IGNORED

Apple IIgs memory upgrade options?

eebuckeye

First Off, the Apple ][e only came standard with 128K, so a ][GS has more than enough for 8 bit Apple Software.

I have seen a Minimum of 1MB or RAM recommended for the 16 Bit GSOS. ( see "Getting into Apple IIGS", Post #23 )

An Apple 1MB card in addition to the 256K on the ROM01 Main Board would meet that minimum.

There are used, 1MB cards on eBay, usually with the standard 256K installed. Extra RAM can be purchased on the Internet.

Personally, I have 4 of these cards.

There is a new, 4MB Card from GGLabs. and I believe these are still available from Briel Computers too.

MarkO

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to contact both of the places listed (GGLabs and Briel) with no response.. bummer..

Don't give up yet...

There are Two eBay Auctions at this moment:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Meg-Memory-Card-for-the-Apple-IIGS-GS-C-V-Technologies-Rev-B-/141495932942?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20f1d0980e

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sequential-Systems-4-MB-RAM-Card-for-the-Apple-IIGS-Cleaned-Tested-/151492368167?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2345a61727

Also, Reactive-Micro is designing a new ][gs Memory Card. But won't be available for a while.. ( Technical Issues... )

MarkO

I am having difficulties running GSOS 6 with 1MB.

Well 1MB is the minimum for GSOS 6. Although if you have a ROM 03 rather than a 1 it will help speed things up due to more on-board memory and newer system tools built in.

Is it just slow or do things not work?

It will not finish booting.. the GSOS 6 images I have are said to require more than 1MB of memory. I do have ROM 1.

It should run on 1MB + the 256K built into the ROM 1. Although if you're trying to run it from disks with that little memory it's not going to be very usable. If you want to use 6.0.1 then get a hard drive, otherwise stick to 5.4.

Here's a 6MB RAM card (unpopulated) currently priced at $10.50: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331411041613

6MB is an insane amount of memory for the IIgs. Way more than needed unless you're doing some serious application work.

4MB cards are usually pricey, there's no way this one will stay that low. If you can snag it though it will serve you well.

I have a bunch as well. I'm not sure I want to be in for that much soldering, though!

I assembled these two units from Circuit Boards and a Hand Full of components..

Including my time, it might be cheaper then bidding on and winning a 4MB Card..

MarkO

Edited by MarkO