IGNORED

Intellivision Football League game thread

mthompson

The Bombers marched down the field on their opening drive to get a field goal and go up 3-0 on the Destroyers. That's still the score at the end of the 1st quarter.

HALFTIME UPDATE: The Bombers' aerial assault has helped them build a 12-0 lead on the Destroyers at halftime. The Destroyers have just 91 total yards compared to 242 for the Bombers!

3RD QUARTER UPDATE: Destroyers launch a counter-offensive and get in the end zone to cut the Bombers' lead to 12-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter. The battle is not over yet!

Edited by mthompson

The Bombers answer with a touchdown of their own and a late field goal to defeat the Destroyers 22-7.

post-39531-0-53890400-1415757731_thumb.pngpost-39531-0-44599600-1415757730_thumb.pngpost-39531-0-02309900-1415757731_thumb.png

That wraps up week 1 in the IFL. Next week's action will take place Monday and Tuesday on roughly the same schedule. Be sure to check out action photos from this week's games on the IFL website and get a look at each team's unique uniforms and home fields!

Wow my guess on the total points is going to be way off!

It's interesting... far more defensively oriented than I'd have thought -- what with the crazy number of turnovers. Interesting... Offenses are totally pass-happy -- as if it were today's NFL -- but scores are all over the place. Then again, this was done in what... 1986? Right after the Bears went 15-1 with that crazy defense... (As a Packers fan, you can't believe how tough it was back then...)

Congrats to intvsteve for coming closest to guessing that 131 points would be scored in this week's 4 games. He's now the proud owner of an Intellivision Football League t-shirt!

post-39531-0-91796800-1415759014_thumb.png

How about the rest of you spectators? Send in your guess for week 2 anytime before 12 noon CST Monday and you could get a free t-shirt too, just like Steve. Just PM me with "IFL Week 2" in the subject line. You can't win if you don't play 8)

So far, each team has been set to super pro, but I've been wondering if we should try the other levels, keeping the teams at the same skill level as each other.

Yeah, I've tried them at separate skill levels from one another (i.e. one at super pro and the other at pro) and it ended up being a blow out. The scores you post are for a full 60 min game?

Yeah, I've tried them at separate skill levels from one another (i.e. one at super pro and the other at pro) and it ended up being a blow out. The scores you post are for a full 60 min game?

Yes, they're full 60-minutes games. It's interesting to see how much the scores vary even when the teams have the same skill levels. Already we've had a close game and a blowout. At some point it would be interesting to see what happens when all the teams are set to maybe 5 or 7, but for the moment I think we'll stick with super pro.

You could have a separate 'college season/league' with new teams for playing at lower difficulty levels

I wonder if the game play would change significantly or if the turnovers or pass completions would increase or decrease. I was surprised that games between equal teams could be lopsided, but there you go. Two big differences when the computer controls both teams are that the quarterback is never sacked and there are no breakaway long runs.

Still plenty of time to send me a guess for points scored in next week's games and win a free IFL t-shirt. 131 points were scored in week 1's four games. The deadline is noon CST Monday (kickoff for Smash @ Beamriders).

And if you haven't checked out tacrec's game pictures on the IFL website, here are some samples. Very cool.

post-39531-0-72676200-1416088819_thumb.gifpost-39531-0-78809300-1416088818_thumb.gifpost-39531-0-74370700-1416088820_thumb.gif

It's game day in the IFL, and so far in game 1 the Smash and Beamriders are putting on a punting exhibition. It's tied 0-0 after 1 quarter.

HALFTIME UPDATE: The Beamriders manage a field goal for the only score of the first half, putting them up 3-0 over the Smash.

3RD QUARTER UPDATE: The Smash get on the scoreboard with a 4-yard touchdown pass and have a 7-3 lead at the end of the 3rd quarter.

4TH QUARTER UPDATE: The Beamriders fight back with two field goals and have taken a 9-7 lead with 8:35 to play in the game!

Edited by mthompson

Incredible finish! Instead of running out the clock, the Beamriders turn the ball over on 4th and 1 with less than a minute to go, and the Smash kick a field goal as time expires to win 10-9. The Smash get their first win of the season, while the Beamriders are still looking for answers at 0-2.

post-39531-0-45775500-1416251424_thumb.pngpost-39531-0-32490900-1416251423_thumb.pngpost-39531-0-93067700-1416251423_thumb.png

Tonight's game has the Destroyers visiting the Armada, with both teams looking for their first win of the season.

Another close game is shaping up, as the Destroyers lead the Armada 3-0 at the end of the 1st quarter.

HALFTIME UPDATE: The Destroyers have held the Armada to just 1 first down so far and are taking a 6-0 lead into the locker room at halftime.

3RD QUARTER UPDATE: It's still all Destroyers, as they take a 12-0 lead into the 4th quarter.

4TH QUARTER UPDATE: The Armada have cut the deficit with a touchdown and now trail 12-7 with 7:37 to go in the 4th.

UPDATE: An interception leads to 3 quick points, and the Armada now trail the Destroyers 12-10 with 6:12 left in the game. Do we have another last-second finish on our hands?

Edited by mthompson

Today's first game is underway, and the Sharks are on the attack. They lead the Mutants 6-3 in the 1st quarter.

2ND QUARTER UPDATE: The Sharks have scored two TDs and lead now lead the Mutants 20-3 late in the 2nd quarter.

HALFTIME UPDATE: The Mutants get in the end zone on the final play of the half but still trail the Sharks 20-10.

3RD QUARTER UPDATE: Sharks score on a 30-yard touchdown pass, longest play in the IFL this season! Their lead is now 27-17.

4TH QUARTER UPDATE: The Mutants have kicked three field goals to pull within a point of the Sharks. It's 27-26 midway through the 4th.

Edited by mthompson

The Spartans & Bombers are battling it out tonight, and so far the Spartans have managed just 15 yards of total offense. They trail the Bombers 3-0 after 1 quarter.

HALFTIME UPDATE: Still all Bombers in this one, with three more scores putting them up 16-0 at halftime.

3RD QUARTER UPDATE: Can it get any worse for the Spartans? Bombers extend their lead to 29-0 to start the 4th quarter.

Edited by mthompson

Congrats to maibock for coming closest to guessing that 139 points would be scored in week 2 (PM sent). He's now the proud owner of an Intellivision Football League t-shirt!

Next week brings another chance to get in on the fun and guess next week's point total. Send me your prediction sometime between now and Monday noon CST and you could be the envy of all your Intv friends when you win. :)