IGNORED

Atari Disk Browser?

Larry

This PC utility was posted here in 2012, I believe. It is handy for looking through ATR images to see their contents, but it currently only supports 90K images.

Was this ever updated? Is there anything like it as a stand-alone PC utility that might be functional with DD, etc images? You can use a few functions in APE to find the same info, but not quite so handy, IMO.

Perhaps the source code was posted someplace?

-Larry

Thanks, guys. I get the same with the ATADIM -- looks like it was written for W95/98, and won't run in compatibility mode for me.

Hi Madi -- the Atari File Mgr. appears to be a tool to add files to a new ATR. So far, I can't see how one mounts an existing ATR to view its contents. (?) Perhaps I'm missing something...

-Larry

This PC utility was posted here in 2012, I believe. It is handy for looking through ATR images to see their contents, but it currently only supports 90K images.

Was this ever updated? Is there anything like it as a stand-alone PC utility that might be functional with DD, etc images? You can use a few functions in APE to find the same info, but not quite so handy, IMO.

-Larry

Hi, Larry!

I don't know if it works with Windows 8 (I don't own any Windows machines) but I remember using makeATR as an ATR viewer.

makeATR can view/modify/create DOS 2.0, MyDOS, and SDFS 2.0 ATRs.

-SteveS

p.s. makeATR.exe works OK with linux/wine but wine on this machine has defaulted to a proportional spaced font. The directories look ugly.

Edited by a8isa1

Hi Steve-

Thanks, I'll check it out.

In the meantime, I went back to APE, and it's actually it's pretty painless to use a a viewer. Open APE, click on LOAD by a drive slot, then click on the ATR you want to see and it pops up in a window. You don't actually have to load it, just open it. And it will work with any valid ATR. (Short ATR's need not apply!) ;)

-Larry

Hi Steve-

Thanks, I'll check it out.

In the meantime, I went back to APE, and it's actually it's pretty painless to use a a viewer. Open APE, click on LOAD by a drive slot, then click on the ATR you want to see and it pops up in a window. You don't actually have to load it, just open it. And it will work with any valid ATR. (Short ATR's need not apply!) ;)

-Larry

I no longer do much digging through old ATRs but back when I did I found makeATR convenient because while viewing the contents of a disk I could also extract files.

I thought I read that Altirra emulator can also view ATRs. I'll try that out later.

-SteveS

Thanks, guys. I get the same with the ATADIM -- looks like it was written for W95/98, and won't run in compatibility mode for me.

Hi Madi -- the Atari File Mgr. appears to be a tool to add files to a new ATR. So far, I can't see how one mounts an existing ATR to view its contents. (?) Perhaps I'm missing something...

-Larry

ATADIM is a drag and drop or send-to or command line atadem myatr.atr..

Put a short cut on the desk top and drag your atr from explorer and drop it on the short cut to ATADIM..

IF this works for you double clicking on a com file xex file or many other extentions will load into and emulator or text editor or picture viewer and I even have my set to play RMTplayer for RMT extentions.. LOL read the Website by Raster. and edit the configuration file if needed..

• Like 1

Hi Larry,

I originally wrote Atari Disk Browser to explore protected disk images in PRO and ATX format. Since most protected stuff was 90k, I never bothered to add support for anything else.

I would like to revisit it at some point but just don't have the bandwidth at the moment.

I could make the source code available if someone is interested in expanding on it. It's written in Java.

ATADIM is a drag and drop or send-to or command line atadem myatr.atr..

Put a short cut on the desk top and drag your atr from explorer and drop it on the short cut to ATADIM..

IF this works for you double clicking on a com file xex file or many other extentions will load into and emulator or text editor or picture viewer and I even have my set to play RMTplayer for RMT extentions.. LOL read the Website by Raster. and edit the configuration file if needed..

Ahhhh... thanks, Roy. That makes all the difference. This is probably the quickest, easiest way to view inside an ATR that I've seen so far!

Love those drag-and-drop utilities!

-Larry

How do you extract the files? In APE you would copy the file to the PC Mirror. But as you mention, the image must first be mounted.?

-Larry

Once you have opened a browser window of a mounted image there are buttons along the top, hovering over a button will popup a text explanation. Files can be added, deleted, or extracted from the image. Extraction can be to any folder, there are also buttons to toggle text conversion and to print a directory listing.

post-26063-0-18099800-1417391080_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Today I copied an old MS-DOS program for viewing the contents of ATR-Images onto my (also quite old) 32Bit Win XP PC. And to my surprise... it worked !!

The tool is named "XDIR 10.x" by Bo and Ernest Schreurs. I simply copied the XDIR.EXE file into the Atari folder on my D: partition, then executed the command prompt (command.exe) and typed in D:, followed by CD ATARI. Then I typed in XDIR and pressed Return/Enter...

The first thing that happened was a dialogue box/window opening with some nice error message which printed something like this: "The application tries to directly access the harddisk. This is not supported. Bla de bla de bla...". Luckily there were two buttons to choose from: "Abort" on the left and "Ignore" on the right. So I chose ignore and... voila, the program worked !!

XDIR can be used to show the contents of hundreds (or thousands) of ATR images quite fast. It supports DOS 2.x/MyDOS filesystem and even SpartaDOS filesystem. It can show the contents of 90k, 130k and 180k disks, think it also shows the Dir of DS/DD (360k) disks, alas bigger disk-images like 720k, 1440k, etc. do not work. But to my surprise it shows the contents of big MyDOS images (e.g. 1MB in size or bigger), as long as they use single density (128 Bytes per sector)...

The program can also extract ALL files from an ATR image (you can configure where it should extract the files), but afaik, it simply extracts all files and one cannot choose a certain file to extract. But I must say, that I only use XDIR to show the contents of ATR images fast (so I might be wrong). Anyways, the tool has two windows, on the left side you see the name of the ATR images, use up/down arrow keys to scroll up and down. On the right side it will show the contents of the current ATR image. Scroll up until you reach ".." and press Return/Enter several times until it displays all your available drives (C:, D:, E:, etc.), it will show your harddisks, floppy-disks, CD/DVD/Blue-Ray and even flash-media drives and you can access these and display the contents of ATR images there.

Did this today and it worked quite good (and my PC has not crashed in any way). But as always, there might be a reason why Win XP gave an error message first - so use the tool at your own risk !! If the 32Bit version of Win-7 also has the command prompt available, XDIR should work there as well...

xdir.zip

• Like 1