IGNORED

ME, MYSELF AND IRENE and Colecovision !

scalpel

We should start a thread highlighting all the times that something ColecoVision appears in a movie or TV show. Off the top of my head, I can recall:

1) Family Guy - Peter pulls a CV out of his belly button. ColecoNut had that one as his AtariAge avatar.

2) Close Encounters - Drew Barrymore is playing a videogame (think a CV, not sure) with a Roller Controller.

and think there were some other shows mentioned on AA over the years where a CV made a cameo.

If I remember correctly, in a certain episode of The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon mentions "Smurf for ColecoVision" among the choices of video games to play to his friends. :)

Correct he does mention it as colecovision smurf but if you look closely it definitely is not a colecovision box. It looked like a coleco intellivision version from the side.

Correct he does mention it as colecovision smurf but if you look closely it definitely is not a colecovision box. It looked like a coleco intellivision version from the side.

The Intellivision version??? Well then, he must have been very lucky to acquire it from CollectorVision seeing as Peyo put a halt to that release and the game morphed into Sydney Hunter. ;-)

The Intellivision version??? Well then, he must have been very lucky to acquire it from CollectorVision seeing as Peyo put a halt to that release and the game morphed into Sydney Hunter. ;-)

Just watched and paused the show with the game and compared the box to online boxes. It was the Atari 2600 version. I thought it was just some other game but when you watch closely before he mentions the game you see that it is a smurf game. I wonder if he said the line wrong or if the prop guy gave them the wrong box not knowing the difference.

• Like 1

2) Close Encounters - Drew Barrymore is playing a videogame (think a CV, not sure) with a Roller Controller.

Will have to scan through Close Encounters sometime to see what system they're supposed to be "playing". Haha you know how often shows will depict a screenshot or sounds from one game, with a totally unrelated system or controller nearby.

-edit-

Removed inaccurate comments about Drew being in Close Encounters and spying a game system that couldn't have existed at the time of that movies release! Memory banks fading fast! :rolling:

My bad, it was E.T. and not Close Encounters... jeez, I was way off especially considering the year C.E. was released. Thanks very much ValkerieSilk for posting that pic as I knew she was playing with a Roller Controller, but couldn't remember if it was really a CV system and game that she was playing... now we know it was indeed Slither.

• Like 2

Hm, the E.T. movie opened on June 11, 1982. The ColecoVision according to Wikipedia at least was made available in stores in August 1982. When was the system in its final form revealed to the world? It sure looks like a very advanced form of product placement if Coleco got their brand new video games console into a high budget movie months before it was available to buy.

Supposedly Drew Barrymore plays on a ColecoVision, or perhaps it is a 2600 in the 1984 movie Firestarter too. If she was "exposed" twice before the age of 10 to playing ColecoVision, I wonder if it stuck and she is a closet retro gamer with a decent collection still today? That would be way cool.

Edited by carlsson

Supposedly Drew Barrymore plays on a ColecoVision, or perhaps it is a 2600 in the 1984 movie Firestarter too. If she was "exposed" twice before the age of 10 to playing ColecoVision, I wonder if it stuck and she is a closet retro gamer with a decent collection still today? That would be way cool.

According to the biography Father of the Man, Spielberg and Barrymore were quite close for many years after ET and one of the gifts he bestowed upon her was a Ms Pac-Man arcade machine:

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Spielberg-Incredible-Tumultuous-Record-Breaking/dp/0751512907

Also, in the rom-com Going the Distance, she and the male lead bonded over a Centipede arcade machine and it turned out that all the untouchable high scores belonged to her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_the_Distance_%282010_film%29

Hm, the E.T. movie opened on June 11, 1982. The ColecoVision according to Wikipedia at least was made available in stores in August 1982. When was the system in its final form revealed to the world? It sure looks like a very advanced form of product placement if Coleco got their brand new video games console into a high budget movie months before it was available to buy.

Weird, but a least in Firestarter (1984) it is a Colecovision!!! http://thedrewseum.tumblr.com/post/84938755352/screencap-from-firestarter-1984-follow-the

tumblr_n55viy4XSV1r9nc53o1_1280.jpg

E.T. was filmed in the second half of 1981 and released in the summer of 1982, so this pic of Drew playing Slither on the CV would have to have come from the movie Firestarter... especially since the Roller Controller wasn't released until later in 1983.

I would venture a guess that there was no deal between Coleco and the movie studio to get the CV scene, probably just a case of the house that was used in the movie already having one in there and the director/writers working it into the scene.

Drew Barrymore wasn't in Close Encounters, but she was in Poltergeist where an Atari 2600 sat atop the console television. :lol:

Will have to scan through Close Encounters sometime to see what system they're supposed to be "playing". Haha… you know how often shows will depict a screenshot or sounds from one game, with a totally unrelated system or controller nearby.

Could be an Atari 5200 also, since you spied a roller controller.

Heather O'Rourke was the little girl in Poltergeist, not Drew Berrymore. Also since Close Encounters was 1977 the ColecoVision didn't exist yet.

• Like 1

Ok, so to sum up:

1. Close Encounters (1977) - is there any video game scene at all in that movie, VCS or otherwise? The one year old Drew Barrymore at least is not part of it.

2. E.T. (1982) - OK on Drew Barrymore, not so sure about ColecoVision. However there clearly is a 2600 in the movie:

http://www.ataritimes.com/index.php?ArticleIDX=70

http://www.tepg.se/e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-1982/

3. Poltergeist (1982) - Another 2600 movie, albeit no Barrymore.

http://www.tepg.se/poltergeist-1982/

4. Firestarter (1984) - Definitely both Barrymore and ColecoVision.

Actually The Electronic Playground (tepg.se) above has three movies listed with ColecoVision content: Billions for Boris, Firestarter and Cloak & Dagger, all from 1984. It might not be entirely complete, but it looks to have put a lot of effort into the database.

• Like 2