IGNORED

Bliss-box is now on KS

ulao

1651c11a12a80d559b4135a30cc8cb56_large.p

Hey AtariAge, after a long effort I finaly made it to production. For those that do not know the Bliss-box prodcut "4-play" is a modular controller adapter for both the modern and retro gamers connecting all your favorite console controllers (up to four at once) to a computer.

KS link here

Edited by ulao
  • Like 3

I'm not associated, but I've bought a few of his single devices over the years and I really want his 4-player universal device. His single GC USB box does a Wavebird flawlessly without any lag. SKUNX's previous devices were relatively expensive and large, but unmatched in quality AFAICT. He was the first to make a USB 3D Saturn controller possible. Even Mayflash and BOOM couldn't do it. Given his tenacity and qualifications, I really want his new device to come out.

• Like 1

4-Play Review
Background Information

I just wanted to provide a little background information about why I'm doing this review. I originally purchased four Bliss-Boxes several years ago at $100 a piece to allow my wife and I as well as our children play games together. These were the first four Bliss-Boxes that were ever made which is why they look a little rough around the edges. I recently found out about the Kickstarter campaign and contacted the developer to ask if I could demo the hand built proto-type he showed off in his video. He accepted my request and sent me the prototype to test out and post a review about. So, I hope you enjoy the review.

What is a Bliss-Box and 4-Play?

Bliss-Box was the original PC to USB Adapter that was made to connect a variety of video game controllers to your computer. These were boxes custom built to order and made by hand in a garage. He even had to mold plastic sometimes if a suitable connector wasn’t readily available. Here is an example of one of the original Bliss-Boxes I bought several years ago. The only limitation was you had to buy 1 Bliss-Box per controller being used, so if you were playing a 4 player N64 game, you would be required to have 4 Bliss-Boxes. The image below is one of the Bliss-Boxes I bought several years ago. It’s a little rough around the edges but it gets the job done.

blissbox_front.jpg

blissbox_top.jpg

blissbox_left.jpg

blissbox_right.jpg

The 4-Play is commercialized version of the Bliss-Box with the added bonus of being able to connect and use 4 controllers at once. This is basically like having 4 Bliss-Boxes in one small adapter.The smaller compact size was accomplished by using HMDI input (controller connects to the 4-play via an HDMI cable) instead of having an adapter for each controller mounted on the box. It’s a much smarter design. Please note the image below is of the proto-type (case & circuit board) that I’m doing this review on. This product is still subject to change in color and design.

board_case.jpg

Here is a closer look at the circuit board

board.jpg

board_2.jpg

For being a proto-type, everything appears to be very professionally done and manufactured with quality products. I saw a few comments on some of the forums advising that the 4-Play looks cheap and appears to be made in china. After holding and testing the 4-Play, I have to disagree. It feels like a solid product. It’s not too heavy but it feels sturdy to the point where if I happened to drop it on my tile floor, I don’t think it would break.

What kind of controller ports does the 4-Play support?

cords_1.jpg

• PC-FX
• SNES
• Wii Remote Expansion Port (Nunchuck, Classic Controller, etc.)
• NES

cords_2.jpg

• Game Cube
• Saturn
• Nintendo 64
• Turbo grafix 16

cords_3.jpg

• Dream cast
• PC engine (6 button turbo gafix 16)
• Pippin
• PlayStation (1 and 2)

cords_4.jpg

• Vectrex
• DB9 (Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, Atari 2600, etc.)
• Jaguar
• DH15 (Atari 5200, Neo Geo, etc.)

Please note that the Virtual Boy port is also supported by the 4-Play, however I did not receive that cable so I was unable to show a picture of it.

The cables and connectors are very solid and indistinguishable from those found on the actual consoles. If you are a completest and require 4 or each type of controller you are looking at 68 total cables (4 players x 17 cables). If you are concerned how much space this will take up in your home, then I have some good news for you. All 68 cables and 4-Play adapter can easily fit in a small shoe box.

case_cable.jpg

How well does this device work on the computer and was it easy to use?

I was very impressed with how easy the product was to use. You literally just plug your controller into HDMI cable adapter which plugs into the 4-Play, then plug the 4-Play into a USB port on your computer and that’s it. You have afully functional game pad. You will still need to set the input selections in an emulator just like you would with any other gamepad. See the below example of how to do this.

• In Kega Fusion, select “Options” then “Set Config”
• Navigate to the “Controllers” tab and change port 1 from “Keyboard” to “Bliss-Box”
• Click the “Define” button to input the controls (↑↓←→ A B C X Y Z Mode & Start)
• Click on the “Apply” & “OK” buttons

That’s it, you are good to go! Each emulator has its own method of selecting inputs so the set up will be slightly different based on the emulator you are using.

Please see the video below for a demonstration of me using the 4-Play with an emulator. In the video, you will see me showing off the auto-pausing functionality, hot swapping controllers, as well as verifying the updater and that fact that it supports multi-player without any special requirements. I apologize about the quality of the video, this was the first review I’ve ever done. I realize the TV is hard to see, but you can still see the characters moving on screen when I’m using the controllers.

What controllers did you test?[/center]
After the video was done, I tested out all the controllers listed below just to see how well it handled different official and third party controllers. I was impressed because they all worked perfectly. I didn’t have issues with any of the controllers seen in the image below.

controllers.jpg

• NES
• Super Nintendo (Official & third party version)
• Nintendo 64
• GameCube (Original and Wavebrid version)
• PlayStation 2 (Original and Street Fighter version)
• Sega Genesis (Official 3 button, Official 6 button, 3 other third party versions)
• Sega Saturn
• Sega Dreamcast (Official US, Official PAL, & third party version)
• Neo Geo
• PC-FX
• Also pictured are the original 4 original Bliss-Boxes that I purchased, just so you can see how much the product has evolved

Pros:

• Very small compact size compared to the original
• Allows 4 controllers to be connected at once
• It’s ready to use right out of the box, no special software required with the exception of firmware updates
• Auto-pause if controller is disconnected
• Hot swapping capabilities
• Easily upgradable via firmware update
• Future proof /expandable (all that is required is a new cable and a firmware update)
• Each port is independently upgradable so they can run different firmware’s if needed
• Price - at $125 for the full package and all the cables this is a steal compared to the $400 it would cost to buy 4 Bliss-Boxes
• Supports complex features like
-- PS2's pressure sensitive buttons
-- Force Feedback
-- Communication with Dreamcast LCD screen (currently, no emulators support this… yet)

Cons:

The 4-play has a reset button that is next to the HDMI port. The reset button is hard to find because it’s very well hidden. I had to contact the 4-Play developer to find out where it was located. It’s only used to reset the device if you’re controller isn’t recognized or if you are upgrading the firmware. Once you locate it, it becomes a non-issue. I spoke with the developer about this and they advise it will be more clearly labeled on the final product.

In order for this product to be manufactured / mass produced, the Kickstater campaign has to reach $150,000. If you are reading this review I making the assumption you have or are looking for a USB adapter. If that’s the case, then I strongly recommend this over product over other products based on its versatility, price, usability (no software), and quality. If you have any questions or need any clarifications about anything in this review, please let me know.

Links:

Kickstarter
Bliss-Box / 4-Play Homepage
High Resolution images from this post can be downloaded here
Controller Compatibility List
Button Layout / Configuration

4-play_PCFX.jpg

Thank you for the responses. When he sent me the device to test, he stressed the fact that this is a prototype and is still subject to change in color and design. So, if you are interested in the 4-play and the only thing holding you back is the design, you should email the developer and voice your opinions so he knows what people are saying about it.

The more I think about how it will be used in real life the more it needs to resemble a pass-through layout. PC connection in back, controller cables in front. Simple straight through look and feel.

But the star layout simply has gotta go. It feels like an artsy-fartsy form-over-function exercise by a 1st year design student. Reminds me of the half-melted rounded styles of the late 1990's where you couldn't stack anything on anything.

Regarding the dongles, they could be tolerable *if* they're made from good materials.

• Like 1

Hello all, I'm the author. As for the size and cables... this was made to appeal to the common demand. I personaly like the one box ports mount up front look too but many disagree. The shape was to conserve space and the manifactures idea. We are gathering info on the critismn. The cables are near indisctrutable. A full grown man could easly hang from them. Changing the shape to an all in front at this time would cost a bit, so the funraising must go though on that first. I wish KS has an opinion poll.

As for the single play, relitivly no design time or money will be spent. It's the same thing but a smaller box where the universle port is on the front, usb on back. It would be easy to allow the boxes to link togoether (form a 4 play) and we are not aming to rais the cost. 4 single play units should be the same as a 4 play if not cheeper. The good news is that this design could actully be ready at the same time as the 4-play units are ready. I'll have a meeting with the manufacture about that, comments welcome.

We are planning another KS soon and all backers on this KS will be the first to know. We may have a few limited rewards for such things as this.

Hello all, I'm the author. As for the size and cables... this was made to appeal to the common demand. I personaly like the one box ports mount up front look too but many disagree. The shape was to conserve space and the manifactures idea. We are gathering info on the critismn. The cables are near indisctrutable. A full grown man could easly hang from them. Changing the shape to an all in front at this time would cost a bit, so the funraising must go though on that first. I wish KS has an opinion poll.

As for the single play, relitivly no design time or money will be spent. It's the same thing but a smaller box where the universle port is on the front, usb on back. It would be easy to allow the boxes to link togoether (form a 4 play) and we are not aming to rais the cost. 4 single play units should be the same as a 4 play if not cheeper. The good news is that this design could actully be ready at the same time as the 4-play units are ready. I'll have a meeting with the manufacture about that, comments welcome.

We are planning another KS soon and all backers on this KS will be the first to know. We may have a few limited rewards for such things as this.

Oh, sweet, so I could really just get 4 singles and house them as necessary for my desires? That sounds great. Two kids with colds kept me up basically all night so I'm sure I missed plenty of points in the KS page.

yes, and you can vote. I'm not sure if you need to register or not?

http://blissbox.freeforums.org/ks-opinion-poll-t248.html

We are going to address the goal and keep the prices how they are or lower them some. The 150k was heavy and filled all previose funding as well as a good margin to mass produce. Its clear that both the target price and goal are too high. The manufacture(making the units) does not agree that the price sholud be lowered so it's posible not much will come of that. One posible out come is to drop all retail packaging and go stright up OEM. A box of calbes, the board, and a quick referace sheet. Also marketing or reaching out to relevent backers will be re-done. The best funded KS pages are done so with prepping not waiting till after the launch. Also KS is not the only fundraiser... In addition we may try to offer other types of products like a single version of the adapter though we would have to hit over the target goal to do that.

Either way, all pledguers will know first, including the 1$ pledges and we are going to try to given them an insentive. We will communicate via KS updates first. They will also have the most inpact on what will be offered.

Edited by ulao

yes, and you can vote. I'm not sure if you need to register or not?

http://blissbox.freeforums.org/ks-opinion-poll-t248.html

We are going to address the goal and keep the prices how they are or lower them some. The 150k was heavy and filled all previose funding as well as a good margin to mass produce. Its clear that both the target price and goal are too high. The manufacture(making the units) does not agree that the price sholud be lowered so it's posible not much will come of that. One posible out come is to drop all retail packaging and go stright up OEM. A box of calbes, the board, and a quick referace sheet. Also marketing or reaching out to relevent backers will be re-done. The best funded KS pages are done so with prepping not waiting till after the launch. Also KS is not the only fundraiser... In addition we may try to offer other types of products like a single version of the adapter though we would have to hit over the target goal to do that.

Either way, all pledguers will know first, including the 1$ pledges and we are going to try to given them an insentive. We will communicate via KS updates first. They will also have the most inpact on what will be offered.

You might wanna cut it down to 100K if at all possible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No if anything less. Lag is a high priority here and we constantly are making timing improvements. New discovery thx to the Interrupt Free V-USB project may be possible to add a turbo mode. Its untested and I don't think it will work with the ps3 or xbox but it does sound interesting. It has claimed to bring timing in between polls down to 2ms, however as long as we beat the frame rate we are good.

I have personally owned a Bliss Box for 2-3 years now, and I have to say, this thing is AMAZING!! He has done an amazing job, and I am DYING to get a hold of the Four Play. Trust me when I tell you that this is one amazing device. I collect real hardware. I have several Atari 2600's, 8-bits, 5200, 7800, Intellivision, Colecovision, Odyssey2, PS1-4, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, Dreamcast, NES, SNes and a lot more. I actually PREFER emulation using the BlissBox with real controls!! How else can you use a Saturn controller (considered by many to be the best gamepad ever made) on a Nes, SNES or other system? Use REAL Atari sticks on the colecovision.... Etc.... Etc.... Etc.... This thing is AMAZING!! I go to a couple of classic video game shows a year looking for controllers. I took this thing with me along with my laptop and it was amazing how many people started drooling over this thing!! The developer is a class act. My Saturn connector came loose and I contacted him and he took care of it right away. Short time later, I had it back working as good as new. He also likes the challenge of writing new drivers for devices that have not been tested yet. When I sent it to him, I also sent a Bally Astrocade controller as well, as it was not on the compatability list, and it just simply did not work. The BlissBox now supports Bally Astrocade. :) I just recently got the 3 Flashback units (Atari, Colecovision and Intellivision). I have not tried them yet, but being the Colecovision and Intellivision controllers are not comparable with their ordered counterparts, I am assuming they will not work with Bliss Box.... YET. :)

Want even better news? It runs on the Raspberry Pi!!! So if you build a small emulation station for your large TV, You are GOLDEN!!!

Bottom line: We have to get this thing funded!!!

Edited by scotty