IGNORED

Mac/65: How do I Change the Default Text and Screen Colors?

ballyalley

I'm using MAC/65, version 4.20. This is the disk version of the assembler. I want to change the default screen colors to those that Atari BASIC uses. I wrote a short program in Atari BASIC to show me the default colors (in decimal). Here's a screenshot of the program and the results:

post-4925-0-79413200-1415395711_thumb.png

The disk version of MAC/65 allows the user to display and change memory locations. These are two functions that are not part of the cartridge version of MAC/65. Changing the text and screen color has no effect; I'm only able to change the color of the border. The following screenshot is an example of me trying to change the text color (location $2C5) to the same color as used in BASIC:

post-4925-0-37831000-1415395716_thumb.png

First I display the contents of $2C6 (it holds a $06). Next I try to change the contents to $CA (202 in decimal). Then I show the contents of $2C6 again. The contents have not been changed. Changing location $2C8 (the border) does work-- so the method that I'm using is sound.

How do I properly change the text and screen colors in MAC/65?

I'm using MAC/65, version 4.20. This is the disk version of the assembler. I want to change the default screen colors to those that Atari BASIC uses. I wrote a short program in Atari BASIC to show me the default colors (in decimal). Here's a screenshot of the program and the results:

attachicon.gifBASIC - Color Program.png

The disk version of MAC/65 allows the user to display and change memory locations. These are two functions that are not part of the cartridge version of MAC/65. Changing the text and screen color has no effect; I'm only able to change the color of the border. The following screenshot is an example of me trying to change the text color (location $2C5) to the same color as used in BASIC:

attachicon.gifMac-65 - Color Change.png

First I display the contents of $2C6 (it holds a $06). Next I try to change the contents to $CA (202 in decimal). Then I show the contents of $2C6 again. The contents have not been changed. Changing location $2C8 (the border) does work-- so the method that I'm using is sound.

How do I properly change the text and screen colors in MAC/65?

I think 709 ($2C5) to 202 and 710 ($2C6) to 148 gets you to BASIC blue and white. $2C5 is the color and luminance of the text and $2C6 the background.

I think the disk version will change the colours every time a new line entry is started - so anything you change will soon revert back.

The solution would be to just patch the program to remove that.

I can't change the colors on the disk version of MAC/65? Wow. There is nothing like taking away power from the user. That seems like an unusual decision coming for OSS, Inc., a company that is about giving power to the user. Ah, well. It looks like I'll have to live with a black background and border with gray text while I'm working my way through "Atari Roots." I really thought that it would be easy to change the colors.

Load into the emulator, you can find the addresses needing change within seconds.

It becomes a one-off thing but you could just as easily patch the executable.

I grabbed the disk based Mac/65 4.20 from http://www.umich.edu/~archive/atari/8bit/Languages/Assembly/m65v42.zip

Using change command within Mac/65 for background/text colours:

C 8B3F<82

C 8B44<0A

• Like 1