LDA buffer,x

EOR buffer+96,x

EOR buffer+192,x

EOR buffer+3*96,x

DEX

BPL

and other buffer is adressed wiith LDX #96

plus CPX

then you got a clear screen procedure with similar structure (STA STA STA).

so it is a good compromise of having unrolling per collum and you got 1 code for 2 buffers. of course you can unroll that for each buffer completly.

I doubt the C64 version displays an unfinished buffer, or does a page switch during active display (that would show real bad tearing).

You should have a closer look then.

Frames get drawn, and parts of them get drawn in another frame. You don't even need to have hawkeyes to see that. Parts pop up , to suggest a movement, while 90% of the frame don't change.

"Tearing" won't happen, because the page flipping waits at least for the "line drawing" been finished.

Here is a "special" video. You see the C64 version to the left and the A8 version to the right.

Seems , there isn't just the draw of non finished frames. There is also a simplified calculation going on.

While on the A8 some "crossed" lines get splitted into different layers, the C64 version very often keeps that crossed lines as crossed lines. Also the hills seem to be less high.

Here is a "special" video. You see the C64 version to the left and the A8 version to the right.

Seems , there isn't just the draw of non finished frames. There is also a simplified calculation going on.

While on the A8 some "crossed" lines get splitted into different layers, the C64 version very often keeps that crossed lines as crossed lines. Also the hills seem to be less high.

Hello emkay,
You say left movie is c64 and right is atari.
I have watch the YouTube movie i think the left screen is look near atari and right is c64 the colour is more red.
Can you confirmed that please.
Thanks for the info i like be hind jaggy lines.
Greeting Marco and i like the musics from you thats all great.

I have watch the YouTube movie i think the left screen is look near atari and right is c64 the colour is more red.

Emkay is correct (should be, he made that movie :) ). Left one is C64, right one is A8 (recognized by colors, screen width, artifacts on right side of screen... C64 doesn't have that kind of color as is on terrain compass on the left("ah")).

@Emkay: I don't get the 'crossed lines' reference... What do you mean by split into layers ?

Hello emkay,

The right one is "Altirra" colours and the playback speed is NTSC.

@Emkay: I don't get the 'crossed lines' reference... What do you mean by split into layers ?

Particular at 38s . The game looks more like a 3D enhanced chessboard than a bunch of hills. You encounter that very often in the C64 version.

the c64 version on the left is played back faster, right? ;)

x2 ;)