IGNORED

Our TI -- What the future brings, our plans and hopes.

Omega-TI

It is my guess the makers of Saberwulf had their game mechanics, logic, etc. outlined on paper in words and pseudo-code or other similar strategies and used that as the basis for programming it for each platform. Sprites and such were done for each platform seldomly was reused directly from platform to platform. They often will have graph sheets with boxes filled in with colors. A common reference and then for each platform, the graphic artist will make a version for that platform while usually trying to keep as much resemblance to the original reference.

Imagine if we had a cross platform library of all retro games with pseudo code, graphics and sound, then conversion would be a blast. Something like http://www.smspower.org/ but much more detailed.

Converting a game means you don't have to draw the graphics and make the sound, and you don't have to reinvent the game play, but you have to be prepared to be evaluated relative to the original rather than your own work.

People have different reasons for wanting to make a TI game. At first I wanted to know I could do an assembly game at all, but now I think it's more interesting to demonstrate that better graphics and sound could have been done on the TI. Having said that, the desire to make games is very much driven by the amount of constructive feedback you get. And the feedback has to reflect that people are actually trying to play your game, for otherwise what's the point?
I think I should try adamantyr's game now... :)

Imagine if we had a cross platform library of all retro games with pseudo code, graphics and sound, then conversion would be a blast. Something like http://www.smspower.org/ but much more detailed.

Converting a game means you don't have to draw the graphics and make the sound, and you don't have to reinvent the game play, but you have to be prepared to be evaluated relative to the original rather than your own work.

People have different reasons for wanting to make a TI game. At first I wanted to know I could do an assembly game at all, but now I think it's more interesting to demonstrate that better graphics and sound could have been done on the TI. Having said that, the desire to make games is very much driven by the amount of constructive feedback you get. And the feedback has to reflect that people are actually trying to play your game, for otherwise what's the point?

I think I should try adamantyr's game now... :)

Well converting games can in times involve having to re-draw the graphics and re-make the sound because of difference in graphic and sound chips are that much. In which case, you would try to capture the essence of the game and character.

If it were as simple as a cross platform library, it would be simple but sometimes its alot of "re-writing" the code and even redoing the graphics and sound while being the same game in terms of game story, game play mechanics, general look and feel, etc.

Edited by Wildstar

I was thinking about that possible WEATHER APP for the TI...

It does not seem to require much information from the user, as the settings appear really minimal...

gallery_35324_1027_1925.jpg

On a TI, it would only require the Zip code and the required temperature scale, to be entered. These two items could easily be saved in a file for loading upon start up. I'm assuming the actual displayed temperature would be based off of one standard and converted to the other on the TI itself for display.

The information it spits back APPEARS to be temperature, date, time and location.

I'm unsure if all the location data is stored on the PC or if the program is in charge of taking the numeric zip code string and sending back the city & state string on contact.

gallery_35324_1027_18663.jpg

The TI's basic screen in large enough to display the temp, time and location (based on zip code).

One of the hardest parts would be taking the graphics for the various conditions, running them through Tursi's graphics converter program and including them in the finished application. Now I suppose for testing, the various conditions could just have the weather conditions displayed in TEXT form. I'm assuming this is just a simple numerical value, that the computer used to select the appropriate graphic on the computers end.

Now the time display does appear to be dependent on the PC, so I'm assuming a program like this would have to be written to work with a PGRAM or CorComp RTC. I suppose it could also work with the clock routine recently uploaded by Tursi in the X10 package, which would require that the time and date be inserted upon loading the program. However, the displayed HOURLY time does change by zip code, so does the server control the UTC +/1 routine based on zip code, or is this done within the program?

There does not appear to be a whole lot of data exchanged. The program would probably only need to poll for temperature updates every 10 minutes or so.

I was thinking about that possible WEATHER APP for the TI...

It does not seem to require much information from the user, as the settings appear really minimal...

gallery_35324_1027_1925.jpg

On a TI, it would only require the Zip code and the required temperature scale, to be entered. These two items could easily be saved in a file for loading upon start up. I'm assuming the actual displayed temperature would be based off of one standard and converted to the other on the TI itself for display.

The information it spits back APPEARS to be temperature, date, time and location.

I'm unsure if all the location data is stored on the PC or if the program is in charge of taking the numeric zip code string and sending back the city & state string on contact.

gallery_35324_1027_18663.jpg

The TI's basic screen in large enough to display the temp, time and location (based on zip code).

One of the hardest parts would be taking the graphics for the various conditions, running them through Tursi's graphics converter program and including them in the finished application. Now I suppose for testing, the various conditions could just have the weather conditions displayed in TEXT form. I'm assuming this is just a simple numerical value, that the computer used to select the appropriate graphic on the computers end.

Now the time display does appear to be dependent on the PC, so I'm assuming a program like this would have to be written to work with a PGRAM or CorComp RTC. I suppose it could also work with the clock routine recently uploaded by Tursi in the X10 package, which would require that the time and date be inserted upon loading the program. However, the displayed HOURLY time does change by zip code, so does the server control the UTC +/1 routine based on zip code, or is this done within the program?

There does not appear to be a whole lot of data exchanged. The program would probably only need to poll for temperature updates every 10 minutes or so.

They use only a handful of images. You only need a handful of sprites. You need not worry about how photorealistic it looks... at least not in your first version. There is only so many data values used. A sprite for Rainy conditions, A sprite for partly cloudy. A sprite for partial cloud/sunshine and showers. Sprites for snowy conditions. Keep it simple. It often is. You just need to link the textual conditions to sprite table.

In the most sophisticated case, its somewhat a database. It wouldn't be a surprise if its just strings and you have to parse it.

Edited by Wildstar
  • Like 1

In the most sophisticated case, its somewhat a database. It wouldn't be a surprise if its just strings and you have to parse it.

Well, that would suck as there are a lot of zip codes to localize things down. If someone had a program to read whats going out and coming in over the Internet, they could probably find out in short order how much data is being utilized in each packet as well as the format.

Also, upon further reflection on the time aspect, I'm pretty sure it's UTC based, so the TI program would probably have to factor for time zone and daylight savings time. The user would just enter their local time and the computer would do the rest.

• Like 1

For weather related stuff:

This link can provide for a loose prototypical pseudocode.

https://mythweather-accuweather.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/accuweather.pl

However, I would recommend actually getting data from original sources like NOAA.

Here:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/emwin/index.htm

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/emwin/winnet.htm

Regarding Time Servers, that's a separate thing:

Here: NIST Time Servers protocols

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm

RFC-867 Classic format used since old MS-DOS.

RFC-868 Largely Deprecated format

RFC-1305 NTP Protocol

NTP Protocol (RFC-1305) is the current protocol format used in modern PC systems for getting their time updates with time servers.

MOST SPECIFICALLY, WE WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SNTP (SIMPLE NETWORK TIME PROTOCOL).

SNTP is a simplified version of NTP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol#SNTP

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4330

RFC4330

This document might be of some informational value.

Edited by Wildstar
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bump...

My Christmas 2014, plans for 2015 and 'LIKE' to see ?

I would certainly like to see people bump their own threads some more. It's so refreshing.

I also plan on becoming a subscriber. Then I can secretly change the topic title and edit post #1, and people will have great fun when they eventually discover they're actually reading an old thread. Absolutely hilarious. Totally.

:party:

My Christmas 2014, plans for 2015 and 'LIKE' to see ?

I would certainly like to see people bump their own threads some more. It's so refreshing.

I also plan on becoming a subscriber. Then I can secretly change the topic title and edit post #1, and people will have great fun when they eventually discover they're actually reading an old thread. Absolutely hilarious. Totally.

:party:

Satire noted, but you do not need to be a subscriber to change your own topic title or post #1—simply edit post #1 in the full editor.

[EDIT: Oops! I was too quick on the draw—I missed the significance of “secretly”. My bad! :dunce:]

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart

Satire noted, but you do not need to be a subscriber to change your own topic title or post #1—simply edit post #1 in the full editor.

[EDIT: Oops! I was too quick on the draw—I missed the significance of “secretly”. My bad! :dunce:]

...lee

Oh, yeah. It only just hit me that I can go back and change history without anyone knowing. How cool is that?

Since I've learned the new rules are to air things in public...

I guess in 2015, I need to post less and spend less time here as well. It was fun, but as they say, "It's impossible to please everyone." Having spent so much time here, I don't want to spend more concerned that any action I take might offend someone.

In 2015 I'll also be sure to take the extra time to go back and check to see if I originated a interesting thread before I decide to bump it for any reason, as I don't want to break any unwritten 'Cardinal Rules of Etiquette' or provoke the ire of anyone.

As for subscribing, I've spent so much time here, it would have been cheap of me, not to mention rude, if I did not contribute to a system that I used so much. Whatever reasons one has for subscribing, good for them!

I guess in 2015, I need to post less and spend less time here as well. It was fun, but as they say, "It's impossible to please everyone." Having spent so much time here, I don't want to spend more concerned that any action I take might offend someone.

In 2015 I'll also be sure to take the extra time to go back and check to see if I originated a interesting thread before I decide to bump it for any reason, as I don't want to break any unwritten 'Cardinal Rules of Etiquette' or provoke the ire of anyone.

As for subscribing, I've spent so much time here, it would have been cheap of me, not to mention rude, if I did not contribute to a system that I used so much. Whatever reasons one has for subscribing, good for them!

Surely you're not that thin-skinned! There are no rules in my book—except being civil, which you most assuredly are. I know I've pissed off my share of forum posters. If I am wrong, I admit it. If an apology seems to me in order, I certainly apologize—for misapprehension, if nothing else.

As to bumping one’s own thread, I do it all the time; but, I usually have something I want to say in the process, as do you most times. I have not yet (I don't think) used the word “bump” as the only post on my own thread; but, so what—I might do it if sometime if I’m so inclined.

I agree with you about subscribing. I did it for one year and will again soon. And—when I was a subscriber, I often used the ability to prevent the “Edited by ...” line from appearing, particularly on posts where I was merely correcting grammar, misspellings and the like because I think it then misleads folks into thinking something of substance was changed when it wasn’t. I always turned on the “Edited by ...” line for any messages with substantial changes—though, even then, I would add an emphasized [EDIT: ...] of my own because of my own tendency to ignore the “Edited by ...” line in others’ posts due to its ubiquity.

So—quitcherbellyachin and continue to have fun! :P After all, your percentage of “like”s speaks for itself! ;)

...lee

• Like 1

Internet rule #1: Don't feed the trolls.

People who make negative disparaging remarks are looking for attention. There's something about their life that makes them unhappy, so they think everyone else should be unhappy, too. When you respond to their crap, they win. Such was the case in the downfall of the Yahoo dash group, people responded to Eric and Erik and made the place miserable for everyone.

So just follow rule #1 and be happy. This is a good place, enjoy it. :)

Gazoo

• Like 1

Internet rule #1: Don't feed the trolls.

People who make negative disparaging remarks are looking for attention. There's something about their life that makes them unhappy, so they think everyone else should be unhappy, too. When you respond to their crap, they win. Such was the case in the downfall of the Yahoo dash group, people responded to Eric and Erik and made the place miserable for everyone.

So just follow rule #1 and be happy. This is a good place, enjoy it. :)

Gazoo

I'm not sure I should fully agree. Mostly because I think the strong opinions could backfire. Obviously you must see a troll somewhere here.

Let me say that I think you were very much on the wrong end with "negative disparaging remarks" involving one member who then started a thread about him "leaving the community". Obviously there was a conflict going on, and things said were obviously "negative" at some point, whatever party an outsider might happen to agree with. And now you're suggesting that we should assume that one party, is simply trying to get attention, should be unhappy with their life and wanting everybody else to be unhappy ? Seriously ?

Would you really want me to bump 20 threads because it makes me happy - and then not think of any consequences ?

Edited by sometimes99er

I know I've pissed off my share of forum posters. If I am wrong, I admit it. If an apology seems to me in order, I certainly apologizefor misapprehension, if nothing else.

He he. From one troll to another. You certainly did not piss me one bit. I haven't visited "your thread" that much, but occasionally, and read with interest, and even commented, though I'm definitely "defined as" not into Forth. I've looked into it (Forth), find it interesting, but knowing Assembly (and a host of modern languages), it ended up being like crossing a bridge to fetch water. - I actually think I can program Forth, but I'm terrible at debugging the thing.

As to bumping ones own thread, I do it all the time; but, I usually have something I want to say in the process, as do you most times. I have not yet (I don't think) used the word bump as the only post on my own thread; but, so whatI might do it if sometime if Im so inclined.

To me there's a difference between "adding value" and simply to "bump". And it's easy to bump 5 or 20 threads if you want to. Is bumping 3 threads a day okay ? - Also it's relatively easy to "add value" (comments, questions, info, jokes etc.) to 10 threads a day if you want to. - I guess the definition about "bumping" is to move a thread to the top and then in consequence "moving everything else down" !? - I'm not bothered as such. I go here to see what's new, I go to a thread I consider interesting, and all it says is "bump" ... Maybe I'm being manipulated or wasting my time.

After all, your percentage of likes speaks for itself! ;)

Yeah, maybe I should start to focus on that and gather dozens of likes in threads like Wasting Your Life One Gif At A Time and other off topic stuff. I remember he said he was bored a some point. Well, now I'm bored, and I guess I should leave.

Edited by sometimes99er

It always saddens me when internet communications between intelligent adults are framed in what appears to be the most negative way possible. We're an international bunch with different cultural backgrounds, and we all communicate in our own specific ways.

So yeah, a pointed remark from a Dane (some of the most verbally direct people in the world) might come across a bit harsh to a Canadian (if I remember correctly Omega?) - a people that are known to be almost notoriously friendly. But really... if you step back I'm sure everyone will see it's not meant to be rude, it's meant to convey an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. Definitely not something I would hope a bunch of guys that are at least my age (and often 10 or more years older than me) get irked about.

For what it's worth, Belgians are known for trying to avoid confrontation, seeking middle ground and enabling compromises. So yeah, I just had to... :).

• Like 3

Rich carries some influence in the TI community, when his comments appear to belittle peoples choices, or make other items appear inferior, people may hold off from purchasing things and miss out on what is available now.

I like Canadians too.

And all I did was support bumping and subscribing - perhaps with a bit of humor and a nissehue. Happy Christmas everyone. - Well, if you do that sort of thing. Is it illegal to shoot aliens ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL7n5mEmXJo