IGNORED

Simple 16Mhz booster kits for sale , pre-order

exxosuk

For those who want to gain a boost in speed on your STFM without too much work, the kit is now on sale for pre-order.

All the information is located here http://exxos.www.idnet.com/IMPULSE/atari/last/v1booster/index.htm and can be ordered from my webstore here http://exxos.www.idnet.com/IMPULSE/atari/last/store.htm

Currently the kits are supplied with 16MHz CPU until I run out of stock of them. Afterwards the kit will be sold without CPU and will require you to obtain your own and fit it to the CPU yourself.

All proceeds from sales are pumped back into my development fund. In case anyone has not seen my 16Mhz booster pages, then please check them out as I am working on more powerful upgrades with the help of others.

• Like 1

Great stuff!!! It's well worth getting one of these if you are die hard ST fan. For the record, I've tested well over 300 games and I've only found a couple that have issues with 16Mhz - Operation Wolf, and Cabal. Op Wolf crashes as the game starts, and Cabal has some wierd collision detection bug. Switching back to 8Mhz obviously sorts those games so it's not a problem anyway. You get nice speed boost in decompression etc. Wings of Death decompressed a lot faster as do other games using compression. Gives a much snappier feel to a lot of games - so it doesn't make them run too fast, they just feel smoother. I did some side by side tests which I've not uploaded yet, and games using 3D etc tend to be 20 to 30% faster, so it's not mega noticeable but does result in a much better all round experience.

When coupled with a Blitter and additional RAM the ST runs great with this mod =) GEM is a lot more responsive, it's actually pleasant to use.

If you get one of these and decide to make it switchable, you can use my utility here to show the clock speed on boot. I just stick it in the auto folder. It only works with TOS <= 1.04 though. I tried higher versions of TOS but my utility crashes due to linking / alignment issue in STOS. I will rewrite it in C at some point in future.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tzspy5wdppflqr/CPU.PRG?dl=0

Hi Exxos, just wondering how easy that additional wire is to solder in with a Marpet memory upgrade sitting on the shifter? I'm loathe to take it out given the unreliability of those socketed upgrades. My 68k is socketed so this will be a doddle to fit otherwise. Will you be doing one with cache in future?

I can't see it making any difference,you can either solder to pin 39 of shifter or do as i did on my install instructions and solder to the resistor instead.

Thanks Ron, I think I saw the pcb for adspeed somewhere, assume that one is just a simple 16mhz switcher like my board ? Mine you have to unsolder the 68000 as the old CPU isn't fast enough to run at 16mhz. Though with the new CPU and kit installed it takes up pretty much no room at all.

Yep, posted it over at Atari Forum, probably in a couple of places.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "simple 16mhz switcher"?

You'd be more qualified to make that call than me. :)

Here's a couple of grabs from the Adspeed manual:

HTHs.

That states it has cache. Though from what I see from doing a search on google images, there seems to have a really small version (like the one you posted) and a much larger version which is the one I presume has the cache on.

I am building up the kits today. So should be able to start shipping in a few days :)

I have 18 kits built but only about 12 16mhz CPUs left. So once my stock of CPU's has gone, people will have to take a gamble and source them elsewhere. I did get about 50 pcbs made so I can make up more kits in the future if there is demand. Though again, any future batches will be supplied without the CPU, and of course the pcb only price will be cheaper.

That states it has cache. Though from what I see from doing a search on google images, there seems to have a really small version (like the one you posted) and a much larger version which is the one I presume has the cache on.

Not seen the larger version myself, but my Adspeed has the onboard cache.

I think the Amiga version used a larger PCB...

Yeah, I tried to make contact with TUS who made the Veloce, he still seems to be about doing PC repairs last time I checked some years ago, though i emailed and wrote to him with no luck a few times over the years. Its a shame when people like TUS do great stuff then just vanish along with the hardware. It just makes new developments take 10 times as long, basically because people like me have to re-invent the basic stuff from scratch all the time and then build upon that.

I am building up the kits today. So should be able to start shipping in a few days :)

I have 18 kits built but only about 12 16mhz CPUs left. So once my stock of CPU's has gone, people will have to take a gamble and source them elsewhere. I did get about 50 pcbs made so I can make up more kits in the future if there is demand. Though again, any future batches will be supplied without the CPU, and of course the pcb only price will be cheaper.

What a time to have a cash shortage on my part.. :(