Instead of quoting, I'll just try to respond to everyone here.
1) I think for the Arcade mode, I will go with Layout 2 so I can have the 2 lines of text at the top, but still have more playable area than layout 1 fails to offer. Layout 3 will be for the Enhanced mode.
2) The scrollable area sounds good in theory, however, since this game could potentially have 2 players vs 2 computer players, that would be quite a stretch to accomplish with a bike split screen. I'll just keep the screen locked, no scrolling for now, but I like the concept.
3) I thought about making the entire game, but honestly, for me, the bike game and perhaps the tank game were my favorites. Mainly the problem is the 32Kb limit for a FULL Tron game. Also, by making just the Light Cycles game, I can create a bunch of levels, powerups, etc. that the original didn't have for the Enhanced mode. I'll try to keep the powerups so that they are not corny or boring. One of my thoughts is a weapon that, when touched, shoots a temporary wide light beam to the both sides of the cycle. The Beam will destroy anything in its path including light beams....not the outside wall though. Another idea in the enhanced mode, is if you make the enemy bike hit the wall, it will leave the wall broken open (like in the movie). If you drive into the opening in the wall, it will display text quoting from the movie and you win the level(or the game?)...perhaps, you have to evade tanks after that to win the game???....just thoughts.
4) A.I. I'll make sure to study up on YouTube videos, my own testing against the arcade game and whatever else to make probably several different A.I.'s to keep the replayability factor of the game good. Nebulon, I haven't gotten too far into the levels against the computer, so I'm not sure what you mean by the TRON machine can be set to sound recording.
5) If there are any legal implications for making the game called Tron Light Cycles....perhaps we could just call it Light Cycles?