IGNORED

Donkey Kong Junior homebrew for C64

Well, it looks like after all these years, a port of Donkey Kong Junior has finally graced the Commodore 64. And a fine port indeed it is. It was released over on CSDb, and announced here in its forums. I just found the news tonight myself.

Here's a youtube video of the game in action on an NTSC C64.

• Like 3

Looks great - sounds good. Being a port of the 7800 version means, in part, they retained the Japan board order instead of the US based one (For better or worse). All four board graphics appear enhanced over the Arcade originals look having a more 'realistic' interpretation. Almost something I would expect from a Gameboy Advanced/DX/Special edition of the game. Impressive stuff… Honestly though, I'm on the fence as to whether I am liking more the enhancement over the Arcade look, or rather they would've tried to nail the Arcade graphics as close as possible.

The score area is indeed the Arcade look; love when ports retain that aspect, gives it a certain polish, IMHO. However, it unfortunately appears pretty much cut-off/out in NTSC land under real hardware. Overall, it plays very well; gameplay is very much like the Arcade. Biggest complaint, as with the 7800 version this is derived from, is the bounding box/area on the second/vine board with the egg is just as frustrating in its over-reaching detection. Nitpickers and even more so the Snapjaws are handled beautifully. I'm finicky when it comes to the size and total area a Snapjaw occupies, and they nailed the proportions perfectly in porting this over. Really would have loved to see the full animated end of level/saving Kong scene with the kick-off (I.E. Arcade, Coleco Adam DDP), instead of retaining just Junior holds Kong high only (I.E. NES, Atari 7800)

Nonetheless, really excellent work! Kudos all around...No doubt, will be hailed as one of the best home ports available and truly long overdue...It's great to finally have a port on the C64; especially one handled so exceptionally well. Leaves me somewhat salivating at the thought of how their version of Donkey Kong would be presented on the C64.

• Like 1

I gotta ask: How does one get this game?

I see there was a free download of this made available last Saturday. Missed it obviously... anyone able to forward?

'Soft' copy here.

Trained/Cheats for those who may need help with the game are available too.

Same site, just search the game name. One such 'cheat'/trained version is here.

• Like 3

Looks awesome! Wish I had a zoomfloppy or uied/sd I could get for cheap! Or what's the cheapest and easiest way to get a copy to play on a C64? Help please!

If you have a 1581 drive, you can probably just create a d81 image and write it to a 3.5" floppy, either that or an XA cable. I have both, but I'm not the XA cable would work with my PC with XP (no direct access to the hardware).

I finally got a chance to play with it and I couldn't get it to work on CCS64 and after some fiddling around, I got it to work on VICE, so I saved it as a save file so I know it will work next time on the emulator. Haven't tried it on real hardware yet though. Overall, I think it is a pretty good port

• 4 weeks later...