IGNORED

New game Super Trash Truck DEMO Right Here, Right Now!

YANDMAN

Hi guys thank you for all the great interest you have shown so far in SUPER TRASH TRUCK , Here as promised is the playable DEMO remember the settings are:

NTSC any difficulty switch set to 'A'

PAL60 both difficulty switches set to 'B'

I hope you enjoy the game as much as me and 'The Loon' do please give feedback once you have played it for an hour or two believe me it is addictive.

Please let me know what scores you guys are getting and to which 'DAY'

Thanks again and enjoy :)

supertrashtruckdemo.bin

• Like 1

Feedback, although I haven't played an hour or two :lol:

Beautiful leaves, trees, player truck. Especially trees. I guess the movement adds blending and shading?

I hope I was playing in the correct mode with the correct colors. The truck is purple, not red as I imagined.

Changing day/colors over time is always a plus. Progressing through time with changing colors, changing weather, changing seasons makes doing a similar task more rewarding.

Extra lives icon: Supposed to be trash cans? I suggest a head-on view of a semi-truck (grill/headlights,bumper, tires, windshield - start minimal with truck grill and add what you can.)

The light blue obstacles look like trash cans, but you can not pick those up. I thought I was collecting trash!?

If they are trash can/cans make them silver and let me collect them. If they are not trash cans, redesign the sprite because they look like trash cans. Even the big dark rectangles look like dumpsters that I want to collect. How about big green dumpster rectangles that I can collect (even if my player is a smallish truck, collecting dumpsters, trash cans, trash piles should be there).

Red churches/milkshakes. I don't know what these are supposed to be, but you can collect them. They give a bad sound so I am not sure if I am getting points or subtracting points, or if getting this is good or bad.

Add other things to avoid? Bicycles / motorcycles. Kids chasing balls into the street? Dogs / Cats? Squirrels 10-point bonus :evil: !

Brakes for intersections with horizontal traffic / red lights? Cop cars? Tickets that cost you score "money"?

Now that DPC+ has vertical scrolling, let me know if you want help to do a sequel with more detailed sprites and 24K program space to waste/use. :)

• Like 1

Yeah. Lack of instructions leads to confusion :)

The red churches are probably my gas containers. They award you one life up to a max of four (indicated by the mini trash cans at the bottom left-hand side).

On Stella at least you must set one of the difficulty switches to A in order to get NTSC colors. The truck is purple on NTSC and red on a PAL TV set.

The truck is definitely RED, the piles of Trash are yellow that you collect, We are collecting the trash that has spilled out not the trash cans which are blue and to be avoided. as far as all the extras you mentioned yes in a perfect world that would be good but the game space is maxed out and before you know it if you start to adfd all those things that exist in games that already exist then you are simply copying something else and that isnt my plan.

But i do appreciate the feedback and hope you are enjoying it.

It is your game. I can only offer my opinion and suggestions.

Design: The lives should be trucks, not cans. Avoid cans?!?

Design: To call it Super Trash Truck, and then have to avoid trash cans is not right.

Design: Trash piles look like a heart-shaped leaf. Super Leaf Sweeper?

Design: Can't see crash when road is black. Maybe an orange color fiery crash?

Design: The sound for a gas can should be a good power up sound, not a low buzz bad sound.

Note: Phosphor off (which I usually keep off) makes things clearer. I can see the gas can now.

Note: Phosphor effect on is a bad thing in this game.

Note: It looks better in PAL60, but it is not just a switch flip in Stella. I have to reload ROM or restart Stella.

Gameplay: Nothing wrong here. I like the changing road widths. I like the objects when they start moving down along with side to side.

Note: There are many ways to free ROM space without sacrificing anything.

• Like 1

It is your game. I can only offer my opinion and suggestions.

Design: The lives should be trucks, not cans. Avoid cans?!?

Design: To call it Super Trash Truck, and then have to avoid trash cans is not right.

Design: Trash piles look like a heart-shaped leaf. Super Leaf Sweeper?

Design: Can't see crash when road is black. Maybe an orange color fiery crash?

Design: The sound for a gas can should be a good power up sound, not a low buzz bad sound.

Note: Phosphor off (which I usually keep off) makes things clearer. I can see the gas can now.

Note: Phosphor effect on is a bad thing in this game.

Note: It looks better in PAL60, but it is not just a switch flip in Stella. I have to reload ROM or restart Stella.

Gameplay: Nothing wrong here. I like the changing road widths. I like the objects when they start moving down along with side to side.

Note: There are many ways to free ROM space without sacrificing anything.

Thanks for your suggestions, if a truck icon for the lives is possible then yes i agree that would be better, No trash truck on the planet ever collected trash cans they collect the contents of trash cans and that content has spilled out into the streets here in this game and if you were driving a trash truck you would be avoiding trash cans not driving into them. The piles of trash were designed as they are as 'theloon' was working off of the artwork that i had made up for the arcade cabinet (see in initial post ) so that when the game is running in the cabinet i am going to make the game would fit as closely to that as possible, i personally dont think it looks anything like a leaf. I agree that a different coloured crash at night would be good again if that is possible, and i also agree that a jucier power up sound would also work.

The game is obviously designed to operate primarily on actual hardware and the switching of the settings is purely related to that, the fact that it is harder to do so on an emulator was not a considered factor nor do i see why it would be.

Thanks for your feedback though i do appreciate your views.

A couple of things from one playthrough. First, it seemed like early in the game the trash was appearing off the road where it was unreachable more often than not. I'm sure it was just luck of the draw and my next game will be different, but it was pretty frustrating. Second, on day 2 when the speed increases, the "stationary" objects (trees, trash, gas cans) are moving at a different speed than the road animation. It sort of ruins the illusion of speed.

I like the concept, though generally I like my driving games faster (I realize garbage trucks aren't fast, just a personal opinion).

• Like 1

Some of the trash is just there as scenery, you can only aim for any of the objects within the street, Theloon will correct me on this but i think the graphic change you speak of is due to the speed decrease we had to make as the initial jump from day one to two was too severe but due to the increments available and the rate at which the sprites move within that time frame is what i think you are noticing. believe me we spent a lot of time play testing it, if it was faster and as a result more fluid like it was it would of been too unplayable and people woul;d not of enjoyed the experience. the game breaks you in as with respect of speed, let me know how you fare on days three and upwards it is fast and pretty tough.

The second "day" is weird. Everything moves down the screen 1.5 pixels at a time which doesn't quite match the scrolling speed no matter what I do. On "day" 3 everything goes a straight 2 pixels down at a time and the scrolling speed matches again. Good eye!

I'll see if I can get some of the loose garbage to slide back on to the road. Thanks KaeruYojimbo!

A couple of things from one playthrough. First, it seemed like early in the game the trash was appearing off the road where it was unreachable more often than not. I'm sure it was just luck of the draw and my next game will be different, but it was pretty frustrating. Second, on day 2 when the speed increases, the "stationary" objects (trees, trash, gas cans) are moving at a different speed than the road animation. It sort of ruins the illusion of speed.

I like the concept, though generally I like my driving games faster (I realize garbage trucks aren't fast, just a personal opinion).

Just sent YANDMAN a new build with some of your suggestions, man.

* Set RIGHT difficulty to A for hard mode (starts at day 3) Much faster!

* Objects tend to slide off the curb onto the road.

Isn't this fugging cool? I think it's a pretty unique thing we've got here at AtariAge where we play and make games together. Sometimes feedback is even incorporated before the game gets a physical release! Win-win win!