles without flickering. POKEY sound is available via cartridge chip add-in."

Specifying MARIA and POKEY is a bit too technical for this type of event. For the other systems I mention things like the "first computer to sell 1 million units".

Didn't the 5200 already have a 256 color palette?

Something about the sprites being better than other systems of the time would be appropriate. Now sure how to best phrase that.

• Like 1

Specifying MARIA and POKEY is a bit too technical for this type of event. For the other systems I mention things like the "first computer to sell 1 million units".

Didn't the 5200 already have a 256 color palette?

Something about the sprites being better than other systems of the time would be appropriate. Now sure how to best phrase that.

Correct, the 5200 has a 256 color palette too. The reference to previous and some contemporary consoles was regarding the sprite capabilities.

How about this?

"The ProSystem allows for a greater number of sprites on-screen without flickering compared to its rivals and includes high resolution modes. 3.77 million consoles were sold in the U.S. along with additional sales worldwide."