IGNORED

XF351 for sale on ebay

bob1200xl

No, it probably isn't. This drive uses the same CPU as the XF551 and the code seems to have some of the same problems.

The drive doesn't seem to use the PERCOM parms at all. The XF551 only uses DD or not DD, but that's better than "Hide The Density and Go Seek"!

The disk spin-up parameter is too short. This makes the first format attempt fail. They extended the spin-up time on the XF551 but that made it too slow for a modern 3.5 drive.

The sector skew seems to be wacky, but I didn't test this.

It doesn't like to switch density to DD - same as the XF551.

Bob

DOS XE might need to be patched to work with the drive but I dout anyone is going to do that.

Try my dos xe formatter. It is on this forum somewhere. Will need to be run from dos xe as it places parameters into dos xe itself for the drive type which you can name.

James

edit:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/154173-bored-so-i-did-this-part-2/?hl=%2Bdosxe&do=findComment&comment=1894629

is link to the formatter

Edited by sup8pdct

When I first got DOS XE I had to set the DOS up and have it reassemble itelf to use the XF and a few other drives... whatever I used was included with the DOS and I had to use the option select start keys during it's use...

I will look to see if the entire DOS XE is here somewhere... I can't remember, but once it's in front of me it will come back

Hello guys

Atari wanted to bring out the XF351, but software companies didn't want to support 3.5" disks for the Atari. So Atari turned the XF351 into the XF551. Wouldn't surprise me, if the changes (apart from the size of the case and the mechanism) are minimal.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hello Caterpiggle

At the time, the Atari 8 bit software market was shrinking. Supporting 3.5" and 5.25" drives/disks would have cost the software companies extra money. The Atari 8 bit marker was too small for that. Add to that that Tramiel Atari was only thinking in saving dollars, which might have had a negative influence on the relationship between Atari and at least some of the software houses and "not bringing the XF351 to market" doesn't sound as strange anymore.

BTW Tramiel Atari probably wanted to bring out a 3.5" drive, because it would share lots of parts with the external ST drives. Which again would save lots of money.

Sincerely

Mathy

That depends on how much you pay for it...

No, I am kidding!

SDX has a problem formatting the disk, which is usually a conflict between what the DOS expects the drive to be and what the drive thinks it is. SDX is able to read DOS 2.0 disks and such, but it may take some experimenting to get it to format correctly.

If you want an everyday 3.5 drive, you should get an XF551 and convert it to 3.5. This works really well (and, it's a lot cheaper than using an XF351).

Bob

DOS 2.0 and MyDOS format it OK. SDX is looking for something that the XF351 does not provide. If we knew how SDX and the XF351 responded to SIO commands, we could probably make something work.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't sector copy a formatted SDX 5.25 onto a 3.5 that has been formatted with DOS 2.0

Bob

OK - so I played with the XF351 a little. SD3.2d will format a disk in SD. SDX will not (sounds like it is trying to run High Speed SIO even though I told him not to). Works fine on SD3.2d. It looks like the native mode for the XF351 is 127K, something like 1024 sectors with 128 bytes per sector. At least I can get that much data on a disk.

Pretty cool.

Bob

Is possible for you to post ROM from XF351 here ? So that those people may figure out how to dissemble out ? Correct me that your EPROM reader can do the job ? Maybe there are the code how to format correctly , if they know how to read rom file. I thought XF351 can format up to 720 K but seems not possible ? I know it is prototype, unfinished fully developing stage.

OK - so I played with the XF351 a little. SD3.2d will format a disk in SD. SDX will not (sounds like it is trying to run High Speed SIO even though I told him not to). Works fine on SD3.2d. It looks like the native mode for the XF351 is 127K, something like 1024 sectors with 128 bytes per sector. At least I can get that much data on a disk.

Pretty cool.

Bob

In 3.2d. from memory, I had to run a program that modified 3.2 to allow high speed and get the XF to switch density, the resulting bootable dos did not like having drives moved as the modification hard coded a single drive number to work only with XF, moving drives around resulted in whatever non xf drive that took the slot assignment not working. That was my experience way back when.

Edited by _The Doctor__