IGNORED

Game recommendations

SpiceWare

Turbo with the steering wheel module is something I always connect with the nostalgia factor for that system…not my favorite CV game by far, but one of the ones that really set that system apart from the competition at the time. That, and Donkey Kong…at the time, the CV version of DK was the closest thing you could get to the arcade. Good stuff!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be bringing:

• Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Frogger
  • Lady Bug
  • Popeye
  • Venture
  • Zaxxon

I have the steering wheel, but the insides are rusted so the batteries don't make a good connection. Haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. The other games mentioned I don't have.

A multi-cart such as those sold by AtariMax would always be the ideal choice as they will allow for a very large selection of games to be choosen from including Homebrews, but I'm assuming you do not have one and therefore the suggestions that have been made previously should showoff the system well enough. If you have Smurf Rescue, that would be another good one to bring seeing as it was one of the original releases.

A multi-cart such as those sold by AtariMax would always be the ideal choice as they will allow for a very large selection of games to be choosen from including Homebrews, but I'm assuming you do not have one and therefore the suggestions that have been made previously should showoff the system well enough. If you have Smurf Rescue, that would be another good one to bring seeing as it was one of the original releases.

These tables are generally unsupervised during the event. I personally would not be very comfortable leaving an expensive multicart sitting on a table like this, as they are too easy to steal. Common games aren't as big of a deal, though.

..Al

All of those mentioned are great games, but some will require explanations to those who did not experience the games of that era. Some that will be easy to pick up with little to no explanation are Gorf, Time Pilot, Turbo and Venture. Minimal explanation would be Smurfs, Zaxxon, Popeye, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Frogger and Q*bert. A bit more explanation that you really want to give would include Mouse Trap, Lady Bug, Tapper, BurgerTime and Pepper II.

Subjective I know, but a fairly good guideline depending on how involved you want to be in answering questions regarding gameplay.

Troy

I have one, but as Al mentioned the console table is unsupervised.

This is what I've come up with:

Released in 1982, the ColecoVision was known for its near arcade quality games.

The front of the ColecoVision features an Expansion Module Interface. Plug in modules allowed the ColecoVision to play Atari 2600 games,as well as become a full fledged Adam computer.

In 2012, Opcode Games released the Super Game Module for the ColecoVisions 30th anniversary. It expands the ColecoVisions RAM from 1KB to 32KB and adds another audio chip for enhance sound generation. A number of homebrew games have been released that take advantage of the Super Game Module.

Was the ColecoVision the first console to feature a dedicated expansion port? Any other feedback?

Edited by SpiceWare

Did some minor rewording this morning:

Released in 1982, the ColecoVision was known for its near arcade quality games.

Located on the front of the unit is a unique feature of the ColecoVision, the Expansion Module Interface. The use of plug in modules allowed the ColecoVision to play Atari 2600 games, or even become a full-fledged Adam home computer.

In 2012, Opcode Games released the Super Game Module for the ColecoVision’s 30th anniversary. It expands the ColecoVision’s RAM from 1KB to 32KB and adds another audio chip for enhance sound generation. A number of homebrew games have been released to take advantage of the Super Game Module.

• 7 years later...

it think "cabbage patch kids"  is will representative of the colecovision.

If i would do a selection , i would choose   Cosmic Avenger,  Zaxxon, Turbo , Donkey Kong, Smurf  and Cabbage patch Kids.      That's the first titles that come to my mind if i think Colecovision.

Do you remember which games you wound up exhibiting at that Expo eight years ago? I think the best two games for the console are Frenzy and Pepper II, as they're both better than their arcade originals, for various reasons. In the former, for instance, the ARM (Automated Robot Maker) can be disabled with a blast, whereas it can't be shut down at all in the coin-op.

Now, if you ever get around to writing a ColecoVersion of Medieval Mayhem... :D