IGNORED

Craigslist find for South Florida

jetset

Not mine, but in case anyone is interested. Looks like a heavy sixer but the kicker is the kid vid unit with the 4 games. I asked if he'd split it up and he did not want to, but maybe he'd budge on the price.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/tag/4747711951.html

I'd snag it but my wife'd have my guts for garters.

You need a secret atari cash stash man :)
  • Like 1

Just do the poor mans rainy day fund...

1 - Put all pocket change in secret jar.

If your wife monitors the pocket change also (God help you if she does, lol) just pick one coin to put in a separate secret jar. I would go for quarters as they yield the most bang for the buck ;)

2 - Once the jar is full purchase something you can flip.

The trick with flipping is making sure it is something you have no emotional attachment to. Video Games can be tough because you may pay a little more for something than it's worth to flip it. I have had great luck with Childrens toys, some people just give them to me and I literally take a pic and pop them on a facebook garage sale site then BAM! guilt free Atari money :)

3 - Don't tell your Wife

Lying is wrong but just not mentioning things is fine. You are going to be doing a little bit of work for this money and with out the reward of guilt free Atari games you would probably rather spend the time watching TV or hanging with the family. Womens brains do not understand this, they feel any money you make should just be "family" money but if you are finding a creative way to just make a little side cash to be a part of a hobby then that is your money. You wouldn't be doing it if not for the reward of Atari games. Besides, most Atari purchases you will not lose any money on and can be resold if in dire straights, think of it as a holding tank for funds :)

4 - ??????

Skies the limit, here is an interesting story of a kid that turned a phone into a Porsche

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296572/Boy-17-turns-mobile-Porsche-series-online-trades-years.html

Edited by Crazy Climber
  • Like 2

Not mine, but in case anyone is interested. Looks like a heavy sixer but the kicker is the kid vid unit with the 4 games. I asked if he'd split it up and he did not want to, but maybe he'd budge on the price.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/tag/4747711951.html

I'd snag it but my wife'd have my guts for garters.

Hey jetset. Just wanna thank you for the hint. I ended up buying the lot. Cheers!

Hey jetset. Just wanna thank you for the hint. I ended up buying the lot. Cheers!

Awesome! I knew it was a great deal. The Kid Vid and the 4 games alone is worth what he was asking, plus it's a heavy sixer or at least looks to be. Curious if any of the 37 other games are worth anything. I'm just actually encouraged seeing such a set in s Fla. CL never has anything decent down here, the thrifts never have anything either.

Anyways glad you scored it!

Edited by jetset

Awesome! I knew it was a great deal. The Kid Vid and the 4 games alone is worth what he was asking, plus it's a heavy sixer or at least looks to be. Curious if any of the 37 other games are worth anything. I'm just actually encouraged seeing such a set in s Fla. CL never has anything decent down here, the thrifts never have anything either.

Anyways glad you scored it!

That's what I thought. Nice deal for the Kid Vid itself. As for the console with games, I can always resell them in Brazil to pay for my expenses on shipping and taxes. So it ends up like the common lot helping with my Kid Vid cost. Keep in mind, despite the US$ 90 Fedex cost to ship it all through US to my freight forwarder, I will spend a ton more to ship this to my country, plus taxes. It will triple the cost, but then again - I have a way to sell the spare.

• Like 1

Average in what way?

Average in that I see similar or better deals all over the Nashville (and Memphis) Craigslist, and I don't feel they're worth re-posting on a national/international forum like AtariAge. The Craigslist offerings seem to take care of themselves, locally. Presumably, nationwide.

Average in that he's just trolling me. Sad really.

Sad? LOL! What's sad is that the "jetset" character is still sore over an argument we had *years* ago where an informed Wells Fargo customer (me) proved an ill-informed (or uninformed) Wells Fargo employee ("jetset") absolutely wrong, by posting actual Wells Fargo correspondence to that effect.

Average in that I see similar or better deals all over the Nashville (and Memphis) Craigslist, and I don't feel they're worth re-posting on a national/international forum like AtariAge. The Craigslist offerings seem to take care of themselves, locally. Presumably, nationwide.

If you see better deals than that on a regular basis you should be a rich man I assume as that link had a great deal to be had and\or decent profit to be made from re-selling it all. If I saw deals like that all the time I would be silly not to buy them all and make a tidy sum of cash.

• Like 1

Post deleted by author. Link no longer working.

Probably because it's been sold (see above). I'm hoping Tom gets it and lets us know how it turns out (condition, etc). It was a heavy sixer unit with a few pairs of controllers, a boxed set of wireless 2600 controllers, a CIB Kid Vid unit with four games for the KV, and 37 loose games.

Edited by jetset

If you see better deals than that on a regular basis you should be a rich man I assume as that link had a great deal to be had and\or decent profit to be made from re-selling it all. If I saw deals like that all the time I would be silly not to buy them all and make a tidy sum of cash.

Well, then that begs the question - OBVIOUSLY - as to why the original poster didn't buy it - and resell it - as it does the question that you've asked me, then, does it not? Would not the same circumstances apply, if this were such a screaming deal?

I suppose, then, that the definition of a great deal, then, is a matter of opinion, then, is it not? I've bought Atari 2600 bulk-deals from Ebay, Goodwill, etc for like $25 to $50 and then sold the cartridges alone for upwards of $150 - but it took a bit of work to clean them, test them, re-glue a few labels, and then market them. To answer your question, I simply don't have the time.

Look, I expressed an opinion (as anyone is free to do here) and you disagree. That's fine, and I don't particularly care, quite simply because there's no reason for me to care whether you agree with my opinion, nor vice versa. If there is, I'm all ears, and I expect some top-shelf rationale. I pay $20-$50 for 2600 lots from time-to-time, and when I do have the time, usually end up keeping part of it for myself with a profit. But the problem is that in order to resell (I DO NOT SELL DEFECTIVE/UNTESTED SHIT) it takes a modicum of time to test/clean/etc. everything. THAT'S why I don't do it more. I'm not willing to quit my day job and become a 2600 reseller. There are reasonably-few deals, and the assertion that "I'd become rich" is ridiculous. You just don't like my opinion, and I don't particularly care that you don't. Perhaps an exercise in being tolerant of the opinions of others should be in order for you. (1) I stated an opinion on the deal. (2) You asked why. (3) I answered. (4) You seem to suggest that I should become an Atari 2600 dealer on account of it. LOL! I haven't the time! Probably for similar reasons that the original poster didn't, so perhaps you should foist the same shit upon them. I love $25 to $50 Atari 2600 deals. That's where I make the best deals. Don't like it? I don't give a shit, don't know why I should think otherwise, and don't care if you disagree. Should I question your every opinion on this site? It's just an opinion. Take care!

After the original post above was put up, I also contacted the Craigslist seller. The reason he didn't sell right away to the first of us who contacted him was that he was resistent to selling to an out-of-towner. I happen to live in South Florida...about 45 minutes away from him...and I was tempted to drive over to him and buy it, so he would have given me first shot at it. But, the truth is, while that Kid Vid set can probably be "flipped" on eBay for a profit, I really don't want to be buying MORE games that I don't have time to sell, beyond all the extras I already have...and I already own the full Kid Vid set with the games that came with it. Better to let one of my fellow AA members buy it if he/she needs the set in his/her collection than snatch it and then resell, I figured.

Enjoy, Tom!

3 - Don't tell your Wife

Lying is wrong but just not mentioning things is fine. You are going to be doing a little bit of work for this money and with out the reward of guilt free Atari games you would probably rather spend the time watching TV or hanging with the family. Womens brains do not understand this, they feel any money you make should just be "family" money but if you are finding a creative way to just make a little side cash to be a part of a hobby then that is your money. You wouldn't be doing it if not for the reward of Atari games. Besides, most Atari purchases you will not lose any money on and can be resold if in dire straights, think of it as a holding tank

Wow, I completely disagree with this. I tell my wife everything. For example, I told her to get a second job so I can have more money to buy games. Sure, it's difficult with her gone so much but I spend that time playing those games. Those boxed homebrews aren't going to buy themselves.

• Like 2

Well, then that begs the question - OBVIOUSLY - as to why the original poster didn't buy it - and resell it - as it does the question that you've asked me, then, does it not? Would not the same circumstances apply, if this were such a screaming deal?

I suppose, then, that the definition of a great deal, then, is a matter of opinion, then, is it not? I've bought Atari 2600 bulk-deals from Ebay, Goodwill, etc for like $25 to $50 and then sold the cartridges alone for upwards of $150 - but it took a bit of work to clean them, test them, re-glue a few labels, and then market them. To answer your question, I simply don't have the time.

Look, I expressed an opinion (as anyone is free to do here) and you disagree. That's fine, and I don't particularly care, quite simply because there's no reason for me to care whether you agree with my opinion, nor vice versa. If there is, I'm all ears, and I expect some top-shelf rationale. I pay $20-$50 for 2600 lots from time-to-time, and when I do have the time, usually end up keeping part of it for myself with a profit. But the problem is that in order to resell (I DO NOT SELL DEFECTIVE/UNTESTED SHIT) it takes a modicum of time to test/clean/etc. everything. THAT'S why I don't do it more. I'm not willing to quit my day job and become a 2600 reseller. There are reasonably-few deals, and the assertion that "I'd become rich" is ridiculous. You just don't like my opinion, and I don't particularly care that you don't. Perhaps an exercise in being tolerant of the opinions of others should be in order for you. (1) I stated an opinion on the deal. (2) You asked why. (3) I answered. (4) You seem to suggest that I should become an Atari 2600 dealer on account of it. LOL! I haven't the time! Probably for similar reasons that the original poster didn't, so perhaps you should foist the same shit upon them. I love $25 to $50 Atari 2600 deals. That's where I make the best deals. Don't like it? I don't give a shit, don't know why I should think otherwise, and don't care if you disagree. Should I question your every opinion on this site? It's just an opinion. Take care!

But you do have the time to write walls of text I see. I'm glad you don't give a shit but be careful as I'm told if you don't shit you die.

• Like 1