IGNORED

Lotherek

Shift838

Has anyone figured out if you can mount 2 separate disk images on the Lotherek at the same time for DSK1 and DSK2 ? The docs do not state yes or no, but do state you can setup the device up as DSK1 and DSk2. So I am wondering if you can mount the images at the same time in order to access both drives without having to switch images or do you need to have 2 separate Lotherek devices.

Chris

I finally got an answer from the Lotherek creator himself:

>> 1. Will the Lotharek support DS/DD @ 80 tracks, I have been told it

>> would require a special config file.

>

> Not sure what you call a "special config file", but in fact you just

> need a file image able this kind of densisty.

>

>> 2. The documentatation references the ability to use one Lotharek as

>> drive 1 and drive 2, however it does not state if the Lotharek can

>> have both images mounted at the same time. So if I have a program

>> running on drive 1 and it makes a call to a text file on Drive 2 if

>> it will work in this manner?

>

> exactly!

I finally got an answer from the Lotherek creator himself:

>> 1. Will the Lotharek support DS/DD @ 80 tracks, I have been told it

>> would require a special config file.

>

> Not sure what you call a "special config file", but in fact you just

> need a file image able this kind of densisty.

Okay, I'm assuming you already have a DSDD 80 track controller and card correct?

Do you also have an HDX card? If so....

1) Format a blank DSDD 80 track diskette using one of your REAL drives.

2) Use DSK2PC and send a copy of the BLANK diskette to the PC.

3) Run the conversion routine with the Lotharek software on the file.

4) Copy this finished BLANK .HFE file as many times as you like.

5) Change the PC disk names to whatever you like.

6) Copy these files to the SD card you plan to use on the Lotharek device. (They are your virtual diskettes).

I believe AFTYDE on the Yahoo group uses an 80 track DSDD Myarc controller card and he is having no issues with his Lotharek. You might contact him for more information or to get a copy of one of his virtual diskettes to get you started.

Good Luck

Thanks. I am still trying to get an exact procedure from Lotherek of mounting both images for DSK1 and DSK2 at the same time. Does not seem like anyone in the TI world has done it that way, but they say it can be done.

And yes, I do have a Myarc DS/DD 80 track FDC.

Chris

O_O I done it :D its super easy too:

Set jumpers ID0A and ID1A both to on, all other jumpers should be off

then turn on P-Box

The lotherek will be on drive A, set your floppy image you want on this drive

Once that's done hold down center button to get to options

Select change drive

Select drive B

Set the floppy image you want on drive B

And presto you have 2 emulated drives in one :)

• Like 2

Thanks for getting me to figure this out now my TI is that much more awesome ;)

You're now the resident expert on the Lotharek! Thanks for taking the time to mess with it and figure it out.

This would be kind of nice to do, but I'd have to find a way to temporarily switch off my real DSK2. Another alternative would be to set the drive up as DSK3, but the new chips in the controller card are setup as 80/80/40 so I'd lose half the space, making DSK3 incompatible with the HxC's 80 track format. Maybe someday a new DSQD 80 track controller will be released capable of 4 or 6 drives?

This sure opens up a lot for people running only a single unit. They can now have dedicated data disks for Multiplan, BA-Writer or for downloading new files from the BBS without messing up their program disks... and getting more future "Rasmus Games" on a single disk as they'll no longer have to share space with other stuff.

You're now the resident expert on the Lotharek! Thanks for taking the time to mess with it and figure it out.

This would be kind of nice to do, but I'd have to find a way to temporarily switch off my real DSK2. Another alternative would be to set the drive up as DSK3, but the new chips in the controller card are setup as 80/80/40 so I'd lose half the space, making DSK3 incompatible with the HxC's 80 track format. Maybe someday a new DSQD 80 track controller will be released capable of 4 or 6 drives?

This sure opens up a lot for people running only a single unit. They can now have dedicated data disks for Multiplan, BA-Writer or for downloading new files from the BBS without messing up their program disks... and getting more future "Rasmus Games" on a single disk as they'll no longer have to share space with other stuff.

If you don't need to use 40 track disks anymore, why don't you just get the chipset to make your TI controller all 80 track?

You could even still read and write 40 track disks safely, as long as they were single sided. The second side of a 40 track disk would not be accessed correctly.

Gazoo

Omega, you can set jumpers ID0A and ID2A to on and all others off. Then the Lotherek emulates drives 1&3 but as you said you'd only be able to use 40 track disks on drive 3

Hey, that's BAD ASS! I'll do it later on in the week when I open up the P-Box to put in my 'new toy' (once it arrives). A little extra space is just the thing... especially when it does not even cost you a dime.

You know, I always thought the Lotharek was a good deal, but now, when it behaves like TWO drives... that's kind of a no brainer!

• Like 1

If you don't need to use 40 track disks anymore, why don't you just get the chipset to make your TI controller all 80 track?

You could even still read and write 40 track disks safely, as long as they were single sided. The second side of a 40 track disk would not be accessed correctly.

Gazoo

Hmm, how did I miss this message? Thanks Gazoo. When I bought my chips originally that was not an option I was offered, otherwise I would have done it then. I'll probably do that in the future, and then transfer the old chips into my backup box. I've bought too many new toys this month though and I still have to do my Xmas shopping for others. So it's down on my list a little.

Hmm, how did I miss this message? Thanks Gazoo. When I bought my chips originally that was not an option I was offered, otherwise I would have done it then. I'll probably do that in the future, and then transfer the old chips into my backup box. I've bought too many new toys this month though and I still have to do my Xmas shopping for others. So it's down on my list a little.

It's always been an option, since 7-15-2001. Reading the docs and asking for the correct chips is required, though. :)

You'll just have to change one of your chips to go all 80 track.

Gazoo

• Like 1

**EDIT**

You might want to ask Gazoo, I think he's the man on this one.

It looks like they are indeed available.

Ah! I only put my order into atrax27407 yesterday for the 80/80/40.........hopefully I'll be able to catch him before they're shipped out........

After looking at both Rev F and then Rev C of this device, they both have the same docs and one just seems to be the same size as a 3.5 drive footprint and could be mounted in the PEB.

Where REV C is smaller and cheaper. So if someone is trying to save a few dollars and get the same functionality REV C may be the better option.

I have not decided which one I want yet, so I need to think about that one. I like REV F as it fits perfect with a 3.5 drive bay adapter into the 5.25 1/2 height slot.

Decisions.. Decisions.