IGNORED

Vectrex-Permanent Eye Damage?

adamchevy

It's the same electron beam shooting out of a regular CRT TV, so if it did cause damage, millions (maybe billions) of people would have vision problems from watching TV.

Although, I suppose if it was malfunctioning like many Vectrexes do, and the beam was always shooting straight out of the center, and on full brightness, it's possible the light could be bright enough to do damage if you kept staring at it...

• Like 2

Although, I suppose if it was malfunctioning like many Vectrexes do, and the beam was always shooting straight out of the center, and on full brightness, it's possible the light could be bright enough to do damage if you kept staring at it...

Like the sun.

• Like 1

I tried a ton of search terms for vector displays and eye/retinal damage. Nothing yet. This is definitely an article that would have to substantiate its claim.

Personally, I've spent so much time starting at the Vectrex and other vector display systems that I should be blind if it's really as bad as the article makes it out to be.

As for the 'video games and cancer" article, well, that's more about CRTs and EMFs, as far as I can tell (which is a huge and complex topic). If people fear CRTs, they can always consider flat-panels instead.

• Like 1

I tried a ton of search terms for vector displays and eye/retinal damage. Nothing yet. This is definitely an article that would have to substantiate its claim.

Personally, I've spent so much time starting at the Vectrex and other vector display systems that I should be blind if it's really as bad as the article makes it out to be.

As for the 'video games and cancer" article, well, that's more about CRTs and EMFs, as far as I can tell (which is a huge and complex topic). If people fear CRTs, they can always consider flat-panels instead.

I did the same and found nothing reliable. That's why I asked the question on AtariAge. Of course, it must be British Sarcasm.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing some vectrex surfing on the interweb and I came across this article:

http://www.theukmortgageshop.com/uk-mortgage/a-look-at-a-vectrex-1982-video-game-console

Does anyone know if the vectrex really causes permanent retina damage?

I think that's just click bait to con users into going that site. Giving some of the replies here, it seem to have worked.

• Like 1