Photo

Atari specialized software ftp sites going dark need to save them!

34 replies to this topic

#26 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Flux Capacitor Master Craftsman

• Topic Starter
  • 6,767 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:00 PM

Yep we better get all the information, not just games, while the getting is good... our 'King' and 'Emperor' execObama is working hard to plug all the leaky internet holes. One controlled source for everyone.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Yep soon no control over your internet experience and no control over your own healthcare or our physical borders.

Edited by _The Doctor__, Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 PM.

#27 Simba7 OFFLINE  

Simba7

Space Invader

• 36 posts

Posted Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:19 AM

We had control over our internet experience? I thought the huge ISPs did since they control the pipes.

Yep soon no control over your internet experience

#28 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 22,092 posts

Posted Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:10 AM

I used to say that myspace, facebook, and youtube were the garbage dump of the internet. But now the internet is the garbage dump of humanity. Good material is being diluted and interspersed with too much advertising and celebrity crap, all in the name of making click-fests and turning a profit someplace. Ughhh..

#29 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

• Topic Starter
  • 6,767 posts

Posted Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:28 AM

um been using bang paths and arpanet as well as alternate methods of getting places since messing around with the college machines and other pre world wide web internet protocols and 'pipes'.... Seeing how vulnerable and controlled the current methods are we would have been better off using something else,  why oh why did the protocol wars end this way?  Musta been those d*ck heads at CERN that did it thinking we would all just sing koombaya and suddenly get along and do no harm..... it was about 2 years ago they killed my bang paths off.... but maybe they still sort of exist in usenet.

You can still control the path you take to a degree..... forcing a path does not always work anymore either... dang new fangled equipment....

I found me some goher... only sadly no Atari dug up in the remaining gopher holes...

http://gopher.floodg.../world/last-hit

so get your Atari running LYNX, or  add overbite to firefox and get digging!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program... find the Atari specialty software and sites and truely archive them!

Edited by _The Doctor__, Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:08 AM.

#30 SynMonger OFFLINE  

SynMonger

Space Invader

• 26 posts

Posted Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:47 AM

Just a suggestion here, but what about torrents or bittorrent sync? They are at least less reliant on a single server like an FTP. It doesn't solve every problem, but it could help share the load of hosting. And if people keep seeding it avoids a single point of failure.

#31 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

• Topic Starter
  • 6,767 posts

Posted Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:00 PM

So many torrents are dead, or interfered with today. not enough seeds, or purposeful malicious corrupted slices. Infected ads in utorrent was my latest fun filled adventure.

I love the idea and hope there is a solution we can all use together. Make a promise to seed and recommend some safe free torrent clients and tools.

#32 SynMonger OFFLINE  

SynMonger

Space Invader

• 26 posts

Posted Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:40 PM

I use Deluge for torrents. 

#33 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

Quadrunner

• 5,217 posts

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:18 AM

Stay away from moo torrent.  Research who owns it now and who own them and it's an easy choice.  I find qbittorrent great, especially when the machine you run it on has python installed (see how search function works with python).  Deluge is a good one too and is a 2nd choice for me.

#34 VW OFFLINE  

VW

Chopper Commander

• 224 posts

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:32 AM

I haven't had any problems with Transmission for Ubuntu Linux.

#35 fujidude OFFLINE  

fujidude

Quadrunner

• 5,217 posts

Posted Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:54 PM

I haven't had any problems with Transmission for Ubuntu Linux.

Yep, I've tried that too (it's the default one in Ubuntu) and I had no complaints.  I just liked Deluge better for some reason I no longer remmeber.  I prefer qbittorrent now because of the enhanced search capabilites.  Those search capabilities rquire Python be installed and available on the host.  This is already the case with most (all?) Linux distros.  But when using it on Doze... be sure to install the latest version of Python.  Python is awesome anyway.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users