IGNORED

The Ultimate Intellivision Flashback

Byte Knight

I am not too familiar with EmulationStation, but the wiki says that you should normally be able to exit out of your game through whatever means the emulator has setup. If not then you can press Select+Start buttons to exit your emulator.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/EmulationStation

exit.jpg

Which may or may not work for Inty controllers since pressing multiple keypads may or may not be read correctly due to the matrix and the adapter used, but other controllers should not have this issue.

If you want to wire a button (or buttons) to the GPIO, then you'd need a script that runs during boot that runs in the background to monitor the IOs. The IOs can be mapped to a keyboard press event, so if you can map the keyboard press within the emulator for specific functions, then this will work, too.

I have a Python script that I have running in the background and it is monitoring three IOs and I use them for quit, reset, and pause for JZINTV since my controller adapter doesn't support these functions like the UPCI does.

You can even add a button to an IO that when activated it will shutdown the Pi, so you aren't arbitrarily cutting off the power. If you are interested in this shutdown function, please let me know and I can send in an updated script that has this added in to it.

You need to install the Python GPIO support and the Python uinput support into the Pi, then the script will run.

You also need to get the script to run during boot, of which I forget what method I used for that. There are quite a few different methods for this out there, but I can look into what method I used for my Pi.

You have to rename this file into whatever name you want, and change the extension from TXT into py

UCPbuttons.txt

reset & exit is easy to set up for the intv controller if thats what you are using. If you are using auto configs, in the config /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/MicrochipTechnologyInc.Ultimate2.cfg you would set reset as button "4" and exit as "5" and hotkey as "nul". On the intv controller pressing buttons 4&clear is button "3". 5&0 is button "4". And 6&enter is button "5" they are used in the inty emu as pause,reset and exit so might as well keep that configuration. I use all original controls so mine are different.

For my Sears RetroPie set, I have a mausberry board on wired into my power switch, so I get a clean shutdown.

I'd like to know more about wiring the reset button to an input connected on to the GPIO as well. I'd like to use it for a reset in all emulators. I tried posting on the RetroPie forum, but it went unaswered.

Any thoughts on how this can be done? I've wired IPAC/JPAC boards from Ultimarc for my arcade cabinets, which is pretty simple, but setting this up and getting it to work with Linux programming seems to present the problem.

I have no clue how.

are you wanting to set up the ipac to use in an arcade with the pi? If so you can set the ipac up to whatever keys you want them to be then set the config files for all the emulators to use the same keys for all the controls. Of course make the exit button in the ipac to be the escape key. If you want to hook it up to an arcade monitor then i can give you info on that. If it is just needing to know how to do the configs on the pi i can go into thorough detail in a pm if you like.

reset & exit is easy to set up for the intv controller if thats what you are using. If you are using auto configs, in the config /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads/MicrochipTechnologyInc.Ultimate2.cfg you would set reset as button "4" and exit as "5" and hotkey as "nul". On the intv controller pressing buttons 4&clear is button "3". 5&0 is button "4". And 6&enter is button "5" they are used in the inty emu as pause,reset and exit so might as well keep that configuration. I use all original controls so mine are different.

The Raphnet adapter has a button for every keypad, but it doesn't have the three extra buttons that can be assigned these tasks like the UPCI, but more importantly it is not properly handling multiple keypad presses, so this is not possible for me.

Edited by fdr4prez

Raphnet provides the sourcecode to their firmware, so you can add the extra buttons yourself. There's no standard way to add support of multiple button presses. Each combo has to be added individually to the firmware program, so you can add support for 1-9 as well.

Edit:

That select-start to exit is a default Retropie setting for the Retroarch emulators. Even if you were to use a modern gamepad with jzIntv that combo would be a problem. Jzintv key mappings (hackfile) doesn't support combos of controller buttons. This is why upci and other usb adapters have to add extra buttons to firmware to work-around the jzintv limitation.

Edited by mr_me

are you wanting to set up the ipac to use in an arcade with the pi? If so you can set the ipac up to whatever keys you want them to be then set the config files for all the emulators to use the same keys for all the controls. Of course make the exit button in the ipac to be the escape key. If you want to hook it up to an arcade monitor then i can give you info on that. If it is just needing to know how to do the configs on the pi i can go into thorough detail in a pm if you like.

i meant to say to set up the ipac in windows or whatever you use before putting it on linux

Raphnet provides the sourcecode to their firmware, so you can add the extra buttons yourself. There's no standard way to add support of multiple button presses. Each combo has to be added individually to the firmware program, so you can add support for 1-9 as well.

Edit:

That select-start to exit is a default Retropie setting for the Retroarch emulators. Even if you were to use a modern gamepad with jzIntv that combo would be a problem. Jzintv key mappings (hackfile) doesn't support combos of controller buttons. This is why upci and other usb adapters have to add buttons to firmware to support jzintv button combos.

Yes, I know that the Raphnet's sourcecode for the firmware is provided, but updating it is something that I've never done before, so I don't know if this is something that I can do myself, and their site makes it sound like you need update the microcontroller via the ISP, which is a connector that isn't even soldered on the board.

I've downloaded the Raphnet firmware files. They are a collection of a bunch of C files.

And the adapter has no connector for the ISP/AVR programming tool, and I'd have to purchase this tool, too.

I've previously emailed Raphnet about doing this and send him my existing adapter, or I'd simply buy a new adapter with the updated firmware (cheaper than the programming tool) and they never replied.

Overall it is easier for me to add a few buttons into the GPIO and not mess with the Raphnet firmware.

I see its a pain to flash the raphnet adapter. I did find a very inexpensive third party programmer tool. http://m.ebay.ca/itm/USBasp-USB-ISP-Programmer-Adapter-for-ATMEL-AVR-S51-WIN7-VISTA-AT89S51-AT89S52-/371514545920?nav=SEARCH

Yes, that is an inexpensive programmer, but updating the code is still beyond me. I've not touched C programming in over 20 years, and the classes I took weren't as advanced as this.

So I can look through the code and get flashbacks to my college days, but that's about it.

I am not too familiar with EmulationStation, but the wiki says that you should normally be able to exit out of your game through whatever means the emulator has setup. If not then you can press Select+Start buttons to exit your emulator.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/EmulationStation

attachicon.gifexit.jpg

Which may or may not work for Inty controllers since pressing multiple keypads may or may not be read correctly due to the matrix and the adapter used, but other controllers should not have this issue.

If you want to wire a button (or buttons) to the GPIO, then you'd need a script that runs during boot that runs in the background to monitor the IOs. The IOs can be mapped to a keyboard press event, so if you can map the keyboard press within the emulator for specific functions, then this will work, too.

I have a Python script that I have running in the background and it is monitoring three IOs and I use them for quit, reset, and pause for JZINTV since my controller adapter doesn't support these functions like the UPCI does.

You can even add a button to an IO that when activated it will shutdown the Pi, so you aren't arbitrarily cutting off the power. If you are interested in this shutdown function, please let me know and I can send in an updated script that has this added in to it.

You need to install the Python GPIO support and the Python uinput support into the Pi, then the script will run.

You also need to get the script to run during boot, of which I forget what method I used for that. There are quite a few different methods for this out there, but I can look into what method I used for my Pi.

You have to rename this file into whatever name you want, and change the extension from TXT into py

attachicon.gifUCPbuttons.txt

Yes, what I want to do is wire a small switch to the PI that I can configure in each emulator to act as a reset button. That little button can then be mounted under my 'reset' button on my Sears Inty and it will look factory and act factory. Pressing the button will then reset any emulator I am using, rather than pressing buttons on hand controllers. Hopefully in doing so, not loosing that ability either.

Make sense? I'm good with everything else. All functions work with the handsets, I have everything configured really good except this one thing.

Yes, what I want to do is wire a small switch to the PI that I can configure in each emulator to act as a reset button. That little button can then be mounted under my 'reset' button on my Sears Inty and it will look factory and act factory. Pressing the button will then reset any emulator I am using, rather than pressing buttons on hand controllers. Hopefully in doing so, not loosing that ability either.

Make sense? I'm good with everything else. All functions work with the handsets, I have everything configured really good except this one thing.

Yup, my code will allow you to setup one IO to be a keyboard button press. You can remove the references in my code for the other two IOs. Or let me know if you need help with that.

I am only familiar with JZINTV, and you use its keyboard hackfile to setup this keyboard button to become reset for the emulator.

I have zero experience with any other emulator, so I don't know how they are configured or if this will be possible. But I'd imagine that this is doable.

Others here may be able to help you with other emulators.

You can map the IO to be most standard keyboard buttons:

CHAR_MAP =

"a": KEY_A

"b": KEY_B

"c": KEY_C

"d": KEY_D

"e": KEY_E

"f": KEY_F

"g": KEY_G

"h": KEY_H

"i": KEY_I

"j": KEY_J

"k": KEY_K

"l": KEY_L

"m": KEY_M

"n": KEY_N

"o": KEY_O

"p": KEY_P

"q": KEY_Q

"r": KEY_R

"s": KEY_S

"t": KEY_T

"u": KEY_U

"v": KEY_V

"w": KEY_W

"x": KEY_X

"y": KEY_Y

"z": KEY_Z

"1": KEY_1

"2": KEY_2

"3": KEY_3

"4": KEY_4

"5": KEY_5

"6": KEY_6

"7": KEY_7

"8": KEY_8

"9": KEY_9

"0": KEY_0

"\t": KEY_TAB

"\n": KEY_ENTER

" ": KEY_SPACE

".": KEY_DOT

",": KEY_COMMA

"/": KEY_SLASH

"\": KEY_BACKSLASH

Other keyboard buttons are not supported with Python's uinput method, such as the function keys: F1-F12

So hopefully your other emulators can use one of these supported keyboard buttons to become your reset emulator function.

I am looking into a different Python script that supports the F-function keys, but it's not working, yet.

@fdr4prz - I'd like to try your code, if you wouldn't mind PM'ing it... and how it gets loaded into the boot code of the PI. I'm no programmer, but I've learned how to use Linux outside of the Emulationstaion shell, so I know many of the directories and file locations.

I'll start looking into the switch type, mounting it and wiring it into the PI.

Thanks again.

JR

@fdr4prz - I'd like to try your code, if you wouldn't mind PM'ing it... and how it gets loaded into the boot code of the PI. I'm no programmer, but I've learned how to use Linux outside of the Emulationstaion shell, so I know many of the directories and file locations.

I'll start looking into the switch type, mounting it and wiring it into the PI.

Thanks again.

JR

PM sent

Cool - now put one in an Intellivision cart! ;)

you must be mad!! That is one daunting task to do with the added connectors i attached to the pi. Dont get me wrong, i could do it but its just a lot of work. And its not really all in the cart once i have to add the upci to play the thing.

The pi zero is weaker than the pi 2 but more powerful than the pi 1 b+. To play super nintendo on the pi 1 b+ i have to overclock it from 700mhz to 1000mhz to get rid of slowdown. I can play it at 700mhz on the pi zero. It cannot play the wonderswan or the neogeo pocket handheld systems because the audio is too slow. The nec supergrafx audiois a little slow but not as bad as the other two. For some odd reason i couldnt get the virtual boy emulator to run on it. I tried overclocking it to 800mhz but no change. I didnt want to go any higher so i just removed those emulators. This one was for a buddy of mine. Im getting a zero i have on hold when i get back home on tuesday. I will try pushing it further to see if i can hit 1000mhz and if it makes a difference.

Anyone use one of these as a joystick in an Ultimate Flashback set up via USB? Or even a Retro Pi Box?

http://shop.xgaming.com/products/x-arcade-dual-joystick-usb-included

not me. but i made this one. This has ultimarc joysticks that can switch between 4-way and 8-way by pulling up on the joystick and twisting it.

post-30773-0-52796700-1465286984_thumb.jpg

post-30773-0-42741300-1465287072_thumb.jpg

post-30773-0-09993700-1465287121_thumb.jpg

Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 3

My son is looking for one. I think it would work with Raspberry Pi....I know we aren't going to build one. LOL

not me. but i made this one. This has ultimarc joysticks that can switch between 4-way and 8-way by pulling up on the joystick and twisting it.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg
attachicon.gifimage.jpg
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Anyone use one of these as a joystick in an Ultimate Flashback set up via USB? Or even a Retro Pi Box?

http://shop.xgaming.com/products/x-arcade-dual-joystick-usb-included

I had one of those. It will work fine on the Raspberry PI. The Ultimate Flashback is a Raspberry using RetroPie, and I thought, an Ultmate Interface. Both interfaces should coexist fine.

• 4 weeks later...

for anyone interested in earning achievement points playing games in nes, super nes, gameboy, gameboy color and genesis/megadrive on the raspberry pi you just have to follow these simple instructions. instead of putting the 4 lines of info in the main retroarch folder you want to put it into the 5 individual systems retroarch files and make sure you have the correct emulators selected.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/RetroAchievements

• 4 weeks later...