IGNORED

HSC11 Round 20: "S" Sea Dragon

Had another 30K+ go but still crashed by moving the stick in the wrong direction under pressure too many times.

post-19705-0-26529400-1416353950_thumb.jpg

Has anyone gone to the top for air at the end screen? I haven't as you can just about fluke It if you go in close to the first barrier and zap away then move in 1 and then go to the middle as the air gauge turns purple.

Had a go on Admiral 20,600 - the scoring may be slightly flawed as you can possibly crash towards the end of a section and repeat it for more points rather than making progress so we'll skip this bonus point.

post-19705-0-45786600-1416353948_thumb.jpg

Still time to vote for "T" Games *HERE*

pick a few games in A and B we'll play the two winners in the next round :thumbsup:

Sea Dragon - 18,000 (ish)

I saw the end of the level and died. So, the next time I played I cheated just to see what happens (i.e. not much). It just restarts on the next difficulty setting (points doubled for objects)

It is true that in Sea Dragon, you could die at the last section and make quite a few points shooting the barriers (10 per block), but I I am not sure that is the optimal strategy. You are probably just better off killing the bomb boss ( 2k points I think) and then starting the next section at a slightly faster speed. It seemed that the points in the first section were worth 3k (6k doubled), which I think makes up for the two barriers that you can wipe out.

Had another 30K+ go but still crashed by moving the stick in the wrong direction under pressure too many times.

attachicon.gifSD-Yeoman.jpg

Has anyone gone to the top for air at the end screen? I haven't as you can just about fluke It if you go in close to the first barrier and zap away then move in 1 and then go to the middle as the air gauge turns purple.

Had a go on Admiral 20,600 - the scoring may be slightly flawed as you can possibly crash towards the end of a section and repeat it for more points rather than making progress so we'll skip this bonus point.

Yeah I did consider that, you could get about 5k and then crash I think, and just repeat without having to go onto the more difficult sections

Ok that's it for round 20 and despite the efforts of McKong and myself 8bit 1337 holds on for victory (you know the HSC'er formally known as "nature boy") :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sea Dragon is a good game I was a little disappointed that there was no underwater Dragon to slay at the end, but I guess we are the Dragon, so destroying a little mine that's probably blocking something important will have to do :D

I suspect to beat the 2nd level onwards you'll need to get to that air pocket on the end section. I liked the slow first level, Admiral seems way too fast to play again I think a stiff joystick is required for this one.

Checkout Sabotage when you get some time, it's ok for a couple of goes, thanks for sharing playermissile :thumbsup: and thanks for playing all you Atari die hards :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Final Tables

Sea Dragon (Yeoman)

1st 8Bit 1337 (n) 38,730 13pts*
2nd McKong (p) 35,790 12pts*
3rd therealbountybob (p) 34,890 11pts*

4th CaptainClassic (p) 18,000 9pts
5th JK40001 (p) 11,300 9pts
6th Gury (p) 7,300 8pts
7th firestorm (n) 6,300 7pts
8th adam242 (n) 4,600 6pts
8th atariron82 (n) 4,600 6pts
10th playermissile (n) 4,350 4pts
11th Bunsen (p) 4,150 3pts
12th Sikor (p) 4,100 2pts
13th roadrunner (n) 2,400 1pts

*HSC record bonus point

Fun Bonus Challenge Sea Dragon: Admiral
1st therealbountybob (p) 20,600
2nd McKong (p) 13,800
3rd 8Bit 1337 (n) 10,400
4th Bunsen (p) 4,400
5th roadrunner (n) 2,400

Bonus Game Sabotage (details on post #10)

1st therealbountybob (p) 146 1pt
2nd playermissile (n) 49
3rd roadrunner (n) 11

• Like 1

Yep I got into this game after a few goes, initially I thought the sub was not manoeuvrable enough to make the game playable but I got used to it.

I can't believe that it's possible to make your way through those caves on Admiral, seems too fast. I think it would be difficult even without the mines!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got the technical details from AA user Shamus so I'm going to do a bit of an in-depth look at how the Apple ][ code was modified to run on the 8-bit hardware. Done 5 episodes so far; still looking at 1981 games. I'm looking forward to starting 1982, that's when more variety starts to appear. Link to the show notes in my sig.

Without guided shells sounds good. Paddles do make the game easier on the a2 but I asked about the paddle code and Shamus said that Apple and Atari paddle handling was too different so only keyboard is supported

Woohoo! One point for me! Maybe eventually I'll set my sights really high and aim for two.

Just listened to the pod cast http://www.playermissile.com/ while (still) working on Ramp Rage. Was interesting hearing about the conversion of Sabotage. I'm sure Shamus could get someone on the programming forum to help out with adding paddles or joystick support which would perhaps be easier, this would Sabotage more accessable :)

Check out the pod cast and Sabotage guys; you still can post scores here for fun too :)

Thanks for giving the HSC a plug :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jason

Second try, got killed by the second jet fighter's bomb. :P I know it's too late for this round, but oh well. ;)

post-4305-0-83285700-1417974451_thumb.png

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to bodge in joystick support; it's just a matter of finding where the paddle reading code is and patching it. :)

• Like 1