IGNORED

Disabling 3rd Party DRM (Uplay)

ydcl

Hey all,

I bought some time ago on a Steam sale Far Cry 3 and Bloodragon, but never played it because I refuse to use Origin or Uplay. I was unaware that those games required it when I bought it through Steam.

Is there any way to install them without having to make an account with Ubisoft?

I'm sick and tired of companies forcing me to make an account for every game nowadays! I had to make a PS4 account, then a EA account so I could play FIFA 14!! (I understand having a ps4 account)

What happened to the good old days of just installing the game and playing??? And don't get me started on companies releasing 10 day one DLC that could have already been included in the game!!! And 15GB day one patches!!!!!

HORSE ARMOR DLC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fancy new jacket DLC!!!!!!!!!!! New song DLC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Install this app on your tablet so you can open the Assassins Creed loot chest on the PS4!!!!!!!!!!

:(

• Like 2

Yeah, I can't stand DRM or DLC either, and I won't buy any PC games that have restrictive DRM. Steam is bad enough, and I look forward to the day that goes away and I lose the library of Steam games I have purchased over the years. And the DLC is ridiculous, both on consoles and PC.

Ubisoft's gone off the deep end with Assassin's Creed Unity, as well..

..Al

• Like 6

Cracks, just like in the 8bit days.

Very labor and thought intensive. It's more than just editing a few sectors on a 143k floppy. I'm not sure how many of today's gamers are going to get into cracking with all this online stuff in the way, server simulations, null passwords, and all that.

Yeah, I can't stand DRM or DLC either, and I won't buy any PC games that have restrictive DRM. Steam is bad enough, and I look forward to the day that goes away and I lose the library of Steam games I have purchased over the years. And the DLC is ridiculous, both on consoles and PC.

Ubisoft's gone off the deep end with Assassin's Creed Unity, as well..

..Al

And yet, the games are selling like hotcakes. Better than ever! Isn't gaming something like a 22 billion dollar industry? Or is it 62 billion?

On another note, since I do all kinds of IT stuff for the local neighborhood. A little girl asked why an online flash game in the browser was running slow. And I said it's because of the internet, a glitch on the line, very busy. And she said your games don't slow down and pause. And I said that's because they are all local and stored in the computer. They don't need the internet. And she got all bug-eyed and said YOU CAN DO THAT?? WOW!!! I wanna do that too!!

So games without DRM and DLC and internet accounts are potentially appealing to all ages. What's old is new again.

Edited by Keatah

Very labor and thought intensive. It's more than just editing a few sectors on a 143k floppy. I'm not sure how many of today's gamers are going to get into cracking with all this online stuff in the way, server simulations, null passwords, and all that.

And yet, the games are selling like hotcakes. Better than ever! Isn't gaming something like a 22 billion dollar industry? Or is it 62 billion?

On another note, since I do all kinds of IT stuff for the local neighborhood. A little girl asked why an online flash game in the browser was running slow. And I said it's because of the internet, a glitch on the line, very busy. And she said your games don't slow down and pause. And I said that's because they are all local and stored in the computer. They don't need the internet. And she got all bug-eyed and said YOU CAN DO THAT?? WOW!!! I wanna do that too!!

So games without DRM and DLC and internet accounts are potentially appealing to all ages. What's old is new again.

Real simple. You unzip the junk to the folder. Let's not pretend the end user has to cook it up themself.

It does irritate me how pirated copies of new games are better from an ease of use standpoint than the officially purchased products.

I buy all of my PC games on Steam and Ubisoft games especially irritate me because of the whole uPlay thing. They aren't exactly providing a good case to those who pirate games to go legit now, are they?

I remember years ago being booted off Assassin's Creed 2 which is a single player only game occasionally because it couldn't connect to the server for 30 seconds or so...

Square Enix seem to be doing a similar thing with their Final Fantasy Steam releases, but at least these offer a fully functional offline mode and its not as intrusive as uPlay DRM, but I would still rather they just stick to Steam's DRM which seems to be enough for most games...

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 2

It does irritate me how pirated copies of new games are better from an ease of use standpoint than the officially purchased products.

Yep, that is the sad joke of PC gaming, sadly. Paying customers have to jump through more hoops to play their games than cracked versions that remove annoying DRM.

I buy all of my PC games on Steam and Ubisoft games especially irritate me because of the whole uPlay thing. They aren't exactly providing a good case to those who pirate games to go legit now, are they?

I won't buy any games that require uPlay, Origin, or any other such things. I have yet to create accounts on any of these other systems--the only PC-related service for which I have an account for is Steam.

I remember years ago being booted off Assassin's Creed 2 which is a single player only game occasionally because it couldn't connect to the server for 30 seconds or so...

Yes, that's utterly ridiculous, and I absolutely will not buy any PC games with such shenanigans (on top of what Steam already does).

..Al

• Like 3

Half Life II was the last PC game I considered purchasing. When my co-workers started having issues with the DRM I had no regrets keeping my money.

Yep, I ran into problems trying to play Half Life 2 as well. After I did get it running, I then discovered that the game was unplayable on my computer due to a weird audio bug. After I spent a considerable amount of time trying to rectify it (even swapping out various hardware in my computer, such as the video and audio cards), I was not able to remedy the problem. I ended up with a game I could not play, could not return, and could not even sell or give away to someone else. This soured me big time on Steam, and DRM in general, and it was years before I actively started using Steam again.

Steam is the limit of what I will tolerate with DRM. Anything beyond that and I simply won't buy or play it. It's not like I have a shortage of games across various platforms to play. To say nothing of other forms of entertainment.

All this uncle scrooge misery greedy shiz like DLC and pay to win.. when all they really need to do is loosen the restrictions to get back their customer base.

I'm not sure the game industry will every change--they seem much worse than the music, TV and video industries as far as DRM goes (and at least music is now DRM-free).

..Al

• Like 2

I won't buy any games that require uPlay, Origin, or any other such things. I have yet to create accounts on any of these other systems--the only PC-related service for which I have an account for is Steam.

To be honest, I'm a fool for even buying into it twice (Assassin's Creed 2 and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon). Ubisoft seems to be the absolute worst for this kind of DRM.

I can understand if its a constantly connected MMORPG game but I don't see why these kinds of DRM should be used at all for single player only games.

Thankfully so far this seems to be limited to the biggest AAA titles, I enjoy playing a lot of the more niche modern games like the Serious Sam games and various indie games. Good old Games really has the right idea, having no DRM at all which is nice, but the selection is limited.

AAA game vendors know they can get away with it simply because many people buy these games based on the names alone...

I can understand if its a constantly connected MMORPG game but I don't see why these kinds of DRM should be used at all for single player only games.

The point is to get mmorpg-level control over all your games. That's why publishers are increasingly trying to force multiplayer aspects into traditionally single player games, then forcing the online connection regardless of if playing it single player or not.

• Like 1

I honestly don't mind Uplay except for the constant updates. I got a free and unique handgun to use in Far Cry 3 singleplayer because of the point system or whatever it's called. But if Uplay is just a big hassle to you, just play offline after the activation. I honestly don't know why more people won't do that instead of avoiding some great games on PC. I've had no problems playing my Uplay games offline after whatever online activation through Uplay or Steam. When I play offline I don't have to deal with Uplay updating itself all the time which is my biggest gripe if I just want to play the game. I just ran Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon offline through Steam and offline Uplay and it took me less than a minute before the game starts to load. No annoying Uplay updates, the game just starts to load after you click the offline option button.

EDIT

I just now tried going offline on Origin to play the Battlefield 3 singleplayer and I had no problems either. I was able to get to the in game main menu under a minute. I also want to mention I was also already offline before I started Origin, Steam, and Uplay. Someone posted online somewhere that you have to be online first to activate offline mode for Steam and that is not the case.

Edited by xenomorpher

My issues are particular to Trials Fusion and how the game was implemented. The game is basically a leaderboard game and they made it so you had to be online for it to save your best scores and ghost bikes. This might have been acceptable except when they released Watch Dogs the volume of players for that game managed to kill their whole network. Trials Fusion became unplayable for a week because I couldn't login all due to some other game I didn't even own or care to play. Well that and before Ubisoft bought Red Lynx the previous game allowed players to download user made tracks and play them offline. Now all of the user made tracks are hosted "in the cloud".