IGNORED

What is your PRIMARY CARTRIDGE?

Omega-TI

What is your PRIMARY CARTRIDGE?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which Extended BASIC cartridges do you own? (If any)

• TI Extended BASIC
    • Extended BASIC 2.7 Suite
    • Rich Extended BASIC
    • OTHER (Please specify in comment section below)
  2. 2. Which Editor Assembler cartridges do you own? (If any)

• TI Editor Assembler (Unmodified)
    • TI Editor Assembler (SuperCart type)
  3. 3. What cartridge do you leave in your machine or use most of the time?

• Your PRIMARY XB Variant
    • Your PRIMARY EA Variant
    • Forth Variant
    • Mini Memory
    • Game Cartridge (Please specify in comment section below)
    • Educational Cartridge (Please specify in comment section below)
    • Combined Cartridge XB/EA
  4. 4. What is your PRIMARY Extended BASIC cartridge?

• TI Extended BASIC
    • Rich Extended BASIC
  5. 5. What is your PRIMARY E/A Cartridge

• TI Editor Assembler (Unmodified)
    • TI Editor Assembler (SuperCart type)
  6. 6. Did you UPGRADE to your PRIMARY cartridge in the last four months?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

post-29677-0-23544900-1412279240_thumb.g

I've begun to accept the reality that most folks browsing this forum actively ignore anything to do with Forth. I do plan to start working on posting examples of fbForth in action after I get my promised manual updates finished. @Willsy, however, has been doing that for a long time. Oh, well...

...lee

From a strictly marketing perspective, I'd highlight NON-technical aspects that users could relate to and would personally benefit from.

If people 'feel' that it's as dry as assembly language programming, their eyes might glaze over. If they feel that it's hard, 'wordy' or that they'll have to memorize a gazillion things to be proficient, they may never even look at it.

I'm ignorant about both variants of Forth, so I'm useless in this endeavor, but a couple of suggestions:

1) Create a NON-technical PDF file (advertising style) with lots of examples, like the 80 column aspect, because that's something the average guy cannot do in XB.

2) Make a disk image with example programs that a person can just load up from a menu and run in Classic99. You'll probably also want to include instructions in the PDF file on how to go about loading it up too. Remember, some people do not want to ask 'stupid questions', but since your target audience is newbies, you'll have to 'walk them through it'.

3) Include a link in the PDF to a program library for Forth. They may not want to program at first, but if it has some useful utilities, or games, they just might buy if for those... and get into programming later, just like Extended BASIC sucked so many of us in all those years ago.

Once people get a 'feel for it', and see that there are programs for it, or that it looks simple enough for them to use, and that it's actively used and supported, they may be more willing to go further. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

Wow! It seems that @Willsy’s and my Forth cartridges really are invisible! :P His TurboForth has been available for several years and my fbForth for six months (binary), with the physical cartridge (released at the Chicago Faire) available for about a month (See this forum’s topic, fbForth—TI Forth with File-based Block I/O—now, with a FONT EDITOR):

post-29677-0-23544900-1412279240_thumb.g

I've begun to accept the reality that most folks browsing this forum actively ignore anything to do with Forth. I do plan to start working on posting examples of fbForth in action after I get my promised manual updates finished. @Willsy, however, has been doing that for a long time. Oh, well...

...lee

My bad, very sorry, I think that fbForth label looks cool. -- I got some bare boards from hexbus with blank eproms, what size do I need to make one myself, or is there a place to order one from, sadly I don't get out to the chicago show for a while now, being stuck in DR.

I think also that fbForth topic should be made a STICKY, major programming ones like that, XB 2.7, and RXB threads should be on the TOP page of forum, as rarely I ever click on the second page of topics listed, and had not noticed that thread for while, until today when a new post got added to it.

My bad, very sorry, I think that fbForth label looks cool. -- I got some bare boards from hexbus with blank eproms, what size do I need to make one myself, or is there a place to order one from, sadly I don't get out to the chicago show for a while now, being stuck in DR.

I think also that fbForth topic should be made a STICKY, major programming ones like that, XB 2.7, and RXB threads should be on the TOP page of forum, as rarely I ever click on the second page of topics listed, and had not noticed that thread for while, until today when a new post got added to it.

No prob. I can make you a cartridge or you can make your own. You need a 32KB EPROM (27C256), which requires at least the 64K Guidry board (I don't think any 32K boards were made). (I think Greg (@arcadeshopper) has available on his website some 512K boards that Jim (@Ksarul) made. The binary, cartridge info, manual, etc. are all kept pretty much up to date in post #1 of the fbForth thread.

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart

It isn't too shabby. I used to like to harrass my buddies with a PC by going from a cold boot into the F'WEB editor with two keypresses (and about 10 seconds) and challenging them to do the same on their PC.

Only one keypress for me (I). I have Funnelweb configured to go right to the editor when it loads. Just timed it at 7 seconds. :)

Gazoo

gallery_29515_833_34954.jpg

gallery_29515_833_28683.jpg

• Like 1